SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#461405 - 11/13/18 06:45 AM OT Snow in Louisiana
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Earliest I ever remember having snow here, even though it was just a few flurries, and also the coldest this early. It is still above freezing, 34, so it didn't stick, but forecast is to be 28 tonight.
We generally don't get any snow for a year or so.

#461407 - 11/13/18 06:48 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Hope your working on all your Christmas songs with the EA7 Don for Ernests?...

#461411 - 11/13/18 07:10 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
"you're"

(courtesy of the grammar police)
smile

#461413 - 11/13/18 07:18 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
"you're"

smile

Hey, it SOUNDS the same ... wink

#461414 - 11/13/18 07:19 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

grrrrrr

#461417 - 11/13/18 07:31 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

"you're"

smile

who cares? i dont

#461421 - 11/13/18 07:38 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
I'm so happy that's not only me that struggle with the grammars and correct english writing.
Btw, I'm even worse speak it....
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#461422 - 11/13/18 07:48 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Snow is forecast for here Thursday - Damned I hate winter. Snow is a four letter word.

And, I agree with Dave.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#461423 - 11/13/18 07:49 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
tony mads usa Offline

Yes, but SOME of us were raised with it as a FIRST language ... grin

#461424 - 11/13/18 07:52 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Actually setting up Christmas songs on PA1000 right now. I will use it on outside parties and in the dining room because everything is self-contained...vocal, harmony, text, etc.
The EA7 is set up in the Club Room where I don't move it. It's a hassle to move it, the Harmony M, laptop, mixer, power supplies, lights and cables for all.
It is nice that I can pick it up with one hand and bring it home if I wish though, leaving all the other stuff set up.
The PA4X is patiently waiting in my office for the time I decide I can't get along without it.

#461426 - 11/13/18 07:56 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Originally Posted By Dnj

Actually setting up Christmas songs on PA1000 right now. I will use it on outside parties and in the dining room because everything is self-contained...vocal, harmony, text, etc.
The EA7 is set up in the Club Room where I don't move it. It's a hassle to move it, the Harmony M, laptop, mixer, power supplies, lights and cables for all.
It is nice that I can pick it up with one hand and bring it home if I wish though, leaving all the other stuff set up.
The PA4X is patiently waiting in my office for the time I decide I can't get along without it.

boy you sound like a confused dont know what to play syndrome guy at this point hope something comes out new for you to explore quickly being truly happy isnt easy for arranger kb players

#461427 - 11/13/18 08:04 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Uncle Dave]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
"you're"

smile

"It's Grammer Time"

Attachments
hammer.gif

#461429 - 11/13/18 08:31 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Dnj

boy you sound like a confused dont know what to play syndrome guy at this point hope something comes out new for you to explore quickly being truly happy isnt easy for arranger kb players

Not at all. I have three excellent choices, whichever suits my mood at the time.

#461430 - 11/13/18 08:36 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Dnj

Not at all. I have three excellent choices, whichever suits my mood at the time.

Don, I was just about to answer Donny that you actually sound like a very happy camper with your KB choices ...
Good for you ... keys keys keys

#461431 - 11/13/18 09:16 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Yes, but SOME of us were raised with it as a FIRST language ... grin

ALLEGEDLY.

chas

#461433 - 11/13/18 09:27 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

What? Are periods and commas banned in New Jersey?

"Who cares", you say. I do. It gives me a stomach ache. It's so time-consuming trying to figure out where one sentence stops and another begins. But hey........maybe we're just being petty.

chas

#461434 - 11/13/18 09:44 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: cgiles]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Damn. And here I was thinking of escaping to Shreveport! It's 28 in mountain Home. High of 62 on Friday and than constantly cold for next 10 days.

#461435 - 11/13/18 09:52 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary,

Snow is a four letter word and I don’t like it anymore!! Going back 10 to 30 years ago come this time of year we prayed for snow so we could ski the day after Thanksgiving. Now we pray for it to hold off until after December 27th when we head to sunny Florida for the winter.

