SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#45567 - 01/26/06 02:10 AM Making a midi file??
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have been creating songs with easy record and extended tracks on my Technics keyboards for years. I have not created a midi file similar to the ones available for download. I know that I can create a Technics file and then convert it to a midi file -- with a great deal of work --

My question: Does everything have to be put manually if I do not use the conversion method?

I know this is a dumb question but for the last 15 years I never gave this a thought and I find my mind is blank, no refference.

The Yamaha keyboards record songs and styles in midi format. That has advantages and disadvantages.

Thank you, John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 01-26-2006).]

#45568 - 01/26/06 03:52 AM Re: Making a midi file??
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I guess you're asking 'is there another simpler way to produce a midi file than the previously annotated method on this web site by Alec'...using a Technics keyboard.
Rog

#45569 - 01/26/06 07:00 AM Re: Making a midi file??
Jack Docters Offline

Loc: Eindhoven Netherlands
I wonder to if there is a easier way to make a Techn. song to a midi song.
Several times I try to make a midifile by the extensive method as discribed in this forum earlier.
The results are poor and instruments have been chanched after saving.
Who knows what I doing wrong

Jack

#45570 - 01/26/06 01:34 PM Re: Making a midi file??
bruno123 Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RMepstead:
[B]I guess you're asking 'is there another simpler way to produce a midi file than the previously annotated method on this web site by Alec'...using a Technics keyboard.
Rog

Hi Rog, thanks for the clarification, at times I do stutter. (grin)

John C.

PS, will you be at the Jam Rog?

#45571 - 01/27/06 12:26 AM Re: Making a midi file??
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Sadly no...
Rog

#45572 - 01/28/06 08:38 AM Re: Making a midi file??
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
The easiest way to make a midi file everyone can play is to get yourself a new Tyros 2, or even an older tyros 1 or a PSR9000. I don't know about the other Yam keyboards.
But....
Don't forget this, because there is a downside to everything.
When you send out a midi file made on your keyboard and people play it in their computer or a different keyboard they are not hearing what you heard when you recorded it.
There is no music in a midi file. It is only pointers that point to instruments in the sound card of what ever you are playing the midi file in. so what you hear is the instruments in your computer sound card etc.
that computer sound card only has 128 instruments. My new keyboard has over 1000 instruments in it. So the computer will substitue what it thinks is the best sound for the sound it doesn't have and often times it is a disasater.
there you have it, the downside to Midi files.
Best to all
Bebop

#45573 - 01/28/06 10:13 AM Re: Making a midi file??
Jack Docters Offline

Loc: Eindhoven Netherlands
Thanks Bebob for your skilled answer.
I still have my fantastic KN 7000.
Every downside has his upside.
I still love my KN 7000 with all his up - and ( midi ) downsides.

Take care

Jack

#45574 - 01/28/06 05:57 PM Re: Making a midi file??
bruno123 Offline

Thanks for all the help, and no thanks I do not need a Tyros at this time -- possibly in the future. My question had to do with midi using a Technics keyboard without using the APC to Midi converter on my Kn7000.

Here's my thought:
1-Connect 2 midi wires to and from the Kn7000 and a midi writing program ---in my case Sonar (Cakewalk)

2-Play the song created on the Kn7000 while recording all 16 tracks in Sonar.

3-The Accompaniment section will be recorded all in one track. That can be divided into separate tracks.

Now I need to think about the instruments -- when saving and then reloading I do not want the instruments to change.

Bebop has a good point about creating a midi file on a Yamaha, it is much easier to do, less than a quarter of the work. But I was not happy with Yamaha?s instrument sounds. It was great to easy record a song in a few minutes than put in an e-mail and send it out to whoever. To me, and let say that one more time ?To Me, I felt the big band sounds or the sounds I would use for waltzes and classical music were not acceptable for MY ear. Everyone hears differently, it?s personal.

I hope to finish this midi file subject at a latter time, I have to work it out first.

Life is good and so are all keyboards and churches, Amen!
John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 01-28-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online