SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#459147 - 10/06/18 11:26 AM Ketron SD7 file hierachy
Sapphire Online   content

Loc: Benfleet, Essex. UK
I am a bit confused by the SD7 file system. As far as I can see, if you have a style to save it can only be placed in one of the ten places, ie User/Ballad User/Pop etc. So if I want to save styles as follows :- User/Latin/Fast - User Latin Medium - User Latin Slow it cannot be done unless using the Media button but then everytime a you finish playing a style pressing the media button takes you back to the first style in that folder. If there are lots of files in that folder then it can take some time to get back to where you were originally.

On the Yamaha system it is so simple. Create a Latin folder then a sub folder Latin Slow etc. and when you finish playing a style by pressing the style button on the screen (option D if anyone is familiar with the Yamaha Tyros) it takes you straight back to the style you were playing. No messing, total continuity.

I can create sub folders within the main ten folders on the SD7 but they do not show when selecting styles.

I hope you can understand the problem and I welcome any input whatsoever.

Alan shocked

Edited by Sapphire (10/06/18 11:28 AM)

#459175 - 10/06/18 11:28 PM Re: Ketron SD7 file hierachy [Re: Sapphire]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi Alan,

You can put your style ANYWHERE you want. Only the styles in the proper directories can be accessed using the different "Style" buttons.

However, you can use the "Disk" button to access any other style in any other directory.

Once you've included the style in a registration, all you need to access your style is to select the registration button.

If you intend to use a style very often, then I suggest to put in the proper directory. If not, put ANYWHERE you wish.

The ONLY advantages of styles in the default directories are:

1. If you want to use the Style in "Edit" mode.
2. If you want to find a style quickly.
3. If you want to copy sections from one style into another.

Other than that, it does not really matter where your style resides. When I play live, I use ONLY registrations and even if the style is no longer onboard, it will still be included in your registration.

#459192 - 10/07/18 07:49 AM Re: Ketron SD7 file hierachy [Re: Henni]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Alan,
I have used a Ketron SD7 for 3 years. I have saved styles I tweaked in all kinds of folders other than the USER folders like you mentioned. I have folders named 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s for song styles from those periods of times. The Ketron OS is not as straight forward as the Yamaha OS - but it is not a Yamaha keyboard. Once learned it is not difficult to setup folders for your styles anyway you need them to be.

This said, I have complained many times to AJ that when we do tweak a style and then save it - we do NOT have control over where it goes and then we have to use the Disk Edit function to move it to where we want it to be. I have been told Italy has been informed about this many times but seems to not think it is a big issue for users.

My solution to this is to connect a computer to the SD7 and do whatever I need to do with the computer.

Deane

#459194 - 10/07/18 07:54 AM Re: Ketron SD7 file hierachy [Re: Henni]

Hi Henni,

thanks for replying. Basically you have just explained what I already do but it would have been nice if I could have had nested folders within the ten folders on the home screen. Obviously with only ten categories then eventually some of the folders will contain very many styles and finding a particular style quite time consuming.

However, it is what it is and I still love the SD7 anyway.

Thanks again,

Alan

#459196 - 10/07/18 08:07 AM Re: Ketron SD7 file hierachy [Re: Sapphire]

Hi Deane,

thank you for replying also.

I just find that using the media button to access the files is so clumsy.

When previewing styles to see if they are worth keeping or not we have to use the media button to access the HD and select which style to play

Lets say I have a folder with 50 styles. I select style 30 and load into memory. Then I want to preview style 31 in that same folder so I press media then I have to press on the HD icon which then takes me to the first style in that folder instead of back to style 30 so I then have to scroll until I reach file 31.

Very messy and time consuming.

I hope I have explained this O.K. It's not impossible that it is me that is missing something (probably my brain).

Thanks again

Alan.

#459312 - 10/09/18 06:41 AM Re: Ketron SD7 file hierachy [Re: Sapphire]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Before the time of the SD7, I complained about this same problem when I bought my Midjpro so it's obvious that Ketron has no intention of listening to the people who praise them and keep them in business.
In the case of the Midjpro, another big fault is that an edited voice saved in a style or a registration will not be remembered and will be replaced with the original standard voice instead (don't know if this is the case in SD7 or later).
How can they be so brilliant and so annoying at the same time?
Tony

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online