On the subject of grammar and writing skills after spending 8 years in a Catholic grammar school with the nuns, I don’t dare use improper grammar. I still have nightmares eek that Sister Mary Cecilia is going to rap my knuckles with a 12 inch wooden ruler.

smile

Edited by Stephenm52 (11/13/18 09:53 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling, punctuation, grammar correction

#461436 - 11/13/18 09:54 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

The "reason why" I turn the sound off most televised sporting events is because many announcers are nearly illiterate, "whethernot" they know it or not. He "should of" "ran" around the end and then he "could of" scored. If it "was" "you and I" out there, we "would of" "ran" the play better... Mrs. Daniel, my English teacher, is surely spinning in her grave.
However, I can see where English would be a real pain if one were learning it as a second language. So many rules, so many sound-alike words, and words that mean different things in different contexts... "It sometimes piques me to peek at a mountain peak."
You might gather that grammar is one of my pet peeves, especially in written form.
There are SO many ways to screw up. There, their, they're....too, to, two...stop me I'm out of control here. smile

#461437 - 11/13/18 09:57 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

anewkeyboardorsomethingnewbettercomeoutsoonsowillbesomethimngtotalkaboutvsheathweatherandfishing

#461438 - 11/13/18 10:03 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I'll shut up if you will. smile

#461439 - 11/13/18 10:14 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: cgiles]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
What? Are periods and commas banned in New Jersey?

"Who cares", you say. I do. It gives me a stomach ache. It's so time-consuming trying to figure out where one sentence stops and another begins. But hey........maybe we're just being petty.

chas

Chas dont be too hard on Donny he cant remember everything when in a rush and sometimes just forgets to use punctuation and the thing about yours and your's I agree with you kinda like their and they're they mean different things but donny says he doesnt care i am having a hard time writing this without punctuation its just something i was taught to do in grade school and i can remember being punished for not using the proper punctuation and contractions i can't stand writing like this so i am going to quit period

#461440 - 11/13/18 10:39 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Could you possibly imagine how difficult it would be to read a newspaper, book, or any written communication if a journalist or columnist were to eliminate punctuation, capital letters, expletives, etc... from their writings? As a retired journalist and columnist I cringe when I see the English language butchered as it is on many Internet forums. I also tend to grit my teeth when I hear a sportscaster during a football game use words such as "git" in place of get, and many other improper pronunciations of simple words used in everyday speech. When I was a newscaster that was referred to as "Lazy Speech."

Grrrrrrr!

Gary cool

#461443 - 11/13/18 10:47 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

I hope our non-American friends for whom English is NOT their first language, don't take offense or think this is directed at them. Their 'second-language' English is 100 times better the average American's second language.....that is, if we had one smile. In fact, that always amazes me; that so many people from non-English speaking countries can communicate effectively, both conversationally and technically, in English. So what does that say about us? Extreme arrogance?.....or just plain lazy. I suspect the latter since we don't even seem to care how we speak our OWN language. But hey, that's America....the land of FREE SPEECH, however convoluted or insulting to the ear it may be.

chas

#461445 - 11/13/18 11:13 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

#461452 - 11/13/18 12:33 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Dnj]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
If you want to see the biggest culprits regarding grammar,punctuation etc.look no further than Facebook.

#461459 - 11/13/18 12:47 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

I hope our non-American friends for whom English is NOT their first language, don't take offense or think this is directed at them. Their 'second-language' English is 100 times better the average American's second language.....that is, if we had one smile. In fact, that always amazes me; that so many people from non-English speaking countries can communicate effectively, both conversationally and technically, in English. So what does that say about us? Extreme arrogance?.....or just plain lazy. I suspect the latter since we don't even seem to care how we speak our OWN language. But hey, that's America....the land of FREE SPEECH, however convoluted or insulting to the ear it may be.
chas

chas, I think there are a few factors that might be taken into consideration. One, is that in speaking to people who have been raised in a Europe, I have found that, primarily due to the proximity of and interaction with neighboring countries, Europeans just naturally seem to learn another language. From what I have been told, a second factor is that in most European schools English is a mandatory second language. Another thing to consider is the fact that we do not know how the general populace in any country speaks their own language. For all we know, they may speak their own language as poorly as we speak ours. wink
I would say that Americans who study a second language enough to be conversant in it probably speak it better than they speak 'English'.

As for what we hear on TV, especially during sports broadcasts, I am often amazed at the fact that the announcers, analysts, etc. are all graduates of prestigious universities - allegedly. And unfortunately, it is not limited to TV or radio. Every day I find typos, poor grammar, misspellings, etc. in our one and only statewide newspaper. In fact, today in a sports article it said "... showing how venerable a team can be", when the writer meant to say "... how vulnerable a team could be".

