SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#454981 - 07/19/18 10:05 PM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Bill.......you reminded me why I don't move from this cesspool. Good money and plenty of places to play. If you're good you easily command $175-$200. Donny is right about AD's on budgets and stretching their money out but they also make it a point to set good money aside to engage 1-2 top notch acts during the month to balance out the "deplorables (?)"

Anyhow, I think I said this before. The only real answer to today's messy music scenario is to "go where no man has ever gone before" and have the playing field to yourself. Take your keyboard or a keyboard and go on the lecture scene and talk about arranger and synthesizer music and what these keyboards can do. We all know that the general public is fascinated by this new technology. You can do colleges, high schools, libraries, retirement homes, etc. Alternatively, you can do what Michael Feinstein....studies songs and composers and performers and talks about them and plays the appropriate music.

As I recall, you retired as a schoolteacher. So you're used to talking in front of a group. Just put some material together and go for it.

I'm seriously considering doing that myself. There's plenty of work at the nursing homes here for good bucks but I'm really tired of the struggle....sending material out, Q&A telephone conversations, traffic, moody and inexperienced AD's, amateur musician competitors. Going on the lecture circuit is becoming more and more attractive for me.

I got the idea back around 1980. I went to a music demo in the store. When ARP was around, he was demo-ing the whole line. He did an incredible job of orchestrating his songs on those wonderful ARP keyboards. But when he got to the (ARP) sequencer, he did a sequence right on the spot and then played the keyboards around it, he brought the house down. It sounded like the London Philharmonic with him playing keyboards with both hands on top of it. I always think of that as an alternative. You're a good pianist....it's something you might want to consider.

Anyhow, if you're getting frustrated down there going up against the wolf pack consider some other kind of "alternative thinking" that sets you apart.

P.S. I don't think your wife is far off the mark...."why bother anymore, its not worth the stress." Go fishing instead with Don.

#454985 - 07/19/18 10:44 PM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Or.....maybe the other end of the spectrum is the way to go? This is one of the (upper class) retirement communities (Brandywine) in my area for the elite. The place is bigger than DisneyWorld. Which means "big budgets."

#454995 - 07/20/18 06:16 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi . . I also do something like what some are mentioning here ... I have played at private events as well as "retirement communities" and such for years ... I notice at one place that they had a thing they called "Enrichment Seminars", which were mostly lecturers coming in. I proposed that I could do an "Enrichment Seminar" for them (they already knew me and my music), on a topic related to music, with music demos throughout. It was a "hit", and I have since developed a series of topics, and do these "enrichment talks/demos" at several places now. It's a nice change from the more standard "mini-concert-style", or dances, that I had usually done.

Jim

#454997 - 07/20/18 06:27 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Mark79100]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My story:
1-I am 42 years old and I just sold my Music store/School.
2-I have a wife and four children
3-I want to continue playing with my band.
4-The percentage of musicians who made enough money to support a family in a decent manner was few.
5-I became a guitar teacher who gave lessons in the student’s homes. And played weekends with my band.
6-Some latter I became a Piano Tuner; my Dad’s trade. And played weekends in with my band.
7-I made excellent a good deal of money with my band – enough to stop tuning pianos; I continued to tune pianos.

My Wisdom: (My opinion)
1-Always have another source of making money other than music; this gives freedom to select when and what you will do with your music.
2-Your love for music should not be tainted with making dollars. If it is, you will find your love for music is being challenge.
3-Those who successfully planned for their latter years are free from the mixing of dollars with love of music.
4-If dollars are needed you will have to deal with what is being posted here. The old saying. “It is what it is” --- please don’t allow dollars to take away your love music; try not to mix talent and love for music with dollars.

Playing free music:
I did not charge the N.H. for the first few jobs. After that we talked about money. Now that I am in my eighties I will play, if I am still able, without being paid. I have been going to the gym for he last six months trying to get my body strong enough to move my equipment. I am taking some medications to prevent my voice from getting foggy. I am trying hard – and it has nothing to do with dollars. It is because I love playing for people.

Thanks for reading my post – I needed to write it, John C,

#454998 - 07/20/18 06:44 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By jimlaing
Hi . . I also do something like what some are mentioning here ... I have played at private events as well as "retirement communities" and such for years ... I notice at one place that they had a thing they called "Enrichment Seminars", which were mostly lecturers coming in. I proposed that I could do an "Enrichment Seminar" for them (they already knew me and my music), on a topic related to music, with music demos throughout. It was a "hit", and I have since developed a series of topics, and do these "enrichment talks/demos" at several places now. It's a nice change from the more standard "mini-concert-style", or dances, that I had usually done.

