SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#455015 - 07/20/18 09:20 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
... Love to have a steady gig and sit in the corner of a nice restaurant and just play piano and sing. Still trying to find one.

Ahh ... The 'dream' gig for many of us ... I'm waiting for a friend of mine to retire from the gig he has had for about 15 years, then maybe I can take it over ... problem is I'm about 15 years older than he is laugh2

#455031 - 07/20/18 01:45 PM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can come and have mine, after I die that is. And that could be any day! smile

#455032 - 07/20/18 01:49 PM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
124 Offline

Not for me. I like to keep moving, I'd go nuts having to go to the same place every day - might as well have a factory or office job. Well, not quite, but you get my drift.

Old road warriors like me (albeit with much reduced distance these days) die hard, I guess. smile

#455042 - 07/20/18 10:11 PM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: jimlaing]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By jimlaing
I notice at one place that they had a thing they called "Enrichment Seminars", which were mostly lecturers coming in. I proposed that I could do an "Enrichment Seminar" for them (they already knew me and my music), on a topic related to music, with music demos throughout. It was a "hit", and I have since developed a series of topics, and do these "enrichment talks/demos" at several places now.

Hi Jim.......could you tell me more about these "Enrichment Seminars?" Maybe an example of one that you do?

Thanks

#455048 - 07/21/18 04:05 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm very blessed to have that dream scenario right now. I have a 4 night job (Thurs-Sun) at a restaurant that features music 7 nights each week. House PA (That I designed, and installed), 1/10th of a mile from my home. Summers, I add Monday & Tuesday at the NJ shore for a six night schedule with only 2 setups. Hasn't been like this since the 80s. Man, was it easy to find work back then. I'm not foolish enough to think this will last forever, but it "just may" last until I slow down a bit. I never plan on retiring ... I'l just work an easier schedule when I get frail, like the rest of you old codgers. smile (no names)
This may sound like bragging to some, but I'm just counting my blessings. 2 years ago, I was working all one nighters, 300 times a year. It's nice to take my foot off the accelerator for a bit.

#455053 - 07/21/18 05:21 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By DonM
You can come and have mine, after I die that is. And that could be any day! smile

Hope you keep on playing for a long long time, Thats why I keep doing it, keeps you active and engaged.

#455054 - 07/21/18 05:29 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Dave
You are blessed and very lucky. Opprotunities like that are rare for guys in our age bracket.
I wouldn’t want to work that much anymore and IMHO doing 6 nights is work. I never was a full time player but one Summer was doing 6 nights with a band . When the owner cut us back to 5 we celebrated in the parking lot.
Keep doing it while you can and still have the enthusiasum to keep it fresh.
Wish we could see you at the Crab Trap again.

#455074 - 07/21/18 10:32 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Yup ... 6 nights is a lot, but the old saying about making hay while the sun shines kinda applies here. It's very much a job, but I don't consider the performances as work. The time I put in at home, in study, and rehearsal is what I call work. I still live for the stage.

#455089 - 07/21/18 02:22 PM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
UD ... Are you able to leave your gear set up in these places, or what do you set up/break down each night?

I don't mind the practice, learning new songs, setting the styles on the kb, etc. ... The 'work' for me is the setting up and breaking down whether it takes 10 minutes or 25 or longer depending on how much gear I have ...

#455128 - 07/22/18 08:45 PM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Tony, I drive to the shore, and set up on Monday afternoon, play that night, and leave it overnight. Play Tuesday, tear down Tuesday night - drive home.
Off Wednesday
Thursday morning, I set up and leave it there for all four nights - tear down Sunday night. Rinse, Repeat.
smile
I'm gonna get spoiled!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online