SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#456003 - 08/11/18 11:17 AM how many of you are retired? (question revised)
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
So I ask this question after my conversation with my friend in the music store. We talked not just about different model keyboards but about the music business and life in general as a musician thinketh.

I said to him "I'm in this Internet music group and I feel like an absolute dummy." I know nothing about all these keyboards you guys seem to know like the back of your hand. I also know next to nothing about EQ-ing my equipment, effects, sequencers, harmonizers, etc. I used to know when the music world was more controllable and structured. Now I can't keep up with it all.

I'm sitting here reading the Synthzone posts "how to buy an acoustic piano" (my own post), the Casio Ct X5000 wars, the Dexibel sound module (something else to consider now), the Kawai ES-110 (came out of left field...didn't even know Kawai made one), the BK-5, and you can see where I'm going with this.

Now so far this Saturday morning, I had to talk to my health insurance provider and learn all the ins and outs of health insurance so I can change my plan, go over all the details of the Triple Package deals the companies are offering in my state for Internet/television/telephone service (it's like reading an encyclopedia), learn minor auto mechanics to figure out what additional parts I'm going to need to give my mechanic when he goes in there to change my water pump, read the Internet medical sites about a certain minor malady I've managed to pick up that has to be dealt with, etc

How do you find the time to be a musician nowadays? I might as well face facts. It's not like olden times in the Camelot days before technology made a clean sweep of everything and life started all over again under new terms!

My music store friend said "You're forgetting something! You're NOT retired and many of those in the group with all this knowledge probably ARE and have more time to read and navigate the music equipment universe."

So I ask.......how many of you are retired and, if not, how do you find the time to do everything? Prioritizing is not an option....it seems EVERYTHING has to be done or you get swallowed up into a "black hole" never to be seen again!

I've been trying to practice since 10 am this morning. I'm still only halfway through the paperwork on my desk!

Looking forward to your comments.......

Mark

#456005 - 08/11/18 11:37 AM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, I'm tired. Oh, wait you said RE-tired.
Not really, but semi, usually two nights a week these days.
I don't practice, so that saves a lot of time. Occasionally I will "learn" a new song, but only listen to it a few times, write down lyrics and chords and play it/sing it. My practice is on the job, and consists of playing songs I don't really know on nights when most of the people have left, the rest are drunk or courting and not really listening. I record them, go home and eventually listen when I get a chance, and either keep it in the lineup or forget about it.

#456007 - 08/11/18 12:52 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark

IMHO I think your getting too wrapped up in details. Get a mechanid you trust and let him fix the car, talk to friends and see who they like for Internet/TV. Your doctor practioner may be of help with your medical plan. Don't take it all on yourself.

I'm retired from my day job but still try to keep up muisically. Practice enough to keep the chops up but lately its been a burden to decide what to practice. My Standards/Jazz tunes on piano for that restaurant gig? My Arranger songs which require much time and editing, ? and also my DJ lists for certain types of parties.?
Last night we went to see the hottest act going arojund the area. Dueling Pianos. A freiend of mine who has a nice duo with his wife got his brother to move here from Vegas. He's a solo pop pianist singer. He did some gigs around with his brothers help and then put together this "show" with a girl. Two dummy piano shells and a good PA. One of them would play and sing and the other would play the tambourine, do drums on the keyboard or just singalong. Not the thing I expected but they're selling out all their shows. $20 pp which gets returned to you for your food and drink tab.
Purpose of this story. Simplicity Look around a see what people want.
All the time I spent working on the Arranger and no real gigs for that type of thing. So like you I'm going simple concentrating on piano and DJ for the parties.
Good Luck

#456009 - 08/11/18 01:10 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm fully retired, now, after more than 30 years of being a full-time entertainer. I didn't want to retire, but severe health issues forced me to take time to smell the roses before someone was placing them on my casket. That said, if I were in better health, not perfect health, mind you, but better health, I would go back to work tomorrow afternoon.

