SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#450841 - 04/22/18 08:50 AM Re: This was MY First Arranger KB [Re: Dnj]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
A little off-topic, but Sparky: did you find it easier to play the KX10 because you could glance down at the chord buttons? Or were you already accustomed to playing by feel?

I know that on some accordions, a few of the buttons have a little "dimple." But I always wondered why accordion players didn't modify the buttons more, to make it easier to find their way around back there!

#450850 - 04/22/18 10:39 AM Re: This was MY First Arranger KB [Re: TedS]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Actually I was accustomed to playing left hand buttons by feel. In fact it was quite an adjustment playing at that angle. I wanted to mix more music that , while it could be done on midi accordion, wasn't associated with accordion playing. Sounds were a little weak but that confuguration allowed me to grow into the next step . And not looking buttons, or keys, is what everybody is supposed to do but I still do..

#450859 - 04/22/18 12:30 PM Re: This was MY First Arranger KB [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My first arranger keyboard was the same brand as my microwave oven, It had a dozen styles, 10 voices, and only the piano and vibes sounded anything like real instruments. I paid about $135 for it in 1982 and sold it a few months later for $100 to a young girl who wanted it for learning music in high school. I went back to entertaining with a guitar and it wasn't much later when I purchased my PSR500 and the rest is history.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#450869 - 04/22/18 03:26 PM Re: This was MY First Arranger KB [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My first arranger was Yamaha PS30. It was the first Yamaha arranger with full sized keys.
Pretty soon got a PS 6100. Then 6300, PSR 500, 510, 620, 740, 8000, 9000, Tyros, 2000, 2100, S900, 910, 950, 970.
Also along the way Technics 800, 1000, 3000, 5000?. Roland G800, G70, E50, E800, EA7.
Korg PA80, PA800, PA3x, PA900, PA4X.
Also Ketron X1, SD1, SD5, Midjay, Audya, SD7.
Also a Peavey made by General Music for them.
I'm certain I'm missing some.
That's 37 so far, if you don't count owning a couple of the more than once.
The early ones, I midied to an external drum machine and used synths and/or modules for lead sounds. The first one I could use the drums on was Technics 1000, but still used a drum machine with it when needed.
The PSR8000 was way ahead of its time. It was first to have a usable vocal and harmonizer.
Later model Technics had as good or better drums than some current Yamahas, but not nearly as varied. Technics had many features that the others didn't have for several years. Registrations, midi to style conversion, great style creator, Multipads, usable guitars, pianos, organs...all very good for the time.
The best I've had, as far as sound and features, would have to be PA4X, Audya, G70...not in any particular order. When I first heard the X1, it totally blew me away. Sounded like a live drummer and the vocal sounds were great. It had the variation and fill buttons on the wrong side of the keyboard though! Ketron operating systems were archaic until the last few years. Pretty good now.
The ones I kept the longest were PSR 8000 and 2000/2100. Also used Roland E50 for a couple of years, which as you can seen is rare for me.
I just counted 37 arrangers and I'm certain I've missed a couple.
Won't be many more that's for sure. I can see one more totl model if I live long enough.
If not Genos, then PA5X, if that's what they call it.
But who knows, right? smile

#450875 - 04/22/18 07:25 PM Re: This was MY First Arranger KB [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

How do I follow that smile

First arranger was Hammond C3 and Hammond Auto-Vari box (does this count)?

