SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#458477 - 09/22/18 05:31 AM Re: What is BORING You about your Arranger Keyboard?? [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
Once in a while, I play my DGX650. The piano action like feel seems to give me more control over expression.

Thats what the heavier keys do...
Having th same dynamic controll over synth keys takes more skill
Thats probably why i prefer the weighted 88 key hammer action..

Playing fast and furious organ and synth parts however works better on a synth/organ keybed
Espescially organ, where vellocity is set to 127 over all the range, and there is no dynamics.. same goes for many of the older analogue synth sounds... they are from before the velocity sensitive keybeds..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#458487 - 09/22/18 10:01 AM Re: What is BORING You about your Arranger Keyboard?? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
This is where semi-weighted keybeds came in as they offered a compromise between the heavy hammer action keybeds and the extremely light synth action. (If you want to cover all instances (Rather than mastering one) then semi-weighted is the way to go)
NOTE: Not all semi-weighted keybeds are created equal, so make sure you try before you buy, as some manufactures use it just for marketing, and don’t use proper semi-weighted keybeds.

Bill

#458488 - 09/22/18 10:06 AM Re: What is BORING You about your Arranger Keyboard?? [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
This is where semi-weighted keybeds came in as they offered a compromise between the heavy hammer action keybeds and the extremely light synth action. (If you want to cover all instances (Rather than mastering one) then semi-weighted is the way to go)
NOTE: Not all semi-weighted keybeds are created equal, so make sure you try before you buy, as some manufactures use it just for marketing, and don’t use proper semi-weighted keybeds.

Bill

When your gigging day after day 4 hr shows etc,etc,or playing alot at home day after day..weighted keys can take a big toll on your fingers, wrists, hands after time for sure, carpal tunnel, arthritis, etc,...but to each their own.
Personally I like a much lighter keybed for my playing style.

#458496 - 09/22/18 12:16 PM Re: What is BORING You about your Arranger Keyboard?? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By abacus

Bill

When your gigging day after day 4 hr shows etc,etc,or playing alot at home day after day..weighted keys can take a big toll on your fingers, wrists, hands after time for sure, carpal tunnel, arthritis, etc,...but to each their own.
Personally I like a much lighter keybed for my playing style.

All these things you name are either part of us aging, or a wrong position behind the keys.

While heavier keys cause fatigue... they also happen to train your finger musscles more, keeping them in shape..

If anything causes carpal tunnel, the only thing to overcome that is chnage your position..

Artritis is offcourse a disease non related to playing keys, and part of aging.. in which case cutting back on keyweight might be a solution.. i don’t know..maybe a doctor can answer this..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#458503 - 09/22/18 12:54 PM Re: What is BORING You about your Arranger Keyboard?? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

When your gigging day after day 4 hr shows etc,etc,or playing alot at home day after day..weighted keys can take a big toll on your fingers, wrists, hands after time for sure, carpal tunnel, arthritis, etc,..

But Donny, if that were true, wouldn't it affect professional pianists? I don't recall this being a problem with the ones I know (who play frequently and exclusively piano their entire lives). Just sayin'. BTW, if you live long enough, you're going to get arthritis anyway, even if you've never seen a keyboard. Also, I've got arthritis in every joint in my body EXCEPT my fingers; I attribute that to daily exercise my fingers get playing keyboards, including piano.

chas

Edited by cgiles (09/22/18 12:58 PM)

#458504 - 09/22/18 12:55 PM Re: What is BORING You about your Arranger Keyboard?? [Re: Bachus]
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By Bachus

While heavier keys cause fatigue... they also happen to train your finger musscles more, keeping them in shape...

You just pointed out the difference between a pianist and keyboardist. There's absolutely no way that one could develop muscles required for standard piano literature. That's exactly why heavier keys cause fatigue for those who play keyboards. It takes me less than 10 seconds to figure out a non-pianist performance on a standard acoustic piano, even if they're a skilled keyboardist. Uneven touch, and inconsistent dynamics -amongst other things- give it away.

Same thing with a Pianist playing the keyboard. It just looks and sounds odd. Unless one is trained on both, these two terms are not to be confused.

Edited by SAM CA (09/22/18 12:57 PM)

#458505 - 09/22/18 01:16 PM Re: What is BORING You about your Arranger Keyboard?? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

All I know after 50 years on stage is I love a lightweight good action keybed....

#458506 - 09/22/18 01:18 PM Re: What is BORING You about your Arranger Keyboard?? [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I have had my old korg pa1x for 15 years and still have not exhausted its potential. I now have the latest iteration of the korg arranger keyboard. The P a 4X. I don’t think I will have another keyboard of any kind after this and I have no doubt that I will not exhaust its potential either. If I get bored it’s simply because I am bored playing music. Nothing to do with the instrument . If I get bored with the preprogrammed styles , I simply create my own styles or edit the already existing ones to my taste. If I get bored with the styles instead of live playing, I just stay in keyboard mode and play piano electric piano guitar horns strings whatever if you like playing. If I get fed up of playing by myself, I go and play with the band, live drums , live bass player, live singers and just use the keyboard as a keyboard. If I want to be completely created from scratch, I will sequence my own work using the onboard sequencer . In other words I struggle to get bored but I certainly can’t blame the instrument that has provided me with so many creative tools and endless musical strategies .

The question should be why are you so easily bored ?? Most of the time it’s simply a lack of inspiration . The best cure for me is listening to other musicians that I admire . That cures boredom very quickly . The down side is it is then replaced with envy 😭

#458508 - 09/22/18 01:21 PM Re: What is BORING You about your Arranger Keyboard?? [Re: Dnj]
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By Dnj
All I know after 50 years on stage is I love a lightweight good action keybed....

Which is why it's important to choose the right keybed for your playing style.

#458509 - 09/22/18 02:17 PM Re: What is BORING You about your Arranger Keyboard?? [Re: SAM CA]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By SAM CA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Which is why it's important to choose the right keybed for your playing style.

That's the beauty of a controller kb and module..

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online