I retired nearly two years ago, and since then, I have spent way too much time on the internet, even joined Facebook, which I rarely look at, spent lots of time working on my boat and sailing. I still spend a few hours a week working in my gardens, but now the hot, humid weather precludes that activity. Sometimes I just sit on my deck and watch the world go by as the birds swarm the feeder. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#456011 - 08/11/18 02:22 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
What is retired?

I think for me it is changing what we use to do,, smile

Maybe our new choices may cause us to eat less or don't buy as many goodies...

My example I always did what I wanted to do (always my own boss).. and folks have labeled me retired .. I still do what I want grin

Physical changes are usually a factor for retirement.. I was active in sports into my 60's and yes I played against players half my age.. than I noticed I started to get injuries that I never got before, and took longer to get healthy again. Sign that age was catching up to me. smile

Retire is a frame of mind.. In fact as I am typing this , I am saying I am no longer retired .. even if it means I have to get in the tax program again.. Now what do I want to do smirk

#456012 - 08/11/18 02:36 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Fran, do what YOU want to do - that's what retirement is all about.

Gary cool

#456013 - 08/11/18 02:47 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Bill.......that was a really good post you did. I have to sit later and reflect on everything you said.

You wrote also....."lately its been a burden to decide what to practice."

I can't believe you wrote that....that's exactly what I go through every day. Music goes in so many directions now you just don't know what to practice anymore. Not only the music, but things like which of your keyboards to use, do you just "read" theory and harmony books and no playing for the day, do you just play certain things to exercise your fingers, (in my case) do I study my jokes and patter material and no playing today, etc? Do I study my Classical numbers or the pop stuff? What about my "walking bass?" Don't forget to get that in after your Jerry Lee Lewis R&R runs.

And you know what.......I'm no better today than I was a month ago, or to say it another way, 60 hours ago of practicing. And, like you said, there's no extra income to show for it. It does make you wonder is it time to address the question "does the end product you're receiving match or exceed the effort you're putting into it?"

#456014 - 08/11/18 02:53 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

I think I said that wrong. I meant...

How is it you all know so much about different keyboards, and harmonizers, and stands, and "how-to-do it" situations and whatever else. Is it that you're now retired and have more time to explore? I know a lot about a lot of things, but nothing like how you guys know your keyboards inside and out!

#456015 - 08/11/18 03:31 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark
To summarize practice what you will be using in whatever type of jobs your after . Learnig jazz theory is not needed for most pop gigs which is why I told the story of,last night. Simple songs with simple chords and good vocals and a smile and rhey're knockin the ball otta the park. Two two hour shows a night. Same for the NH gigs. Your story telling is as valuable as your playing for entertaining.

#456016 - 08/11/18 03:46 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By Mark79100
I think I said that wrong. I meant...

How is it you all know so much about different keyboards, and harmonizers, and stands, and "how-to-do it" situations and whatever else. Is it that you're now retired and have more time to explore? I know a lot about a lot of things, but nothing like how you guys know your keyboards inside and out!

I grew up with all these things as they involved. I learned about each new technology as it was introduced, including keyboards. Still do and it's a lot easier when you are familiar with all the operating systems, have owned all the different brands of keyboards, etc.
If you stay on top of things, there is no catching up to do; just learn new things as they evolve.

#456017 - 08/11/18 03:51 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Fran, do what YOU want to do - that's what retirement is all about.

Gary cool

Gary, then I have been retired for more than 50 years.. grin

#456024 - 08/11/18 08:17 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Wow! That makes two of us, Fran.

Gary cool

#456093 - 08/12/18 01:43 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Johnny Carson had a golf pro on his show one night (forget the name), and he said "now thgat you're getting older, isn't it time to think about retirement?"
The pro replied: "I play golf every day. What would I retire TO?"
I tell people that I'm a retired high school music teacher, but that's just a fancy way of saying that I don't teach school anymore. I have made music my business for my entire working life, and there have been "chapters" that have had variations. Teaching was a 10 year variation on that theme, and I have no regrets.
That's the way I see my music career. I will sing until I can no longer do so.

