SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#459306 - 10/09/18 05:06 AM Re: MODX/Montage vs Genos [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
From what I've read, this instrument is a tremendous bang-for-the-buck, BUT....my guess is that very few people on THIS board would be interested in it.....for several reasons:

1. NO ARRANGER FUNCTIONS

2. Learning curve too steep for most people in this age group (unless they come from a technical background). Your own review, although very good and very thorough, only adds to the intimidation factor.

3. Just like my Crumar SEVEN, it is too costly and too complex (tedious) for just a expanded sound set, especially given the available sounds in ALL the modern arranger keyboards. As you yourself stated, only 'geeks' (of which their are FEW among arranger players) would ever explore the (admittedly vast) potential of this keyboard. Most musicians, and arranger players in particular, just want to play (not 90% programming and 10% playing).

Personally, I think it's great that we have someone like you on board to give us 'real life' reviews on instruments that we might be seduced into buying without a full knowledge of what we are getting into. I myself was about to purchase the 76key version of the MODX but realized after reading your review, that although it is a terrific instrument (for some), that I was never going to make that kind of investment in time. Some might question why I would spend 2300.00 for a keyboard (SEVEN) just to get 3 or 4 good (great, actually) Rhodes-type sounds. For one, I love the Rhodes/Wurlie/Dx7 sounds and they are excellent right out of the box. Plus, I consider it a 'permanent' lifetime type instrument which I won't be 'upgrading' in the future....much like a B3. But in the end, different strokes for different folks. I've got a feeling you're really going to enjoy your MODX for a long time. I'm kind of jealous really, a Kronos AND a MODX. Sure wish I still had the energy and patience I had 25 years ago smile.

chas

#459321 - 10/09/18 08:03 AM Re: MODX/Montage vs Genos [Re: Bachus]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By Mikem

Bachus, congratulations on your new MODX! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying it, and give it a thumbs up!

You mention that it sounds like a Genos, minus the Super Articulation 2 voices. It's that good, huh? ( or, as we say here in Canada, "eh?" ). smile

Thanks for taking the time to share your views of it. I'm sure it will help many to decide to get it. smile

The sound is the same as the montage, and it has double the dsp power / track as the genos.. the genos dsp and sound is on the same level as the montage...

It also has more then double the wave rom of the genos... giving much more depth and options in the traditional keyboard sounds like piano, digital piano, strings, pads and offcorse synthesizer sounds...

Thanks for your response, Bachus! smile

#459323 - 10/09/18 08:10 AM Re: MODX/Montage vs Genos [Re: deb]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By deb
The MODX could be a very interesting instrument but Bachus you
forgot one important thing .

The Genos has Aftertouch !

The MODX has no Aftertouch !

Deb

No aftertouch...
But if you play it froma keybed (trough midi) remotely...
it atleast supports aftertouch...

Its just like psr keyboards, they dont have aftertouch either..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#459324 - 10/09/18 08:13 AM Re: MODX/Montage vs Genos [Re: john smies]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By john smies

Interesting reading Bachus, thank you.
Friend of mine had the 76 keys version on trial and was impressed as well but did return it to the shop for the sole reason of the keys. According to him the keybed was okay as far as the white keys were concerned, but it was horrendous on the black keys.
( noisy, rattling, etc.etc.) Was he just unlucky or do all of them display this phenomenon ?

John

On my 61, there isnt much ratling on black keys ...
The keybed is extremely light..
But not cluncky..

Actually, i am surprised how fast i got used to it...

#459325 - 10/09/18 08:14 AM Re: MODX/Montage vs Genos [Re: Impuls]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Impuls
Does the Modx have the drawbar display of the Genos ?

Impuls

No...

#459327 - 10/09/18 08:27 AM Re: MODX/Montage vs Genos [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
From what I've read, this instrument is a tremendous bang-for-the-buck, BUT....my guess is that very few people on THIS board would be interested in it.....for several reasons:

1. NO ARRANGER FUNCTIONS

2. Learning curve too steep for most people in this age group (unless they come from a technical background). Your own review, although very good and very thorough, only adds to the intimidation factor.

3. Just like my Crumar SEVEN, it is too costly and too complex (tedious) for just a expanded sound set, especially given the available sounds in ALL the modern arranger keyboards. As you yourself stated, only 'geeks' (of which their are FEW among arranger players) would ever explore the (admittedly vast) potential of this keyboard. Most musicians, and arranger players in particular, just want to play (not 90% programming and 10% playing).

Personally, I think it's great that we have someone like you on board to give us 'real life' reviews on instruments that we might be seduced into buying without a full knowledge of what we are getting into. I myself was about to purchase the 76key version of the MODX but realized after reading your review, that although it is a terrific instrument (for some), that I was never going to make that kind of investment in time. Some might question why I would spend 2300.00 for a keyboard (SEVEN) just to get 3 or 4 good (great, actually) Rhodes-type sounds. For one, I love the Rhodes/Wurlie/Dx7 sounds and they are excellent right out of the box. Plus, I consider it a 'permanent' lifetime type instrument which I won't be 'upgrading' in the future....much like a B3. But in the end, different strokes for different folks. I've got a feeling you're really going to enjoy your MODX for a long time. I'm kind of jealous really, a Kronos AND a MODX. Sure wish I still had the energy and patience I had 25 years ago smile.

chas

Wise words..

