SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#453492 - 06/14/18 07:41 AM Need a Budget PA system...?
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (06/14/18 07:45 AM)

#453493 - 06/14/18 08:27 AM Re: Need a Budget PA system...? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'd be very careful ... garbage in - garbage out

#453497 - 06/14/18 08:53 AM Re: Need a Budget PA system...? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
I'd be very careful ... garbage in - garbage out

Not For me but just for those SDOTD fans, or Podium, Denon comes to mind, etc,.. wink or someone on a budget could use it, can't get hurt at that price....I find Monoprice items that I have mostly cables were always good quality.

Edited by Dnj (06/14/18 08:58 AM)

#453502 - 06/14/18 09:41 AM Re: Need a Budget PA system...? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Not For me but just for those SDOTD fans, or Podium, Denon comes to mind, etc,.. wink

Donny, I have a pair of Podium 8"s in my studio (another 'Fran' recommendation smile ) and just for the hell of it, I hooked up the SEVEN to them (directly) and they/it sounded surprisingly good. I think the range of the SEVEN (Rhodes-type range) is probably within the freq range of an 8" speaker. NOTE: it (the SEVEN) also sounds good through my studio monitors, my Traynor K4, and my EV SXA250's. I think that's because the basic sound is good. MORAL: Don't be too quick to knock the Podiums smile.

chas

#453504 - 06/14/18 10:05 AM Re: Need a Budget PA system...? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj

Not For me but just for those SDOTD fans, or Podium, Denon comes to mind, etc,.. wink

Donny, I have a pair of Podium 8"s in my studio (another 'Fran' recommendation smile ) and just for the hell of it, I hooked up the SEVEN to them (directly) and they/it sounded surprisingly good. I think the range of the SEVEN (Rhodes-type range) is probably within the freq range of an 8" speaker. NOTE: it (the SEVEN) also sounds good through my studio monitors, my Traynor K4, and my EV SXA250's. I think that's because the basic sound is good. MORAL: Don't be too quick to knock the Podiums smile.

chas

Chas how soon we forget I also had a set of Podiums too..but they didn't meet MY quality standards for a PA wink that said ....the OP was just passing along choices for a budget buyer nothing more take what you want from it...thank you.

#453508 - 06/14/18 10:42 AM Re: Need a Budget PA system...? [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
I think the range of the SEVEN (Rhodes-type range) is probably within the freq range of an 8" speaker.

Chas, the best sound I ever had for my Rhodes (back in the day) was a pair of Leslie 60 piano speakers. I added piezo tweeters to each cabinet, and it was the sweetest sound ever. It had a 10" speaker in each enclosure, and a variable true stereo tremolo. I get close to that sound today with my Korg SV-1 through a Strymon Ola dBucket chorus into my QSC 8s. Pretty damn close ... if not even better.
Are you getting used to the action on the "Sev" yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZiCdYoEwY&t=424s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PQ5RPxCCOo

#453518 - 06/14/18 12:28 PM Re: Need a Budget PA system...? [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
I get close to that sound today with my Korg SV-1 through a Strymon Ola dBucket chorus into my QSC 8s. Pretty damn close ... if not even better.
Are you getting used to the action on the "Sev" yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZiCdYoEwY&t=424s

That is indeed a fabulous sound. I probably would have gotten a SV-1 if it had been packaged like the SEVEN - it would be difficult to say which one sounds best. As to the keyboard action, yes, I AM getting VERY used to it. I think playing it for at least two hours a day has helped both my finger strength AND the ('breaking in' of the) keybed. No regrets and no thoughts of returning it. I'd love to get a couple of old 'Rhode' dogs (just made that up smile ) like you and/or Russ to drop in and give it a whirl. I think you'd like it. Only 'old souls' that love that Rhrodes sound need apply smile. For the record, I think the AP on the SV-1 might be a bit better than on the SEVEN.

chas

Edited by cgiles (06/14/18 12:35 PM)

#453519 - 06/14/18 01:21 PM Re: Need a Budget PA system...? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I still recommend the Podium 802's... A lot of performance for $100.

They can be harsh at high volumes... just as the K8's do grin

Also most previous owners never knew how to set them up and use them with a mixer. That is why they sold them within a week smile

My old band still uses a pair for small jobs like the Crab Trap.. nd they use the 1204's for large jobs..

I still keep an 802 for a monitor and reinforcement to my new Marantz speaker..

Chas I am not surprised that the 802's sound good with the seven...they have the lows covered better than the big boys (OSC). wink

#453535 - 06/14/18 04:20 PM Re: Need a Budget PA system...? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
[quote=Dnj]https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6...ign=2018_criteo

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=604450

Good deal but I wouldn't take it out of the house. Studio only. For someone who wants a home system to avoid packing up for gigs definatly go for it. I have a similiar Carvin system which I did once take to a gig and it preformed great. Stays in the studio now.

#453541 - 06/14/18 09:33 PM Re: Need a Budget PA system...? [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango

They can be harsh at high volumes... just as the K8's do grin

Sorry - must disagree. The horn angle on the K8s is much wider, and produces a softer high end. Best I've heard.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online