SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#450504 - 04/16/18 06:12 AM Question for Donny
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Donny
I noticed in your signature you are using a TC Helicon Harmony 2. If you wouldn't mind giving us your thoughts on it. How you hook it up and your impression of the quality? Looks like it was designed for singer/ guitarists ( like 90% of everything out there ) so how are you using it with your keyboard setup? The one big thing I noticed about it is it has a mono input and output for the instrument used and I know your a big Stereo fan as I am.

Thanks in advance for any info

#450507 - 04/16/18 06:59 AM Re: Question for Donny [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Hi Bill,....I absolutely love the TC Harmony Singer2 unit....
it really sounds good, vocal tracking is on par with all other TC units for singing. You can use it with any instrument besides guitar, digital piano, organ, etc, So easy to set up and use, excellent reverb and simple harmony selections at the touch of the dial and the Tone feature sets up the perfect EQ for YOUR voice also which you sing. I hook it up right into the EA7 Mic input and use stereo
L/R outs to my Pa system... I would imagine the TC vocal signal gets summed into the keyboard and the overall sound thru the keyboard L/R is stereo out both speakers. I am happy with it. cool2

#450518 - 04/16/18 07:54 AM Re: Question for Donny [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj
I would imagine the TC vocal signal gets summed into the keyboard and the overall sound thru the keyboard L/R is stereo out both speakers.

There is no summing happening, as the mic is mono already. So is your mic input on the EA7. The disadvantage to using this harmonizer in a stereo setup is that your voices are always mono. In my PA900, (and others) the harmony voices can be split left and right. Even though I often use a mono house PA, I monitor in stereo with the on board speakers, and it's a full, rich, vocal spread. You are getting the same signal through both sides of your system ... not a bad thing, but stereo vocals shine even better than stereo EP samples.

#450519 - 04/16/18 07:59 AM Re: Question for Donny [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By Dnj
I would imagine the TC vocal signal gets summed into the keyboard and the overall sound thru the keyboard L/R is stereo out both speakers.

There is no summing happening, as the mic is mono already. So is your mic input on the EA7. The disadvantage to using this harmonizer in a stereo setup is that your voices are always mono. In my PA900, (and others) the harmony voices can be split left and right. Even though I often use a mono house PA, I monitor in stereo with the on board speakers, and it's a full, rich, vocal spread. You are getting the same signal through both sides of your system ... not a bad thing, but stereo vocals shine even better than stereo EP samples.

What ever the final outcome summing or not it sounds really good for now, being the EA7 doesn't have onboard VH it certainly is a great workaround substitute,...I am well aware of the KORG TC onboard harmony units as I have used them for many years in many of my KORG arrangers. Thanx for your input as always.

#450520 - 04/16/18 08:29 AM Re: Question for Donny [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Donny and Dave
Thanks for the input. I posted the question here instead of a PM because I thought others might be interested. Simple unit and not too expensive.
To clarify, your just plugging your mic into the unit and not using the 1/4" instrument in / out ? The unit is devolping the harmonies just from your vocal signal ?
Hope this is the case.
I may have to try one and use the voacl reverb on my BK9 .mic input and that may give the vocals a bit more of a stereo feel.
Thanks again, now I have to go shopping.

Edited by Bill Lewis (04/16/18 08:30 AM)

#450522 - 04/16/18 08:58 AM Re: Question for Donny [Re: Bill Lewis]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Donny: what was the reason for switching from the Perform-VK to the Harmony Singer 2?

jingleman

#450525 - 04/16/18 09:17 AM Re: Question for Donny [Re: jingleman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Donny: what was the reason for switching from the Perform-VK to the Harmony Singer 2?

jingleman

Simple.... Couldn't get it to play nice with the Ea7.... And many features I would never use... Sometimes less is more... Good unit but not for me.. VHS fits my needs for now.

Take care

Edited by Dnj (04/16/18 09:17 AM)

#450528 - 04/16/18 09:44 AM Re: Question for Donny [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Donny, was sound quality about the same?

#450531 - 04/16/18 11:02 AM Re: Question for Donny [Re: jingleman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Donny, was sound quality about the same?

YES TC quality on both units...tracking too.

#450532 - 04/16/18 11:03 AM Re: Question for Donny [Re: Bill Lewis]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Dave,
Does the on board vocalizer on your Korg work independently of the rhythms engaged, as when you're playing guitar, or do the styles have to be playing? I've had to create a dummy registration with volume down work around to do this with the yamaha T2 I have. Effects will work without rhythms but not harmony.

Don/Donny,
Has this changed with newer Yamaha boards like psr970?

I may go back to outboard vh but wanted less wiring.

Edited by sparky589 (04/16/18 11:21 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online