SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#458499 - 09/22/18 12:21 PM Which 88 key keyboard?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I have a 9 year old granddaughter who has expressed an interest in playing a piano.
I know these interests often don't last so I am searching for a sensible purchase for her.
I want it to have built in speakers with a headphone jack but not have dozens of features with all kinds of buttons to confuse her -basically - just a good 88 key piano.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Deane

#458502 - 09/22/18 12:53 PM Re: Which 88 key keyboard? [Re: hammer]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#458511 - 09/22/18 02:43 PM Re: Which 88 key keyboard? [Re: hammer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with Jonathan - wise choice.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#458514 - 09/22/18 03:21 PM Re: Which 88 key keyboard? [Re: hammer]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That one has poor polyphony, and the line out shuts off the speakers .... making it harder to resell if they advance.

#458519 - 09/22/18 10:33 PM Re: Which 88 key keyboard? [Re: hammer]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By hammer
I have a 9 year old granddaughter who has expressed an interest in playing a piano.
I know these interests often don't last so I am searching for a sensible purchase for her.
I want it to have built in speakers with a headphone jack but not have dozens of features with all kinds of buttons to confuse her -basically - just a good 88 key piano.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Deane

Where it comes to keybed action and good sound..

May i advise Kawai..
Also Roland high end keybed ph-50 is very good..
Both these keybeds are used by classical concert pianists to train at home..
And the keybed and soun in general is favored above upright piano’s
That have a very different touch in the first place..

If you could state your budget..
And if you want a mobile piano or furniture piece

With jus a little more info i could advise you a specific type of brand..
Not only based on my own opinion, but also on general conensus on the piano forums i visit daily

Money wise, its best to choose a used one in good condition..
Many other kids stop in the first year..so choice enough
If you have to resell it, you will get allmost all your money back..
And if she keeps playing, you will not have to upgrade in the first years to come..
Buying the cheapest isnt allways wha costs you less money in the end..

Witouth a good teacher, chances are high she will quit..
A good teacher learns her a lot, but will also keep her motivated and make sure she is having fun playing the piano.. the last part is extremely important.. because learning piano often quickly turns into a chore..

Edited by Bachus (09/22/18 10:40 PM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#458520 - 09/22/18 10:46 PM Re: Which 88 key keyboard? [Re: shueymusic]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By shueymusic

For piano training Yamaha’s GHS keybed isn’t the best choice in this price range..
Same goes for the actuall piano sound quallity
Kawai es 110 and or Roland fp30 make more sense and are conceived better choices in his price range

This answer is not only based on my personal opinions, but also on questions asked and answered on the piano players forum. Almost everyone there gave this advise, including piano teachers..

He could also try and find a used kawai es100, which offers nearly identical sound to the es110 and the keybed is even perceived better..

Edited by Bachus (09/22/18 10:49 PM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#458527 - 09/23/18 08:07 AM Re: Which 88 key keyboard? [Re: Bachus]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Roland Pianos have a free app that could make the piano learning a lot of fun for the young kids that embrace technology.

It even tracks your practice hours, key presses and how hard the keys are pressed.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (09/23/18 08:09 AM)

#458531 - 09/23/18 08:39 AM Re: Which 88 key keyboard? [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Thanks to everyone for the input. Keep in mind this is for a 9 year old who might or might not even like the experience once started and no one else in the family plays therefore resale value is important too. I don't want a piece of junk but also do not want to spend a fortune on the keyboard and do not need a "furniture" piece.

One of the problems with young children is finding a knowledgeable teacher who know how to keep them interested and not try to turn them into a concert pianist while at the same time teaching them the basic fundamentals. They want to learn how to play songs and have fun learning.

Deane

#458545 - 09/23/18 12:36 PM Re: Which 88 key keyboard? [Re: hammer]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I said in another thread the Roland Piano Partner App sold a few FP30s in my local music store. Great learning tool especially for kids. I use the Rhythm Section with my FP90 and it does a good job.

Edited by Bill Lewis (09/23/18 12:37 PM)

#458548 - 09/23/18 02:30 PM Re: Which 88 key keyboard? [Re: hammer]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By hammer
Thanks to everyone for the input. Keep in mind this is for a 9 year old who might or might not even like the experience once started and no one else in the family plays therefore resale value is important too. I don't want a piece of junk but also do not want to spend a fortune on the keyboard and do not need a "furniture" piece.

One of the problems with young children is finding a knowledgeable teacher who know how to keep them interested and not try to turn them into a concert pianist while at the same time teaching them the basic fundamentals. They want to learn how to play songs and have fun learning.

Deane
Kraft Music always has bundles for the same price of a digital piano whether it's a Yamaha, Casio, and etc. https://www.kraftmusic.com/digital-pianos-and-keyboards/sale#/sort:final_price:asc

For home, I'd look into the Casio PX160 with a wood finish stand. The PX160 features 128 polypony, more powerful speakers than the Yamaha P45. I am classically trained on the piano, and I like the Casio PX series keyboard action.
Digital Pianos At Kraft Music from the Lowest Price
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online