The shame is, it is only going to get worse, as the younger generations use more and more abbreviations in their texting.
And the fact that many (most?) schools are no longer teaching script opens up a whole new conversation.

#461460 - 11/13/18 12:51 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Back to the OP ... Saturday, driving up to Rhode Island from New York I saw some snow flurries in Connecticut. Only lasted about 10 minutes and nothing stuck to the ground ... maybe just Mother Nature getting things ready ... frown

#461465 - 11/13/18 01:13 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: tony mads usa]
Jerryghr Offline

Back to the OP ... Saturday, driving up to Rhode Island from New York I saw some snow flurries in Connecticut. Only lasted about 10 minutes and nothing stuck to the ground ... maybe just Mother Nature getting things ready ... frown

it waz snowwing hear in buffalo to!!

#461466 - 11/13/18 01:18 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Jerryghr]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Jerryghr

Isn't it ALWAYS ?!? laugh2

Edited by tony mads usa (11/13/18 01:18 PM)

#461470 - 11/13/18 01:28 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: tony mads usa]
Jerryghr Offline

Originally Posted By Jerryghr

Isn't it ALWAYS ?!? laugh2

It wasn't really too bad today!!

Jerryghr

Attachments
sno.jpg

#461475 - 11/13/18 01:48 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Jerryghr]
tony mads usa Offline

I was wondering where that dog was !!! smile

#461495 - 11/13/18 06:46 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
First snow here on Cape Breton Island...several centimeters by the looks of it, but it probably won't stay long.

We had a dragonfly summer here, so I suspect we'll get a colder winter than usual.

Ian

#461510 - 11/14/18 05:38 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Earliest I ever remember having snow here, even though it was just a few flurries, and also the coldest this early. It is still above freezing, 34, so it didn't stick, but forecast is to be 28 tonight.
We generally don't get any snow for a year or so.

Must be that pesky global warming! smile

#461513 - 11/14/18 06:05 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
tony mads usa Offline

Our first snow here in Rhode Island is forecast for late tomorrow afternoon ... 1 to 4 inches depending on where you live, but changing to rain overnight ...
And so it begins ...

#461517 - 11/14/18 07:23 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Rather nippy here on the island...-15 C or 5 F...no matter what way you measure it, it is still colder than a mother-in-law's kiss.

50 mph winds aren't helping...at least it stopped snowing and there isn't much down...mostly blew around.

Good day to be inside...time to break out the coffee/hot chocolate concoction!

Ian

#461520 - 11/14/18 07:57 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Winter time = Christmas songs ...start practicing..

#461527 - 11/14/18 09:31 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: ianmcnll]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By ianmcnll
Rather nippy here on the island...-15 C or 5 F...no matter what way you measure it, it is still colder than a mother-in-law's kiss.

50 mph winds aren't helping...at least it stopped snowing and there isn't much down...mostly blew around.

Good day to be inside...time to break out the coffee/hot chocolate concoction!

Ian

Good to see you, Ian. Yea, some rough out your way. They closed the Confederaion Bridge today. Not bad out here on the prairie today, though.

#461532 - 11/14/18 09:42 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Yes, Donny ... it's time to get ready ... in fact, I have my first gig where they want a Christmas sing a long this weekend ... Too early for me - I prefer not to play Christmas music until after Thanksgiving, but what the client wants ...

#461533 - 11/14/18 09:44 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Yes, Donny ... it's time to get ready ... in fact, I have my first gig where they want a Christmas sing a long this weekend ... Too early for me - I prefer not to play Christmas music until after Thanksgiving, but what the client wants ...

Just add some Sleigh Bells multi-pads to every song and start playing and singing LOL..

here you go KORG bells... enjoy keys

Attachments
XMAS BELLS.zip (25 downloads)

Edited by Dnj (11/14/18 09:47 AM)

#461534 - 11/14/18 09:54 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Thanks for the bells ...

#461543 - 11/14/18 11:16 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
"you're"

smile

who cares? i dont

With as many posts as you submit ... it'd be nice, if you did.

#461546 - 11/14/18 11:32 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
ZootAllures Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I live and embrace life here in the Northeast. The downside is if you don't like the cold, you're likely to be unhappy with the weather for much of the year. I just never "warmed up" to life in the deep south enough to move there, but I totally get why folks would want to, at least part time if not for life.

