SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#454908 - 07/18/18 10:28 AM Why do you play....?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Seems like this has all been covered before, but I don't think so.

In my case, everything I do is enhanced by music. My video productions are centered around an original score. My product is better because of the attention to the score. In my mind, the audio element is 50% of the work. It "pops" and we can end up with a product that cuts thru the clutter.

There is an audio element to almost everything I do. Think radio, TV, electronic publications...the list is long and varied.

While I love playing (a great way to get drunk and laid in my youth), and music is something you can improve on for a lifetime, it is the advantage music creation and inclusion gives me over my competitors that I really appreciate. Doing scores presents the opportunity to use a wide variety of instruments and styles...many more than if you were on a stool at a local bar (done a lot of that, too, believe me).

Another thing music does is give me access to the larger clients. I get State government work and on-going work from 5 Fortune 500 organizations and access to all sorts of other opportunities because of connections made while playing at venues frequented by decision makers for large organizations requiring the film, print, research, packaging
or strategic planning I teach and specialize in.

As you'd probably guess, most of these clients require music as part of the services I supply.

The improvements in the cost, timing and effectiveness of broadcast quality YouTube projects means that, today, for the musician who reads, plays lots of styles and can stay up for days at a time, the opportunities are fantastic. Think rates in excess of $200.00 per hour when you get established with the better production companies.

What about you?

Russ

#454914 - 07/18/18 05:19 PM Re: Why do you play....? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Music has been a big part of my life since age 5, when I discovered that I could plink out any song I heard on the radio. (We didn't have a TV until 1947.)

While I made a good living from my musical endeavors, the primary reason I played was because it allowed me to use my creativity. This is still the case today, even though I retired a couple years ago. I still sit down at the keyboard at least 3 nights each week and just play. And, I still, at age 77, still try to learn new songs, then put my own spin on them.

Good subject, Russ,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#454916 - 07/18/18 05:56 PM Re: Why do you play....? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I play because I was given a gift that is not given to everyone ... A gift is only useful if it used ... The gift of music is something that is to be shared with others, so that is what I do ...
Music has been in my home since I was born, and will be even after I am gone ...

#454917 - 07/18/18 07:19 PM Re: Why do you play....? [Re: captain Russ]
zuki Offline

Because the inner 'draw' one has for something. In business for 30 years (Chemical sales) I just could not pull myself away from hanging in music stores, playing part time and buying/selling instruments over the years.

Fast forward to retirement and a whole new universe opens. Donny introduced me to the Senior market (almost 10 years ago) and now having the time of my life.

It's that real love that stuck around and never went away smile

Edited by zuki (07/18/18 07:19 PM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#454919 - 07/18/18 08:47 PM Re: Why do you play....? [Re: tony mads usa]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
I play because I was given a gift that is not given to everyone ... A gift is only useful if it used ... The gift of music is something that is to be shared with others, so that is what I do ...
Music has been in my home since I was born, and will be even after I am gone ...

That pretty well sums it up for me, too. smile

#454920 - 07/18/18 09:50 PM Re: Why do you play....? [Re: captain Russ]
Bachus Offline

After a stressful day at work, making music allows me to relax.
Its mostly a stress relieve vessel.

Strange thing, the moment i have to play for others, it stresses me.

Thats why i will allways only play with headsets on.
In a world of professional musicians that may sound strange, i know..

But to me being able to relax is very important..
It not only makes me perform better at work..
But it also makes me a much better more enjoyable person..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#454924 - 07/19/18 04:16 AM Re: Why do you play....? [Re: captain Russ]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
The world goes away and it makes me feel great. It's even a better feeling when I can share with those who do not play an instrument.........to paraphrase what an old army airborne ranger friend of mine used to say "jumping out of an airplane is the greatest feeling with your pants on." That's it for music too grin

Edited by Stephenm52 (07/19/18 04:19 AM)

#454925 - 07/19/18 04:24 AM Re: Why do you play....? [Re: captain Russ]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
STEPHENM
As we get older, It's also the best feeling with our pants off.
MEL

#454926 - 07/19/18 05:18 AM Re: Why do you play....? [Re: organgrinder]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By organgrinder
STEPHENM
As we get older, It's also the best feeling with our pants off.
MEL

grin grin

#454928 - 07/19/18 07:46 AM Re: Why do you play....? [Re: Stephenm52]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Music opens the door to another world where only I exist. Music is a place where I can get lost. When I put water on the stove to boil and run to play my keyboard; the next thing I know is that is no more water.

Music has carried me through my worst and helped me enjoy my best time. A life without music is not much of a life.

John C.
PS, your most precious movie without music would not be your most precious movie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online