SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#458968 - 10/02/18 08:52 AM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: Uncle Dave]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Different strokes for diferent folks. You're quitting at 74 and I'm just trying to get back into gigging (planning on doing the nursing homes) at 75. I may be dreaming but I think that the nh circuit is the one place my age and my song library would be accepted. I do not however plan on doing 16-18 hour days!

#458969 - 10/02/18 09:28 AM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: ekurburski]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks folks. I've just always been an "all in" or "all out" person.

Any complaining about my good luck is a real "wimp out" deal.

Actually, after I added 120 hours a month of studio time a few years ago, I knew I had to cut back on something. Then, I added two divisions of an Italian customer as marketing clients. Now, Two Italian door manufacturers are asking me to prepare all marketing materials for introduction of their products to US "big box" stores. Two of the biggest chains have agreed to take the lines if I will agree to do the work.

These two companies are owned by family members from the staircase company I have been working with for over 25 years.

Thing is, I love doing film production, packaging, copy and photography as much playing music. Luckily, everything today involves broadcast quality video, and my product features superior quality audio and scores, which gives me an advantage.

I really don't want to stop anything, and the last day of vacation I had was July, 1982.

Plus, I have commitments to complete three larger writing projects I've promised the University.

I'd probably be fine if I could do this stuff "first come, first served", but it doesn't work that way.

WHAT A WIMP!

Be well, everyone.

R.

Edited by captain Russ (10/02/18 09:30 AM)

#458990 - 10/02/18 03:18 PM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I'm guessing the people you are working for, playing for , promising projects for, all take some vacation time and you've probably had to wait for them to get some approval or complete something. So take one yourself- you might like it and realize you need more. And that's OK. No sense chasing after all of the work in the world if you can't get it done. There are others, and getting the work over them might feel good and pay well, but you're missing out on other things..
I just lost someone very close very quickly two weeks ago..I am wishing we spent more time together than pursuing my own interests. You can't get that time back..

#459018 - 10/03/18 08:08 AM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By captain Russ
I've just always been an "all in" or "all out" person.

I'd probably be fine if I could do this stuff "first come, first served", but it doesn't work that way.

You'll be the richest man in the cemetery, if you're not careful!
(and I've yet to see a tombstone that read "I wish a had found more time to WORK!")

#459020 - 10/03/18 08:34 AM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

I had many friends and great working musicians that didn't stop & take the time to smell the roses & enjoy quality time with their family and are now smelling dirt, so sad.....miss them all.
Remember we all can be easily replaced. R.I.P.

#459021 - 10/03/18 08:53 AM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think one has to balance work with pleasure, and if working brings you pleasure, then what? Play to me might be work to others. If one is operating out of shear determination to meet his responsibilities,however, I would watch my stress levels. At this stage of the game, I would hope that we do things that bring us pleasure, not pain. After all, we deserve it, and so do our loved ones.
Bernie

#459022 - 10/03/18 08:56 AM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I think one has to balance work with pleasure, and if working brings you pleasure, then what? Play to me might be work to others. If one is operating out of shear determination to meet his responsibilities,however, I would watch my stress levels. At this stage of the game, I would hope that we do things that bring us pleasure, not pain. After all, we deserve it, and so do our loved ones.
Bernie

Bernie I'll just refer to this from the movie the "Godfather" in regards to working too much!

cool2

Edited by Dnj (10/03/18 08:57 AM)

#459024 - 10/03/18 09:30 AM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj

refer to this from the movie the "Godfather" in regards to working too much!

Yes, that movie depicts the real essence of how a man should act. (WRONG!) Murdering, cheating, thieving, womanizing, cold hearted shells of beings. They talk about love of family, and respect, but they have no regard for actual life.They respect nothing, unless it benefits their cause. Remember the toll booth? Yikes.

Donny, I know you love all things Italian, but those mob movies don't show the best side of our heritage. Frankly, I'm a little embarrassed by the stereotypes they propagate.
(and it's SAUCE, all the way)
smile

#459025 - 10/03/18 09:58 AM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Well Dave we all have our own opinions and I respect that....
either way the message stated is crystal clear.
But I can agree it's "SAUCE" always though.

#459032 - 10/03/18 01:53 PM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Russ:

When possible, never make "snap decisions." You are a valued member of this community. Consider Mason's advice. Nothing wrong with slowing down the pace a bit. Wish I had your youth and energy.

Regardless, all my best. ----Dave Rice

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online