SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#453794 - 06/22/18 07:11 AM Do playing and politics mix?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Just turned down a lucrative job (several, actually) for a national political party and a very prominent Kentucky politician. I did it because I don't like what's going on with the party or the individual.

Is that the right way to handle things? Should a player pick and choose gigs on a whim?

R.

#453795 - 06/22/18 07:20 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sure, if you can afford it. Lots of players can't afford to pass up a lucrative job though.
I no longer play anywhere there is smoking, anywhere I feel I won't "fit", for whatever reason, and no one-time jobs for less than $500.

#453796 - 06/22/18 07:28 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Yes, exactly what Don said.
But think if the staff at these events. How many servers, bartenders, etc, could afford to or keep their jobs on this basis.
Your lucky you can be true to yourself.

#453804 - 06/22/18 09:17 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
In MOST cases I don't see why I should not take the gig ... I would not be supporting or promoting their ideology ... I'm just letting them pay my bills ...

#453805 - 06/22/18 09:19 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
The degree of personal integrity you wish to maintain is something each player has to decide for themselves. No matter how lucrative the gig, if the event promotes a political or ideological position that I find untenable, then it's a no-brainer for me. As far as not being able to "afford to pass up a lucrative job", short of my kids being one meal away from starvation, I'm not willing to sacrifice my integrity just to upgrade from a Tyros5 to a Genos. But that's just me (and I'm no goody two-shoes, just think that some things are more important than money). JMO.

chas

#453813 - 06/22/18 10:18 AM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
124 Offline

That's pretty much my take, Chas. If I'm not comfortable with a situation, I'm not comfortable playing, and that means I'm not giving it my best effort - which is something I'm never comfortable with.

#453818 - 06/22/18 01:48 PM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
+ 1

#453824 - 06/22/18 07:19 PM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
C'mon guys - they're just jobs, and damned good paying jobs at that. On an election year, I would do up to 40 or more and they all paid me $500 for just two hours work. That translated to $20,000 in additional income for the year. It has absolutely nothing to do with your political views - this is a business and should be treated as such. Your political ideology has absolutely nothing to do with it. Well, maybe for some individuals, but not for the vast majority of the performers I've run into in the past 50 years.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#453826 - 06/22/18 07:59 PM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Like I said, money doesn't trump integrity for some people. The best example of this is the musicians and entertainers who accepted/declined the gig at the last presidential inauguration ball. Sorry Gary, some things rise above the level of 'oh, it's just a job'. I applaud Russ for putting his convictions above making a quick buck. I wish more people (and corporations) would do the same. I think it's hard to make a moral argument against it. But again, it's a personal decision. It's up to each individual to decide what is REALLY important in their lives and set their priorities accordingly.

chas

#453827 - 06/22/18 10:50 PM Re: Do playing and politics mix? [Re: captain Russ]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Nope. Nothing mix with politics. wink

But good question though, similar to a point to what a friend of mine videographer told me. He's been asked to film a gay wedding. Should he do it? He does not believe in same-sex marriages, so would this be "just a job" for him? He does not want to associate image, but the pay is good...

I did say was similar only to a point. These dilemas probably need to find the middle ground between the very personal "I would not do such a thing" and the very professional "yes, because I am payed for a job". But don't want to take this thread elsewhere.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online