SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#453465 - 06/13/18 07:49 AM ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement?
Dnj Offline

Has anyone had Partial (inner) / Full KNEE replacement?
If so can you elaborate on the experience & rehabilitation afterwards?..

thanx

Edited by Dnj (06/13/18 07:50 AM)

#453467 - 06/13/18 09:21 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Donny ... I've had both knees fully replaced - first one 14 years ago, second one 12 years ago - ...
Don't know exactly what they are doing now, but back then I woke up in the recovery area with my leg strapped in a machine that was slowly and gently bending and extending my leg ... After 3 days in the hospital where I had PT three times a day, I opted to go into a rehab center to continue that regimen ... Five days later I was back home and then it was outpatient PT - going to the surgeon's PT facility three days per week and doing PT at home three times a day ... It is ALL about the post operative PT if you want to regain full use and strength of the knee and leg ... basically, the PT becomes a full time job ...
When I was in the PT facility, I could tell the patients who were diligent with the PT at home, and those who were not ...
The PT road may not be easy, but, like playing music, you will get out of it only what you put into it ...
If you are located anywhere near this facility - or one of their other locations - I strongly recommend you try to get them to see you ...
http://www.orthoinstitute.com/doctors/orthopaedic-surgeon-petrosini/
We have known Dr. Petrosini (Anthony to us) since he was in grade school with our son ... Along with being an excellent surgeon, he is also a really great guy ...
After med school, he received a fellowship to the Harvard University/ Massachusetts General Hospital Fellowship Program. He worked with the ortho team as assistant team physician for the New England Patriots (when Bill Parcells was coach and they went to the SB with Drew Bledsoe), Boston Bruins and New England Revolution soccer team.
If you do contact them, make sure to tell them you were recommended by Tony Madalone ...

Best of luck with whatever you do ...

PS I did not have mine done by Dr. Petrosini because I was already living in RI, and a 4 - 5 hour drive to a doctor's office wasn't practical ...

Edited by tony mads usa (06/13/18 09:23 AM)

#453469 - 06/13/18 09:37 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Donny, Had meniscus repair last Halloween. Still not back to 100%. During PT, the therapist stated that for people considering knee replacement, do a full instead of partial. The re-hab is the same, and you won't have to re-do the other side down the road.

jingleman

#453471 - 06/13/18 11:05 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Thanx for the replies...its in early stages now only had X-rays so far,
....doctors are sending me to PT for evaluation a few times first & MRI to see exactly what's going on.
step by step (no pun intended)...

#453480 - 06/13/18 03:41 PM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Thanks for the information in this thread. I most likely need a replacement but still putting it off. Had surgery 40 years ago and it is bone on bone.

#453494 - 06/14/18 08:41 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: jingleman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By jingleman
Donny, Had meniscus repair last Halloween. Still not back to 100%.

I had the same 3 years ago. I'm sure it was due to my weight. These original knees were never meant to carry 2 1/2 men. (well, maybe 1 1/2)
Easy rehab - never took the pain meds (hate that dopey feeling) I used a circular cooler ice machine that was very helpful for about 3 days, then nothing.

#453496 - 06/14/18 08:51 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By jingleman
Donny, Had meniscus repair last Halloween. Still not back to 100%.

I had the same 3 years ago. I'm sure it was due to my weight. These original knees were never meant to carry 2 1/2 men. (well, maybe 1 1/2)
Easy rehab - never took the pain meds (hate that dopey feeling) I used a circular cooler ice machine that was very helpful for about 3 days, then nothing.

Dave how have you been since then....knee wise..?
I'll know more after Physical therapy....hopefully no surgery needed..

#453499 - 06/14/18 08:56 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

No issues from the surgery

#453500 - 06/14/18 08:59 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
No issues from the surgery

dave so you had a full knee replacement?..

#453511 - 06/14/18 10:45 AM Re: ot/Has anyone had Partial / Full KNEE replacement? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Nope - just trimmed the meniscus. 2 teeny holes that looked like a snake bite.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online