And when i look at the average level of posts with questions on psr-tutorial, its obvious most people will never even grasp how to use the modx as its meant to be used..let even try to make it work more like an arranger.. no if you want an arranger, please buy an arranger... if you want an adventure, the modx is just great..

Altough, even if people just use it as a 2nd keyboard on top of the genos, and stick to the build in performances, its still a great instrument... the basics of the instrument arent that hard to grasp... just see it as a mixer with 16 channels.. and work from there..

#459328 - 10/09/18 08:31 AM Re: MODX/Montage vs Genos [Re: deb]
mweuch Offline

Originally Posted By deb
The MODX could be a very interesting instrument but Bachus you
forgot one important thing .

The Genos has Aftertouch !

The MODX has no Aftertouch !

Deb

Maybe because the Genos cost almost 6K while the MODX starting at $1300? Not sure but the Genos is like buying a house lol.

#459329 - 10/09/18 08:36 AM Re: MODX/Montage vs Genos [Re: Bachus]
mweuch Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By mweuch
Hi Bachus, thanks for the detail info. I just have a some quick questions if you don't mind answering. I mainly plays arrangers so when you say PERFORMANCE on the MODX, that means STYLES on the Genos? and when you say performance parts on the modx what style parts on the Genos are such as rhythm1' rhythm2, bass, chord1 and such? What VARIATIONS on the genos are called SCENES on the modx? Thanks I am hoping to get modx6 in couple months hopefully to add it with my genos and use them together. I already got the 2nd Gen iPad with Cubasis 2.6 installed and would like to used it with the MODX too. Thank you very much!

I think you misunderstood me...

A Performance on the modx consists out of 16 parts..
From those 16 parts 8 parts can be assigned to the keyboard.
Each of those 8 parts can be ...
1) a normal sound like the r1 to r3 on genos
2) an arp part, playing a pattern
When you set up the arp in the right way, it can function almost exactly like a non drum style part like bass accompstyle part like bass and chird parts..
3) a drum best
4) part of a bigger sound, the main cfx pian consists of 4 parts.
There is nothing like an arranger inside the modx out of the box, but with some skills itand a lot of work it can be made to mimic an arranger.
So basically a performabce consists out of 8 parts and you have all freedom to assign them, like a drum part, a bass part and 2 chord parts.. and 4 keyboard. Parts/splits..
Or just 8 keyboard parts.. arps when programmed correctly. An function like arranger tracks, but they can do much much more...

The 8 parts not assigned to the keybed can be used from external devices liek the connected ipad.. for sequencing.

Keep in mind, nothing works out ofthe box andyou haveto set it all up yourself... thats why for 99% of the people the modx will never come close to replacing an arranger... dor convenient arranger access, you need to connect an arranger module...like ketron sd40. Or be a nerd like me.

About the ipad.. a gen2 ioad can be used for midi.. however it misses the raw processing power of my ipad pro to be a meaningfull soundsource.. i have a 2017 ipad pro which has generally about 100 times the raw processing poser of an ipad gen 2. Mobile devices have made a huge leap over ghelast few years.. so dont expect miracles from your ilad gen 2.. it makes a good midi sequencer and eeitor with cubasis.. but thats about it. Compare it to an atari st. While my ipad pro comes close to the latest laptops in processing power, allowing me to do much much more...

I hope this infohelps youbetter understand the modx and the way i use it.

Thanks Bachus! I guess I have to really get one to truly understand how it works! Also I meant I got the 2nd Gen iPad Pro, not 2nd iPads. Thanks again!

#459737 - 10/15/18 12:31 PM Re: MODX/Montage vs Genos [Re: Bachus]
Darius Offline

Loc: Germany
Hello,
a combination of MODX and an arranger-App on IPad would be a great option for portability. If some of you are interested in this, I recommend to experiment with the following apps :
* [X MURE] from Dexibell : this is an audio-based arranger-app that can be driven by any MIDI Keyboard. The backing tracks sound incredibly live. On my IPad Pro I set the latency to the minimum : it runs fine. Current limitations: no real introductions, Fade-out instead of Ending.
* [One Man Band Live for IPad] from Jos Maas : this is the IPad version of a MIDI arranger-software that has been available for many years on Windows/MacOS. It is capable of playing Yamaha styles. The design is basic but it is very functionnal. A limitation to my opinion is the lack of possibility to assign specific Voices to a backing track. The app reads the voice settings in the style file and can send them either as GM or XG or "identical" sounds. So, in order to change the voice of a track you will need... a Genos or a PSR keyboard. We´re back to the root.
Darius

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online