Live boards: PSR3000 / Korg PA800, 3X, 4X

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#450876 - 04/22/18 07:35 PM Re: This was MY First Arranger KB [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
How little things have changed--just the names and numbers of the keyboards.
Here's a post I made on this forum in '99 I think:
"I haven't put my two cents worth in for awhile, mainly because I'm still trying to figure out all the intricacies of the X1 after four months. Yes it sounds great, but you can say what you want, it is a BBBIIIGGG learning process trying to figure out how to make it do what most of the other keyboards do automatically. Yes, it will do most anything, but you have to figure it out yourself, or try to get somebody to help you with it, because Solton is no help. They can't even come up with a readable owner's manual. And if you have a problem, be ready to try and solve it over the internet or telephone, unless you're lucky enough to live close to George Kaye's store.
Before the X1, I had a PSR8000. It wasn't perfect, but it sounded good, was easy to play in live performance and it was easy to operate. Nobody has DSP's like Yamaha. I miss it.
Before that I had a Technics KN5000. It wasn't perfect, but it was extremely easy to program and play live. It sounded good but not as good (to me) as the 8000 or the X1, or even the KN2000. Before that I had a Roland G800. It sounded good, had some really neat features, but had a lot of drawbacks, including spending most of the time under repair. Lately, I have been playing the PSR740 about once a week. It sounds good, is easy to use, is light weight, inexpensive and loaded with features.
Bottom line: my audience can't even tell when I change keyboards, except if it takes me longer to set up between songs. They want a beat they can dance to and songs they can recognize and that they know the words to. It doesn't have to sound "exactly like the record". In fact, when the name brand artists perform their songs live, they usually don't do them "like the record". I will let the karaoke guys and DJ's sound like the record. I want a keyboard that is easy to learn and use, has drums that sound like drums and sounds that sound like the instruments from which they were sampled. It must have styles or patterns that fit all the various types of music that I play. They don't have to be exact-- fact, I don't want them to be. I want to sound like a small combo playing the song--not like a dj spinning a disc. I don't care what sound bank it uses for midi playback because I don't use them enough for it to matter. If a 16 or 32-track sequencer and a sampler built in your keyboard is important to you, be sure you get a chance to work with it BEFORE you buy it. I don't know if my sequencer works or not, and don't really care. Just because a feature is there, doesn't mean it is easy or practical to use.
I want to be able to hit the fill buttons with my left hand. If this isn't important to you, don't worry about it. I want to have Manual Sequence Pads, so I can make drums sounds or applause sounds with my fingers. If you don't need this, don't include it in your "must have" list.
The X1 may be absolutely perfect for one person. The PSR740 may be the ultimate fit for somebody else. I'm sure Korgs and Gems and Rolands all have owners who wouldn't trade them for anything. I have a friend who wouldn't trade his KN2000 for a new car (would you Jerry?). The only way to find YOUR keyboard is to spend a lot of time with it. Find a dealer who can demonstrate it, and then let you try it at home. Or buy it from a dealer who'll let you return it or exchange it within 30 days if you're not happy. Buy it with a credit card. If it's full of "bugs", take it back and don't pay for it until it's right.
Don't let me or Dave or anybody else tell you what's best for you. You decide. Figure out your budget, make a list of features you want, then try every keyboard in that range and decide what's best. Find a way to try them out. Pay the extra hundred dollars or so to buy it from a dealer who'll work with you.
If a keyboard is impossible to find close to you, think long and hard about buying it, because you will be just as isolated after the purchase.
I could make a list that would fill this page ten times over with great features the X1 has. There are a couple of little things that would probably be insignificant to most people that make it hard for me to use. I'll probably sell it within the month. It has been a great learning experience and it has been tax-deducted already. Don't know what I'll get yet, but, just like romance, the thrill is in the chase anyway.
Thanks for letting me sound off. My wife thinks I'm writing to some woman--don't tell her I'm going to change keyboards again!
Don"

I thought it interesting that most of this still applies today, 18 years later! smile

#450887 - 04/23/18 06:16 AM Re: This was MY First Arranger KB [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Don I remember buying your KN5000 from you many many years ago.....turned out to be a really effective KB for my needs back then, later on sold it to Uncle Dave in a trade for a Ketron X1....
oh the choices we make. cool2

Edited by Dnj (04/23/18 06:54 AM)

#450890 - 04/23/18 06:56 AM Re: This was MY First Arranger KB [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
My first arranger was Yamaha PS30. It was the first Yamaha arranger with full sized keys.
Pretty soon got a PS 6100. Then 6300, PSR 500, 510, 620, 740, 8000, 9000, Tyros, 2000, 2100, S900, 910, 950, 970.
Also along the way Technics 800, 1000, 3000, 5000?. Roland G800, G70, E50, E800, EA7.
Korg PA80, PA800, PA3x, PA900, PA4X.
Also Ketron X1, SD1, SD5, Midjay, Audya, SD7.
Also a Peavey made by General Music for them.
I'm certain I'm missing some.
That's 37 so far, if you don't count owning a couple of the more than once.
The early ones, I midied to an external drum machine and used synths and/or modules for lead sounds. The first one I could use the drums on was Technics 1000, but still used a drum machine with it when needed.
The PSR8000 was way ahead of its time. It was first to have a usable vocal and harmonizer.
Later model Technics had as good or better drums than some current Yamahas, but not nearly as varied. Technics had many features that the others didn't have for several years. Registrations, midi to style conversion, great style creator, Multipads, usable guitars, pianos, organs...all very good for the time.
The best I've had, as far as sound and features, would have to be PA4X, Audya, G70...not in any particular order. When I first heard the X1, it totally blew me away. Sounded like a live drummer and the vocal sounds were great. It had the variation and fill buttons on the wrong side of the keyboard though! Ketron operating systems were archaic until the last few years. Pretty good now.
The ones I kept the longest were PSR 8000 and 2000/2100. Also used Roland E50 for a couple of years, which as you can seen is rare for me.
I just counted 37 arrangers and I'm certain I've missed a couple.
Won't be many more that's for sure. I can see one more totl model if I live long enough.
If not Genos, then PA5X, if that's what they call it.
But who knows, right? smile

My list Don is probably that long or better hahahahaha.......
funny thing I know your not done yet and the list will get much longer for sure..hope I'm right. wink

#450899 - 04/23/18 07:29 AM Re: This was MY First Arranger KB [Re: DonM]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By DonM
My first arranger was Yamaha PS30........

Since you mention PS30.....
There is a PS30 addon pack for Tyros/Genos at Yamaha MusicShop.
I'm thinking about add it just to have some nostalgic fun.
Btw, it is produced / programmed by Phil Leader and his wife.
I guess many of the SZ gang know about Phil and his work from the 'good old' Technics days. smile
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#450974 - 04/23/18 09:11 PM Re: This was MY First Arranger KB [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Bachus Offline

I started on this GEM i beleive..
In the early 90's

Also had a Roland e20... but bought that used..
First step into arranger keyboards comming from home organs
Also briefly played a DX7 and a D50 in that periode

Edited by Bachus (04/23/18 09:13 PM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online