SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#454265 - 07/02/18 06:43 PM What style for the occasion?
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
To my learned friends,
I am providing music for "Christmas in July" for approx 90 -100 soon, and seek advice as to what to play where.
At entry...light,slow rhythm,ballads,bright ???.
mid dinner and onwards.... background,dinner type ???
Post dinner not a problem as I will gradually lead up to dance styles.
Experience tells me not to jump around styles.
What would you suggest?
Apart from this, I have so many numbers in all genre to pick from, making a final selection is always a dilemma.

Ray dance

#454267 - 07/02/18 07:22 PM Re: What style for the occasion? [Re: The Saint]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ray, they hired you for a reason - past performances. Thrown in a few upbeat Christmas songs, then do your regular skit and you'll wow them. It's that easy.

Almost forgot: You can find some really wild Christmas styles in my Gig Disks on the PSR Tutorial forum if you are playing a Yamaha keyboard. Download Gig Disk #7 from https://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/gigDisks/GD_gary.html

Good luck,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (07/02/18 07:25 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#454271 - 07/02/18 10:45 PM Re: What style for the occasion? [Re: The Saint]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Thanks Gary, you are always there to help.
I play KN7000, and have resisted the temptation to upgrade.
The short years left ??? sway me from learning another OS, and I have hundreds of tunes with complete registrations composed and saved,which has taken years to do and I could not do that again.
Another turn-off is the lack of internal speakers in a lot of what I would like to have.
Mostly play at home, or for friends, occasionally play out and internals are all I need.

Ray dance

#454278 - 07/03/18 05:14 AM Re: What style for the occasion? [Re: The Saint]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
It was 90 degrees in Buffalo on Sunday. At our weekly restaurant gig people were complaining about the heat outside. (We waited all winter for this). We started our set with "Let it Snow". The crowd loved it and thought it was pretty funny. Luckily the restaurant had AC.

Regards,

Jerryghr

#454299 - 07/03/18 12:25 PM Re: What style for the occasion? [Re: The Saint]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am doing my 10th Christmas in July on the 14th and 15th. It is held in our Cultural Center in which hundreds of people attend. It is a very large facility with vendors of all kinds. My situation is a little different in that some people sit at tables around me for a while, and then resume shopping. I limit strictly Christmas tunes to 1 in 3, with the other two mixed up in many genre's and tempo's. I try to keep everything somewhat upbeat, however, with an eye on the age group.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online