Jim

Jim great idea.....I have also done many Music Enchantment type shows at public libraries music appreciation heritage seminars years ago which focused on different parts of performance which goes over very well and breaks up the normal entertainment style gig & everyone learns something about music. There are many ways if your talented enough to share the magic for sure.

#455000 - 07/20/18 07:02 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary
Excellent and informative info from a business prespective. I played a ton of those dances for other people at halls they had rented. I thought about doing it here but a simple problem. There are no halls to rent reasonably. There are no VFW's or Elks, or Moose Lodges here. All the suitable rooms are in the private communities or resort hotels and they want a lot of money to rent.
I'm also not thrilled about doing th eNH circut but may try a few more of the assisted living type places.
I'm just getting tired of the chase the next gig syndrome. Love to have a steady gig and sit in the corner of a nice restaurant and just play piano and sing. Still trying to find one.

#455003 - 07/20/18 07:09 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: bruno123]
Bill Lewis Offline

John C
I know the feeling of having to write something which is the reason for my original post. I was just ready to scream with frustration.
I too was doing the band thing years ago and making decent money but decided I didn't want to depend on that type of lifestyle for my living. For me it was one of the wise choices I made and now have a decent retirement with no headaches. Teaching wasn't easy but the kids made up for the admin. BS. Besides who wold I rather deal with , a micro manageing Principal ( just my last one which helped me decide to retire early ) or an ego driven unreliable singer , loud guitarist, or drunk drummer. LOL !
However after all these years in the busines I feel I deserve to be paid for my music work. I still do freebies for certain Charity events. To me its a matter of respect.

#455004 - 07/20/18 07:12 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If you want to play for free, go to Veteran's homes, hospitals, fundraisers. Nursing homes for the most part are owned by multi-million dollar corporations and actually have good budgets but as long as they can get people to play for free, they will.
By playing for free, you take an opportunity for someone like Gary or others to earn their livings.
There are lots of really good musicians playing for free around here. One NH called me last year and offered me $30. to come play. They said that was more than they usually paid. I respectfully declined.

#455005 - 07/20/18 07:17 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

[quote=Mark79100]Hi Bill.......you reminded me why I don't move from this cesspool. Good money and plenty of places to play. If you're good you easily command $175-$200. Donny is right about AD's on budgets and stretching their money out but they also make it a point to set good money aside to engage 1-2 top notch acts during the month to balance out the "deplorables (?)"

Anyhow, I think I said this before. The only real answer to today's messy music scenario is to "go where no man has ever gone before" and have the playing field to yourself. Take your keyboard or a keyboard and go on the lecture scene and talk about arranger and synthesizer music and what these keyboards can do. We all know that the general public is fascinated by this new technology. You can do colleges, high schools, libraries, retirement homes, etc. Alternatively, you can do what Michael Feinstein....studies songs and composers and performers and talks about them and plays the appropriate music.

As I recall, you retired as a schoolteacher. So you're used to talking in front of a group. Just put some material together and go for it.

I'm seriously considering doing that myself. There's plenty of work at the nursing homes here for good bucks but I'm really tired of the struggle....sending material out, Q&A telephone conversations, traffic, moody and inexperienced AD's, amateur musician competitors. Going on the lecture circuit is becoming more and more attractive for me.

I got the idea back around 1980. I went to a music demo in the store. When ARP was around, he was demo-ing the whole line. He did an incredible job of orchestrating his songs on those wonderful ARP keyboards. But when he got to the (ARP) sequencer, he did a sequence right on the spot and then played the keyboards around it, he brought the house down. It sounded like the London Philharmonic with him playing keyboards with both hands on top of it. I always think of that as an alternative. You're a good pianist....it's something you might want to consider.

Anyhow, if you're getting frustrated down there going up against the wolf pack consider some other kind of "alternative thinking" that sets you apart.

P.S. I don't think your wife is far off the mark...."why bother anymore, its not worth the stress." Go fishing instead with Don.

Mark

Thanks for the insightful and thoughtful ideas. I may consider doing something like Seminars.
There is big money here in many places not just NY and NJ. I've touched on a few but its hard to break into the circle. Just did the 4th for a good payday, have played for the Rotary for a fair amount, and have a big Charity banquet coming up for another good payday. ITs my fault for overestimating what these private party peole want to pay. I though I was being very fair but maybe not fair enough in their eyes.
One young jazz pianist who moved here from NY is well known and does many big money events. Has a regular Jazz thru History gig at the only jazz club here. Also plays with the top band here and another Reggae Beach band. Very hard to bump him aside. AND he doesn't sing, go figure.

#455006 - 07/20/18 07:21 AM Re: How low will you go ? [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Don
Good post I agree 100%
Thanks

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online