SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#456184 - 08/15/18 12:59 AM Re: OT: Wersi Demos through the Ages [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
1990/1

Here is a curved ball, Wersi released a Piano using the Livestyle sound engine (Not the first piano they ever produced) that replaced all the sounds with just Piano sounds for greater authenticity, (Less voices meant more sample memory available for each, as memory was still expensive in those days) it won many awards and was featured in many bands including the famous James Last Orchestra.

Demo by Cicero https://app.box.com/s/rpws37n385hms0n0p2f7vavkb3cf9jg4 NOTE: all instruments and musicians are real except the Wersi Grand Piano

#456188 - 08/15/18 04:09 AM Re: OT: Wersi Demos through the Ages [Re: abacus]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Loc: New Symrna Beach, Fl.
Bill, I have that CD. Always enjoyed it. Think I'll pull it out and give it a spin today. I mean find the playlist I have it saved in! Thanks for the reminder... smile

Edited by IMMusic_Curt (08/15/18 04:10 AM)

#456191 - 08/15/18 05:16 AM Re: OT: Wersi Demos through the Ages [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Just a question Bill and Curt,...

How much of those lovely old Wersi sounds are in todays OAX models?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#456194 - 08/15/18 06:02 AM Re: OT: Wersi Demos through the Ages [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

do you think if wersi & ketron, etc, were distributed in many more places for more to see play, buy, and compare with other brands they would sell many more units worldwide,.....what is holding these companies back from bigger world wide acceptance and awareness to players.....personally I would love to just walk into a music store and play, buy, or order one of these units eg: wersi Pegasus, Ketron SD90 etc, instead of just watching a youtube videos of them, or taking a chance to buy one and then have to return it if not fitting your needs because you could not audition it..the one time I drove all the way to who the hell knows where Pennsylvania to a wersi store and was totally disappointing when I pulled up and it had closed and turned into a Liquor store WTF?

Edited by Dnj (08/15/18 06:12 AM)

#456195 - 08/15/18 06:07 AM Re: OT: Wersi Demos through the Ages [Re: abacus]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

I don't have an exact count, but there are a fair number of drawbar samples from Helios (under names like KW Drawbar, etc.) for Klaus W. type sounds. There are also samples from the CD (Spectra) series for both drawbars and a few strings if I recall. The attached list is a little dated. With the recent updates to OAX 2.0, they renamed some of the sounds and also replaced some of them with newer samples.

Attachments
OAX_Soundlist_Pre2.0.pdf (229 downloads)

#456238 - 08/16/18 01:36 AM Re: OT: Wersi Demos through the Ages [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

1989 - 1995

CD/Livestyle/Golden Gate Series (Wersi’s 1st genuine sampling series (Performer/Phoenix/Pegasus range)

Although mainly featured in the Performer/Pegasus range the Livestyle system first showcased in the CD line and the Golden Gate update effectively added the Performer/Pegasus to the CD line, the downside was that the factory voices where very Euro sounding so the UK/US players edited a lot of them for their own use. (The Pegasus/Performer line released in 1992 was also the first to have a touch screen)
The Pegasus/Performer line was also the last Wersi series that had a sound engine designed by Wersi itself, all the instrument series that came after used 3rd party suppliers for the sound engines.

Golden Gate Affair https://app.box.com/s/3dro5aaaxvbncxhr0wjeb7415iqb2tiu

#456315 - 08/17/18 12:33 AM Re: OT: Wersi Demos through the Ages [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

1997/8

Another drift here

Blue Chip (A company formed by ex Wersi engineers) bought out a drawbar module called the OX 7 which went down well with musicians (Not a Hammond emulator as such but more of its own dedicated sound) and was also incorporated into the last versions of the CD line as well as being the mainstay in OAS (Just software controlled) and a purely software version being added to OAX, so here is a demo.

Return to Forever by Curt Prina https://app.box.com/s/ash386n2yfq5eqo9zsde9ddpdire4mj6 NOTE: all instruments and musicians are real except the OX 7 Drawbar Module.

