SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#463211 - 12/16/18 10:21 AM Re: Do You Only Use STYLE Play ? Yes or No (poll) [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

No...
Altough.. its more then 60%

When i play piano, i only use a drumbeat..
I love playing with a looper...
Sometimes i play along midifile or audio..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#463212 - 12/16/18 10:21 AM Re: Do You Only Use STYLE Play ? Yes or No (poll) [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I probably do 90 percent styles because I like the freedom to be in control of the song structure- open up solos, end the song when I feel it’s time.... Sometimes I run into a song that I feel a style does not do justice to.... Usually because of very specific drum, bass parts or very specific breaks, meter or tiempo . changes. In those cases I can usually find a good midi file or audio track. But to be honest, I would probably use styles a lot less if I had better piano skills , especially left hand bass or bass pedals. Maybe in my next life !

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#463213 - 12/16/18 10:26 AM Re: Do You Only Use STYLE Play ? Yes or No (poll) [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
What annoys me is when people look down on others who use smf, mp3s, etc, orother means to create music... styles..

It’s all about entertainment from my point of view with that said I do use some SMFs and a couple of mp3s. They do the job when I need them to. One of the MP3s I use is for My Way. I recorded the mp3 backing track on my old Tyros using the style called Epic Ballad. There’s nothing like it on the Pa4x, so I use it as an mp3 on the Pa4x when I play that at a gig. Most of the time I do use styles and if there’s a decent piano where I play I’m sure to sit at the piano and play a few tunes, that’s insurance that I play for real and not just playing to backing tracks.

#463215 - 12/16/18 10:32 AM Re: Do You Only Use STYLE Play ? Yes or No (poll) [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
What annoys me is when people look down on others who use smf, mp3s, etc, orother means to create music... styles..

Unless YOU created it, you AREN'T "creating music" when you use a mp3 or SMF. And even if you made it, you're only creating music at the time you were making it. If an artist paints a picture, he is not 'creating art' every time he shows it. The caveat, of course, is what you are adding to it; vocals, additional instrumental parts and/or instrumental solos.

NOBODY LOOKS DOWN ON ANY MUSICIAN that has demonstrated that he/she is a competent musician, no matter what they are playing; arranger keyboard, pipe organ, or juice harp. I think people ONLY look down on people who have no talent and no musical skills at all BUT THINK THAT THEY DO. We enable these people because well, we're kind and don't want to burst their bubble or hurt their feelings. We don't actually look down so much as feel sad (or in some cases, annoyed) that they don't recognize their own deficiencies. This is a hard and harsh reality but it's true.

But maybe I've overstepped or overstated. However, nobody should be offended because if you fall into this category, as I've stated, you aren't aware of it smile smile.

chas

#463219 - 12/16/18 10:41 AM Re: Do You Only Use STYLE Play ? Yes or No (poll) [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
99 percent styles. Rarely use SMF, mainly because of their limitations.

And, Chas, I totally agree with you on this one as well. Mark this date on your calendar. wink

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#463220 - 12/16/18 10:42 AM Re: Do You Only Use STYLE Play ? Yes or No (poll) [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Yes, unless you count just a drumbeat or pads.

#463222 - 12/16/18 10:51 AM Re: Do You Only Use STYLE Play ? Yes or No (poll) [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
99 percent styles. Rarely use SMF, mainly because of their limitations.

And, Chas, I totally agree with you on this one as well. Mark this date on your calendar. wink

Gary

Gary whats the 1% left? wink I also tend to believe style play is a "limitation" vs the others in many ways, but that's me.

Edited by Dnj (12/16/18 10:52 AM)

#463231 - 12/16/18 11:50 AM Re: Do You Only Use STYLE Play ? Yes or No (poll) [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
EVERYTHING has its limits ...
Musical instruments are limited by their very nature i.e. even a Grand Piano is limited to 88 keys ... musicians are limited by their level of talent and creativity ...
So why all this 'debate' ?

#463232 - 12/16/18 12:09 PM Re: Do You Only Use STYLE Play ? Yes or No (poll) [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

I don't know what it is but for some reason there's an underlying tone in some replies to song postings of "illegitimatesy" if you don't use styles, ..... as if SMF, backing tracks, karaoke, and any other means they're playing vs arrangeer styles is somehow wrong? confused1

#463234 - 12/16/18 12:17 PM Re: Do You Only Use STYLE Play ? Yes or No (poll) [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Donny ... maybe your overthinking it ... I got some favorable comments posting songs that I created a backing track for using styles as the basis for the track and so have you ... really, what does it matter? we all do 'our thing' the way we do it ...
We enjoy it, our audiences enjoy it, that's what matters to me ...
'tis the season to be jolly ...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online