#456096 - 08/12/18 02:12 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Sometime ago I realized that I have had a 'paying' job of one sort or another every day of my life since I was 15 years old, whether it was part-time, full-time, working for Uncle Sam in the US Army, whatever ...
I retired from the 9-5 (which never really was) 11 years ago and became an 'independent
contractor' working as a musician ...

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave

I will sing until I can no longer do so.

ME TOO !!!

PS: forgot to mention that a nice pension and soc sec helps a LOT !!!1 grin

Edited by tony mads usa (08/12/18 03:03 PM)

#456097 - 08/12/18 02:13 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Live large.
smile

#456099 - 08/12/18 02:49 PM Re: how many of you are retired? (question revised) [Re: Mark79100]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Yse, I'm retired and I still don't have time to do everything I want to do.

#456102 - 08/12/18 04:54 PM Re: how many of you are retired? (question revised) [Re: Mark79100]
124 Offline

Better to be retired than expired. smile

#456103 - 08/12/18 05:14 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Here are two things I beleive.

1-In my frustration I asked a friend how do you handle all your stuf?
His answer: John do you see that little bridge -- the cars go over it one at a time. If they all try to go over it at the same time the bridge will fall into the water.

2-Keep the maan thng the main thing.
Things do not have the power to confuse us. They get confused because of us.

John C.

Edited by bruno123 (08/12/18 05:17 PM)

#456104 - 08/12/18 05:28 PM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: bruno123]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
If being retired means not having to make money to pay bills, I retired last week – The type of work I do allowed me to work when I wished.

I like “RETIRED TO WHAT” It would be interesting to hear answers to that question.

John C

#456110 - 08/13/18 12:02 AM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

I am a little bit retarded, does that count to?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#456119 - 08/13/18 08:33 AM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: DonM]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Originally Posted By DonM
Yes, I'm tired. Oh, wait you said RE-tired.

I’m with Don. I’ve got the tired part down...it’s the RE part I’m still working on.

Moved from Corrections to Major Crimes, Sex Offender-Predator Unit. Responsible for fingerprinting and registering all sex offenders and predators. Almost 900 county wide. There are nights I come home exhausted. Got to keep the health insurance and pension money comin’ In for a few more years.

At least I have my studio set up with 970 and guitar. I do find time to play a little. Helps to de-stress.

jingleman

Edited by jingleman (08/13/18 08:33 AM)

#456121 - 08/13/18 09:15 AM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: jingleman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Wow! Dealing with the worst of the worst !!! No wonder you need to de-stress ...

#456124 - 08/13/18 10:13 AM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: tony mads usa]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Right on Tony. If you can't compartmentalize...this gig will eat you up.

#456125 - 08/13/18 10:14 AM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I've talked before about a major worry I have, which is related to the early part of this thread.

I use graphics software and equipment (Mac based) Research and word processing software (PC based, and, believe me, they don't talk very well to each other, yet), Camera, video editing, audio recording interfaces, arrangers and lots of other software and computers. If I personally learned how to do everything I need to do on every piece of equipment, I'd never get any work done.

I just extended my agreement with an Italian staircase manufacturer to introduce custom staircases and design a builder/remodeler program for the United States. This will take about 5 years, so I'll be pushing 80 when it's all over.

My son is my IT guy, recording engineer, video editor, research analysis, roadie and bass player for my trio.

I'd be up a creek without him.

Russ

#456196 - 08/15/18 06:09 AM Re: how many of you are retired? [Re: Mark79100]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Forced out of work due to my health, ten years ago, really upset me at the time; as I was an IT Network Engineer. But I learn to do other things in different areas in part time rolls that kept me busy.

So now I do leather work from garage at home making wallets back packs etc. Sometime you just have to be adaptable and go with the flow. Playing music I think never ends till you say so and that started when I was 10 years old and now I am 61.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online