SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#457939 - 09/11/18 05:12 PM OT: Critters in my yard
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
A few months ago, I decided to install a Ring Floodlight Camera so I could keep track of things at the house while I was away, just to be on the safe side. They advertise these on TV and they work quite well, but not as good as advertised. Your router has to be within 35 feet of the camera and unobstructed in order to get the speed they show on TV. For the most part, though, it does a good job. No bad guys came to the house, just the folks that I know and invited. Well, there were some uninvited guests, but it's open season now and they might not want to show up in my front yard. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#457942 - 09/11/18 08:13 PM Re: OT: Critters in my yard [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Gary:

The evening buffet seems to be the most popular time for the deer. I kept expecting to see an Armadillo or two but I guess you don't have them up there yet! Deer always seem to go for the flowers. A few years ago, we made the mistake of planting those potato vines that make such great ground cover. Thirty plants all told to protect a barren spot that washes out every time our drainage ditch overflows due to heavy rains. Next morning, not a single plant was left. I suppose that is the penalty for invading their habitat. LOL!

Thanks for sharing. I may have to get a couple of those cameras.

----Dave

#457955 - 09/12/18 12:00 AM Re: OT: Critters in my yard [Re: travlin'easy]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Don't you dare shoot them Gary. You have taken over their territory not the other way around. Enjoy your visitors. You should be honored.

#457966 - 09/12/18 06:26 AM Re: OT: Critters in my yard [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Too far north for armadillo here, and they're not real tasty from what I've been told. wink

Nigel, the deer herds here are massive, mainly because they have no natural predators anymore. The big cats were killed off more than 200 years ago in Maryland. Consequently, the deer are so overpopulated that we now have an average herd density of 200 deer per square mile, while the woodlands can only support about 60 deer per square mile. Hunters have only a marginal impact on the herd growth rate, thus the deer face starvation every winter. They have consumed all the understory plants in the forests and have taken to eating things they wouldn't get near in the past.

Some folks enjoy the taste of venison, and if I recall correctly, California was the first state to introduce it to the health food stores, but not it is available nationwide. My family ate venison for about a decade, but we grew tired of it and went back to beef and pork.

All the best,

Gary cool

#457969 - 09/12/18 07:05 AM Re: OT: Critters in my yard [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Fear not, Gary:

Those pesky little "Tanks" will be waddling up your driveway soon. They learned to cross the Rio Grande a couple of decades ago and have been steadily moving northward into Gringo Land. They uproot the entire plant looking for grubs and burrowing insects and are usually nocturnal. You can pretty well track their path by the trail of uprooted plants and dirt mounds left behind.

The deer problem is real and they carry Ticks which can bring us Lyme Disease if they decide to climb aboard humans and have a meal.

#457970 - 09/12/18 07:27 AM Re: OT: Critters in my yard [Re: Riceroni9]
Dnj Offline

and here in NJ don't forget Bear hunting season!!
Be careful watch the kids outside too..... mad

Attachments
a63e847b7b30e5621edad613061cb665.jpg

#457971 - 09/12/18 07:44 AM Re: OT: Critters in my yard [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

We've had some bears in the backyard at times, but they usually don't stay around for long - kinda passing through the neighborhood looking for a date. smile

Gary

#457980 - 09/12/18 01:32 PM Re: OT: Critters in my yard [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
We've had some bears in the backyard at times, but they usually don't stay around for long - kinda passing through the neighborhood looking for a date. smile

Gary

I spotted 2 bears in my backyard yesterday.

Jerryghr

Attachments
th5X6UDB2T.jpg

#457986 - 09/12/18 04:12 PM Re: OT: Critters in my yard [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

smile

#458014 - 09/13/18 09:42 AM Re: OT: Critters in my yard [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hell, Gary, I'D LIKE TO LIVE IN THAT BACKYARD. Is snack delivery an option?

Love the place! Hope I can see it soon.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online