I thrive on life here in upstate NY, Northeast PA, and northern New England. I love both the Portland and coastal areas of Maine and the White Mts in NH. They are 90 mins of driving apart from each other and I have spent many really happy days up there.

So I tolerate the Winters. I used to actually love them, but not as much as I've aged. Snow in La at this time of year is kind of a surprising concept though. I'd have never guessed it ! OTOH, if anyone in this area isn't ready for it to fly by early November, you're likely either a tourist or someone who NEEDS to travel south.

#461550 - 11/14/18 12:14 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

The older I get, the colder I get! :)It was just 28 degrees here when I got out of bed, and today's high is supposed to be about 49 - HAH! The thermometer on my patio door reads 40 and tomorrow's forecast is for a winter mix, changing to all rain with a high of 35. Damned I hate winter in this part of the world.

Gary cool

#461567 - 11/14/18 02:37 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

It was also 28 here this morning. No snow or rain though. Slowing warming the rest of the week until another front comes through.

#461570 - 11/14/18 02:59 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: travlin'easy]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Snow is forecast for here Thursday - Damned I hate winter. Snow is a four letter word.:

Gary: Come on down to Cape Coral,Fl...you can still buy a brand new 1800 sq. ft house with all appliances for 210k.

Keep that sail boat in the water all year round!

#461571 - 11/14/18 03:09 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: jingleman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Snow is forecast for here Thursday - Damned I hate winter. Snow is a four letter word.:

Gary: Come on down to Cape Coral,Fl...you can still buy a brand new 1800 sq. ft house with all appliances for 210k.

Oh yeah great idea!

#461573 - 11/14/18 03:22 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
ZootAllures Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Don, that's potentially good marketing material for a Geico commercial. "Snow in Louisiana in November ? Surprising ! Saving 15% or more on car insurance etc etc .. Not surprising" !

#461574 - 11/14/18 03:40 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: ZootAllures]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By ZootAllures
Don, that's potentially good marketing material for a Geico commercial. "Snow in Louisiana in November ? Surprising ! Saving 15% or more on car insurance etc etc .. Not surprising" !

smile

#461575 - 11/14/18 04:26 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Oh yeah great idea!

Outdoor gigs all year round as well Donny....

#461576 - 11/14/18 04:29 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: jingleman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Oh yeah great idea!

Outdoor gigs all year round as well Donny....

I hate hot weather sorry... Yuk

#461578 - 11/14/18 06:18 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I had to blow the leaves to get them off sidewalk before snow covers it tomorrow..considering Virginia...

Donny..I bought a psr950 for KeyboardAmerica years back while staying with friends in Delaware..guys got wall to wall Yamahas..and no sales tax. Ever go there?

Edited by sparky589 (11/14/18 06:20 PM)

#461579 - 11/14/18 06:35 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: sparky589]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By sparky589
I had to blow the leaves to get them off sidewalk before snow covers it tomorrow..considering Virginia...

Donny..I bought a psr950 for KeyboardAmerica years back while staying with friends in Delaware..guys got wall to wall Yamahas..and no sales tax. Ever go there?

No never been there ever, but sounds like an interesting store. ... I have many friends I usally deal with for purchasing gear dealers and private.

Edited by Dnj (11/14/18 06:36 PM)

#461580 - 11/14/18 06:52 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

I've fished out of Usepa Island, Florida at Boca Grande Cut for tarpon during their annual Tarpon Tournament. Great place to be in the winter, but much too hot and humid for me during the summer. It's a lot nicer in the Keys for year round living, IMO. Lower temperatures, low humidity and incredible fishing and sailing on both the Atlantic side and the Gulf side.

Don't need a house - I already have a great boat to live aboard and I can change locations to fit the climate.

All the best,

Gary cool

Attachments
Saturday's Child.JPG (53 downloads)

Edited by travlin'easy (11/14/18 06:54 PM)

#461614 - 11/15/18 08:17 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: travlin'easy]
ekurburski Offline

Don't need a house - I already have a great boat to live aboard and I can change locations to fit the climate.

This is why I'm dreaming of a motor home. Boats are pretty and I love the water but get sea sick in a rowboat.

#461624 - 11/15/18 08:42 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: ekurburski]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By ekurburski

This is why I'm dreaming of a motor home. Boats are pretty and I love the water but get sea sick in a rowboat.