#456412 - 08/18/18 01:45 AM Re: OT: Wersi Demos through the Ages [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

2000 - 2016

OAS

OAS started off in its basic form in 2000 and used the Creamware Scope sound engine for its main sounds, a Yamaha XG card for the Drums & accompaniment with a plug in OX 7 hardware board for its drawbars, after a year or so, support for Akai samples was added along with an option to purchase the NI B4 Hammond VST, in addition all versions came with Steinberg Cubasis as standard to allow the use of other VSTs.

Demo (OAS 4) https://app.box.com/s/yb8651a4qk8x74gqvtpx2rgf9nid6n0i

The next big development came with OAS 4.1 which dispensed with the Yamaha XG card and added a 2nd DSP card with a more powerful computer, thus all sounds (Including drums & accompaniment) except OX 7 were produced by the Creamware Scope sound engine.

OAS 5 was another big step as it introduced a brand new OS which could take better advantage of the new hardware; thus more sounds and features became available and this was effectively the coming of age for OAS instruments.

OAS 6 added extra features and sounds but was not exactly a must have.

OAS 7 was another major change that added lots of new sounds and features, but did require a hardware upgrade as well; in addition the previous Creamware Scope sound engine was dispensed with and replaced with a version of the sound engine used in Steinberg’s Hypersonic VST, (For compatibility all the old sounds were converted into the new format so that uses old pre-sets could still be used) it also had a fully integrated VST Host.

Details of the OAS changes up to V7 can be found in this PDF document here https://app.box.com/s/8c6keigylnl8oeqthrll

There were 47 revisions to OAS 7 finishing at OAS 7.1-R47 released in 2014, all of which added new features, sounds, styles and options + bug fixes, (With too many to list here) but a big update came in 2007 when the old OAS arranger system was replaced with the OAA (Open Art Arranger) style system, which also included Chord control and Remote Octave options, (For comparison purposes the programmers guide for the OAS style arranger was around 6 pages, whereas the OAA had its own 58 page manual) it was so different that it required a completely new style format to be created. (Naturally they included the ability to play old format styles so that uses could still use their existing styles)
One of the big plays was the ability to play and edit Tyros 2 styles natively, (The OAA had more features available than the Tyros 2 at the time) but unlike other manufactures that substituted sounds when they converted a T2 style, Wersi created their own voices to mimic the T2 style voices (Including Mega voices) so that when the style was played, it sounded like the style was made for the OAS instrument rather than sounding like a converted style, or that someone had just stuck a T2 on top of the instrument, which as it has a completely different sound engine meant its sound characteristics were quite different and it was difficult for a lot of users to merge the 2 sound systems so that they sounded as one. (Some went for both anyway, having both a T2 (And later models) on top of the instrument as well as using the T2 styles on-board)
The OAA like OAS got continual updates over time adding new features.

Demo of the 2007 models: Music for Everyone by Mark Whale https://app.box.com/s/ljupx7jrabpmu2rw1oos

The big downside of the OAA was that apart from half a dozen or so new styles, all the old factory styles were left in place requiring the user to edit them or create new ones with the new features themselves, (Not the easiest of tasks) however in 2011 Music Store that now owned Wersi since 2010, introduced Styles 2011 (Which used the new features and replaced the old factory styles) as one of the new options for existing users to purchase.

OAS Instruments were finally retired in 2016 after 16 years of production and development and were replaced by the OAX range which launched in 2014.

#456413 - 08/18/18 02:46 AM Re: OT: Wersi Demos through the Ages [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Can’t wait to see the OAX demo’s..

OAX is a huge leep forward..
Still the Wersi own style is not on arranger level, but imported yamaha stles make up for that..

My bugest problem is with the way Wersi treats VST’s...
Accessible VST’s are loaded at systemstart...
To make them readilly available..
But this makes importing each single VST sound a hard days work..
Also VST effects are still not supported..

They should have made it work like on any DAW.. sure loading takes a few secconds..
But who cares, the Organ is for home use mostly...

Don’t feel offended by the critisme Bill, wersi has it way better then the competition from Bohm
And is atleast on par with all TOTL arrangers..
If they ever make one, i will be taunted to buy the oax Piano..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#456454 - 08/18/18 11:19 AM Re: OT: Wersi Demos through the Ages [Re: abacus]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Bill, Some excellent content here - You OK if I copy over to WersiClubUSA site? I think folks might enjoy it and some may never find this site.

Let me know either way.

Thanks,

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online