SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#454083 - 06/28/18 03:27 PM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I agree, Chas.

Please let me know how you guys are doing.

R.

#454084 - 06/28/18 05:09 PM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Will do. I'll email you.

chas

#454110 - 06/29/18 06:36 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: Alex K]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Alex K
Russ, as I said above, we all have a right to live by our convictions - thank G-d (and the recent decision of the Supreme Court) for that. I can see myself declining a gig, too, if it was going so strongly against my grain that I wouldn't be able to put forth the effort and the artistry (such as it is) that the audience deserves. However, I would see it as my personal shortcoming as a performer, and not something I'd boast about (not saying that anyone here is).

Now, people that know me (and are generally my target customers), know my strong political and religious views. If they choose to offer me a job, I generally see it as a sign of respect for my musical/performing skills, because when it comes to politics, the only person I agree with 100% is myself. However, unlike many of the folks who have contributed in this thread, I've really lived through the redistribution of wealth, shaming of the successful, single-payer medicine, "free" government-paid education. It was a sad and scary time when the media would only publish the news they deemed fit to print, creating a giant "echo-chamber" in collusion with the government, and you had to conform and be politically correct, or be shunned or persecuted, and when the "enlightened elites" would hijack the language to call those who disagree with them "haters", supporters of individual freedom freedom "fascists", and terrorists "freedom fighters", and who would pay the mobs to turn out on the streets to justify the absurd. It pains me greatly to see that at this day in our own country a major political party is adopting these same policies as part of their party platform, and the street-mob tactics as their modus operandi. It is concerning that nearly half of the people in the US are forgetting that they/we can do that only because of the US Constitution and the system of laws that guarantee this ability to them, and so they cheer to "fundamentally transform America". When you have a good thing (and we still do - I speak from experience) you don't try to fundamentally transform it.

But, as I said, mine is one voice, and I save it for the ballot box, or for civilized discussions like this one. When I am with a microphone on stage, I know it's so that people can hear my music.

Very well said!

#454115 - 06/29/18 08:24 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
In nearly every society there is a majority whose rights and privileges greatly outweigh those of the minority population. So it was in ancient Rome, so it is in modern-day America. Those, through accident of birth, who enjoy this privileged status, are loathe to surrender it and can become bitter, resentful, and angry when they see any signs of erosion of that status. Politicians play on these fears to 'divide and conquer'. The underlying motive is almost always wealth and power. It is truly amazing that THREE (3) PEOPLE own as much wealth as the bottom 50% of the entire country. And yet there are many in that 'bottom 50%' that have been brainwashed, manipulated, conditioned, to believe that redistribution of wealth is a bad thing when actually a more equitable distribution is necessary for a healthy economy.

One thing I DO agree with though is that the primary way to effect change is through the ballot box. Those who long for the 'good ol' days' have either forgotten or chosen to 'tune out' those parts of our nation's history that include slavery; lynchings; segregation; inequities in education, employment opportunities, and housing; a criminal justice system that protects certain classes while punishing others; backroom abortions; and the general suppression of civil rights for all but the 'privileged class'.

As long as our 'leaders' can use social issues to appeal to the worst of human nature, even to the point of voting against our own best economic interest, we will continue to regress as a society and probably end up suffering the same fate as ancient Rome. Of course, this is just my point of view, to which I'm sure no one will say "Very well said". BUT...is does illustrate why politics (and religion) shouldn't mix with music (which transcends all and is only judged by it's quality...most of the time smile ).

chas

#454116 - 06/29/18 08:44 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Some fundamental differences, for sure, but I really appreciate a dialogue done with respect for the right to a different opinion.

Especially today, I appreciate the civility.

Entertainers have used their notoriety to back politicians and causes for centuries. Think Springsteen and Bono, for starters.

The reason I don't play nursing homes is my strong affiliation with a group that lobbies and otherwise advocates for Nursing Home Reform.

I believe those who justify their involvement as bringing pleasure to the residents...they probably do. But I believe most of the "for profit" homes are hell holes. National ratings support this...check it out.

For me to play one of these places would be selling out...BIG TIME.

The take-a-way here is live your beliefs.

Be well, all.

Russ

#454121 - 06/29/18 09:32 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By captain Russ

I believe those who justify their involvement as bringing pleasure to the residents...they probably do.
Russ

I would say they DEFINITELY do ... The smiles on the faces of the audience, and their interaction during the performance, tells me they are truly enjoying themselves ... they may not remember it for one minute after the performance ends, but "in the moment" they are having a wonderful time ...

Originally Posted By captain Russ

But I believe most of the "for profit" homes are hell holes. National ratings support this...check it out.
Be well, all.
Russ

Russ, I truly admire your humanitarian efforts in this, and other, causes. But I also have to say that in my years of performing in NH/AL residences, fortunately, I have only been witness to one "hell hole", and it was one that I was taking rehab in ... I was scheduled to be there for 5 days, but on the second night I told my wife "I am getting out of here tomorrow" ...
I can only speak from my experience, but the places I have worked in have been clean, the staffs have been very attentive, and the residents really seem happy. As I walk to the area I am playing in I often pass the residences rooms and they are neat, the beds are made, and they look clean.
Granted, I am not there 24/7, but I think that cleanliness of the space, and friendliness of the staff is not something that can be turned on and off with the flick of a switch.
So perhaps the efforts of your Nursing Home Reform group are bearing fruit, and maybe it is starting in RI.

#454123 - 06/29/18 09:47 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Tony, there is a national Government regulatory posting of nursing home conditions. It's done quarterly and is shocking. Our group focuses on Kentucky and lobbies for elimination of compulsoryarbitration, background checks, staffing requirements, training, etc.

Looking at the facts about the entire industry, I'll have to leave the music thing to others and concentrate my funds and time on efforts to fix a very bad situation.

Glad the places you play have good people in them. The problem is with the "for Profit" management/ownership. Many; in fact, most workers are caring individuals who do a superior job for little pay. It only takes one bad person to create a very dangerous living environment.

Be well.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (06/29/18 09:49 AM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online