SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#457501 - 09/04/18 10:36 PM Bono losing his voice
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
What do YOU think is the real reason Bono lost his voice in the middle of a performance? Do you believe it was from "smoke in the air?"

#457509 - 09/05/18 05:51 AM Re: Bono losing his voice [Re: Mark79100]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
It was reported that it was caused by the smoke machines used on stage. My singer and I went thru the same thing once. It really messes up your voice.

#457518 - 09/05/18 07:01 AM Re: Bono losing his voice [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Maybe his voice loss was due to the smoke but I can’t help but think singing in a rock band for as long as Bono has must take its toll on the voice. I like his voice but it does sound like he often sings at his absolute highest which can cause one to strain. I’ve heard Elton John has lowered some of the keys of his songs and has backing singers hit some of the high notes for him. No shame it that really, aging has its effects on the voice. Whatever the case be, I wish Bono the best and I’m sure he’ll back on stage soon. Let’s hope he’s talking care of his voice!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#457529 - 09/05/18 08:40 AM Re: Bono losing his voice [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By montunoman
I’ve heard Elton John has lowered some of the keys of his songs and has backing singers hit some of the high notes for him.

I've read about people criticizing Billy Joel for lowering the keys to some of his songs also ... These guys write the music they play, they can do anything they want with it ...

I've often wondered if Elvis hit those strong, high notes in some of the songs he sang, or if it was one of his back-up singers ... especially in the later years ... but whatever, he always put on a great show ...

#457564 - 09/05/18 09:06 PM Re: Bono losing his voice [Re: montunoman]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By montunoman
Maybe his voice loss was due to the smoke but I can’t help but think singing in a rock band for as long as Bono has must take its toll on the voice. I like his voice but it does sound like he often sings at his absolute highest which can cause one to strain.

Bingo! That's also my opinion.

I first became aware of this when I met a man at work who was "vocally challenged" in everyday conversation. This was about 40 years ago but I never forgot it. We became friends because he was a drummer/vocalist in a local band. One day I asked him, why he sounded like that. Reply: he developed polyps on his vocal cords from singing incorrectly for many years.

Then, when I was taking vocal lessons, long after that, one of the first things my teacher made sure he taught me was to sing from the stomach and not the throat. He stated that a trained singer can sing under any circumstances (sore throat, tiredness, etc) because they learn to bypass the throat which most rock musicians don't seem to take the time to learn. But that's how Opera singers can sing three hour operas.

I forget myself sometimes to "bypass" the throat, or keep it lubricated with a lozenge, and by the end of only one hour I'm sometimes hoarse (unless I eat a McDonald's exactly 30 minutes before performance time).

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online