Be careful what you wish for. I had a TOTL 40' diesel pusher which I was no longer able to use because of health problems in the family. I lost about 65k on the sale and consider myself lucky. No matter how well built, they will always be a high-maintenance item. When we bought our current home @ two years ago, the HOA would not allow a motorhome to be stored, even if it were hidden from the street. So in addition to high maintenance cost and horrendous insurance costs, there was also $250/mo. storage. Also, you will find that you won't use it nearly as much as you think you will prior to purchace smile. I have owned 5 small planes (1 A36 Bonanza and 4 light twins) and maintaining a large motorhome comes close in terms of maintenance costs. Your relationship with it will likely progress from love to love/hate to hate. Other than that, I highly recommend it smile.

chas

#461640 - 11/15/18 09:35 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

I had a neighbor who decided to go the motor-home route, purchased a 40-footer, drove it to Nevada, where he purchased a home and tried to sell the motor home. It took three years to sell it, and he lost a bundle. He said it was the biggest mistake he made in his life.

Boats, especially sail boats, are pretty much constant maintenance, but primarily small stuff. Of course, everyone that has ever owned a boat knows the the word BOAT is an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand. Fortunately, I am able to do the vast majority of the maintenance myself. Unfortunately, the boat is still in the water and getting deluged with wet snow.

It's snowing very hard here right now and there is about 3 inches on the sidewalk and driveway. I just went out and refilled the bird feeder with black oil sunflower seed, which made the birds happy. They were flocking to the feeder while I was hanging it up on the shepherd's hook. I'll shoot some vids in a few minutes so you can get an idea of what winter is like here.

The neighborhood kids love the snow - schools are closed and they're outside building snow forts, snowmen, and sledding.

All the best,

Gary

#461642 - 11/15/18 09:42 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

I had a neighbor who decided to go the motor-home route, purchased a 40-footer, drove it to Nevada, where he purchased a home and tried to sell the motor home. It took three years to sell it, and he lost a bundle. He said it was the biggest mistake he made in his life.

Boats, especially sail boats, are pretty much constant maintenance, but primarily small stuff. Of course, everyone that has ever owned a boat knows the the word BOAT is an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand. Fortunately, I am able to do the vast majority of the maintenance myself. Unfortunately, the boat is still in the water and getting deluged with wet snow.

It's snowing very hard here right now and there is about 3 inches on the sidewalk and driveway. I just went out and refilled the bird feeder with black oil sunflower seed, which made the birds happy. They were flocking to the feeder while I was hanging it up on the shepherd's hook. I'll shoot some vids in a few minutes so you can get an idea of what winter is like here.

The neighborhood kids love the snow - schools are closed and they're outside building snow forts, snowmen, and sledding.

All the best,

Gary

Motor homes,Boats, Motorcycles, etc,.. are all over peoples lawns with big FOR SALE signs on them.....its like a Boat also you get excited, got to have it, fight with your wife until she submits, buy it use it a few times, try to talk all your friends into coming on board .....and then it happens the thrill is gone, you hardly use it, it sits there, your wife is pissed to hell, your still making payments for years,....and then someone comes along that's interested and you have to dump it for a song just to get it off your lawn and make the wife happy again as she tells you..."See I told You So" wink

#461647 - 11/15/18 10:59 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Really coming down in NW jersey. Everything's covered.

Love rv's but watched video of a guy who broke down with a brake problem and local repair shop had to order custom parts from manufacturer so on top of repair cost he had to pay for hotel and rental car for a week until parts delivered and installed.,,

I think I may opt for one I can tow and leave it somewhere I can use as a getaway to sit by fire. Local ordinance doesn't allow open fires or fire pits without a chimney (chimineas allowed)..

Edited by sparky589 (11/15/18 11:02 AM)

#461648 - 11/15/18 11:01 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Just raining in sj.. No big deal..

#461649 - 11/15/18 11:09 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, my wife loves being on the boat, just doesn't want to live on one that is under 100 feet long. I lived on my boat for six months and loved it. It has all the conveniences of home, far less expensive than living on land, and I can cross the ocean with it.

I never had a boat payment - paid cash for every one of the 17 boats I've owned in the 56 years we have been married. And, in nearly ever instance, I sold the boat for as much or more than I paid for it. I guess things must be different in central Jersey. wink

The snow is still coming down here, about 4 inches on the sidewalk and driveway and the way it looks on weather radar, we will probably get a couple more inches before it ends.

I just shot this short video from the kitchen door, and that pesky squirrel is still trying to figure out a way to get to the bird feeder without getting shocked by my squirrel zapper. Notice has fast he runs across the deck rail with he gets close to the feeder. He's getting a tingle through his toes from an 800 volt zapper just beneath the snow, OUCH!

Gary cool (The happy boat owner)

#461655 - 11/15/18 11:47 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Donny, my wife loves being on the boat, just doesn't want to live on one that is under 100 feet long. I lived on my boat for six months and loved it. It has all the conveniences of home, far less expensive than living on land, and I can cross the ocean with it.

I never had a boat payment - paid cash for every one of the 17 boats I've owned in the 56 years we have been married. And, in nearly ever instance, I sold the boat for as much or more than I paid for it. I guess things must be different in central Jersey. wink

The snow is still coming down here, about 4 inches on the sidewalk and driveway and the way it looks on weather radar, we will probably get a couple more inches before it ends.

I just shot this short video from the kitchen door, and that pesky squirrel is still trying to figure out a way to get to the bird feeder without getting shocked by my squirrel zapper. Notice has fast he runs across the deck rail with he gets close to the feeder. He's getting a tingle through his toes from an 800 volt zapper just beneath the snow, OUCH!
Gary cool (The happy boat owner)

lol tell that to all the FOR SALE sign owners alongthe roads .. rotf2
get your snow plow ready....glad its just raining here..

#461663 - 11/15/18 12:32 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

My son is in Virginia this week doing some training for his job. He sent me pictures of some pretty good snowfall. He'll be leaving there this afternoon, two hour layover in Atlanta, and then back home.
Pretty nice here now, 55 and sunny. Maybe winter is over, finally! smile

#461671 - 11/15/18 04:24 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: cgiles]
jingleman Offline

Originally Posted By ekurburski

Be careful what you wish for. I had a TOTL 40' diesel pusher which I was no longer able to use because of health problems in the family. I lost about 65k on the sale and consider myself lucky. No matter how well built, they will always be a high-maintenance item. When we bought our current home @ two years ago, the HOA would not allow a
motorhome to be stored, even if it were hidden from
the street. So in addition to high maintenance cost and horrendous insurance costs, there was also $250/mo. storage. Also, you will find that you won't use it nearly as much as you think you will prior to purchace smile. I have owned 5 small planes (1 A36 Bonanza and 4 light twins) and maintaining a large motorhome comes close in terms of maintenance costs. Your relationship with it will likely progress from love to love/hate to hate. Other than that, I highly recommend it smile.

chas

Guys: I’ve had my share of boats and rv’s. Took a little beating on them all when selling. My biggest beating was running a recording studio for 33 years. I should’ve known to quit after the good times instead of waiting for them to return. I guess that’s why I’m a cop at 64 years old. Makin’ Up for lost time.

jingleman

Edited by jingleman (11/15/18 04:25 PM)

#461725 - 11/16/18 06:20 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
ekurburski Offline

I know, I know.
nothing I want is going to be perfect. If I buy a new kb a year later I will take a beating on it. It's that way with everything. So buy what you want when you can and enjoy it. Maybe I will and maybe I won't. Don't have the $ now so its just all wishful dreaming anyway.

#461727 - 11/16/18 06:40 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: jingleman]
tony mads usa Offline

I guess that’s why I’m a cop at 64 years old. Makin’ Up for lost time.
jingleman

Thank you for your service ... clap

#461728 - 11/16/18 07:27 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: tony mads usa]
jingleman Offline

I guess that’s why I’m a cop at 64 years old. Makin’ Up for lost time.
jingleman

Thank you for your service ... clap

Thanks Tony

#461730 - 11/16/18 07:36 PM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Jingleman, I was a Maryland State Trooper when I met my wife - the pay back then was $51.50 a week - not enough to live on. After a year, I went to work in the field of medicine, the pay was a whopping $125 a week. My bride went grocery shopping, spent $10, came home with 4 to 5 bags of groceries, including steak and chicken. Those were the days. smile

Gary cool

#461739 - 11/17/18 04:14 AM Re: OT Snow in Louisiana [Re: travlin'easy]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
Back in the day I was chicken to go shopping for steak. My wife would have killed me. LOL

MEL

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online