SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#450313 - 04/12/18 08:58 PM Why do I envy you guys?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I said this once before and someone wrote back a good answer.

What I said was...."how on Earth do you all find the time to learn these latest keyboards, learn how to record songs on an outboard recorder (like Don Mason just belts them out), educate yourself on other keyboards that you don't even own, become familiar with computer software, learn Windows 10, get your daily practice in, and still have time to put air pressure in your car tires?

The answer was: We just "skim the surface"....learn what we have to learn.

With that in mind, I can't even find the time to figure out what it is that I "HAVE to learn." I'm not kidding....after awhile everything becomes a blur and you can't distinguish anymore what's important and what's not! Meantime my music is taking a beating. Can't concentrate on what I'm practicing when I finally sit down. In all fairness to myself, I don't live in the quietest of areas. Thinking of moving to the South for the quality of life and the slower pace, but if I do that....bam...no more jobs on every street corner like they have here. What prompted this post was tonight I went to the book store to get a Windows 10 book for Dummies (Dummies series). I almost passed out in the middle of the store when I saw it was 402 pages! Something else now that has to get put on hold.

Anyway, that's why I envy you guys!

#450322 - 04/12/18 11:05 PM Re: Why do I envy you guys? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It's all that practicing again! smile
Seriously, you have to learn how to operate this stuff. When I get something new, or even if I'm thinking about getting something new, I skim through the owner's manual before I turn it on. Then later have it open (PDF) when I go through the new gear. If you have a problem with something, read how to fix it. I've seen people ask questions on forums for which the answer is on, like Page One of the OM.
In my area, music jobs are pretty hard to come by and there is a lot of competition from some seriously good players, mostly guitar players. These are seasoned, top-level pros. They all are either retired or have "day jobs" now and you can hire them for peanuts, and they will come just because they like to play. If jobs are plentiful where you are, you'd better stay there! Get some good headphones to block stuff out when you are practicing. Do headphones work on accordion or do you have to actually start a fire. smile
Somebody stop me, I'm on fire here!
Almost forgot, I think Windows 10 has a lady you can talk to and she'll find answers for you. I try to ignore her, because I don't trust her to have my best interests at heart. smile

#450340 - 04/13/18 05:31 AM Re: Why do I envy you guys? [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Mark, here is the secret to learning a new keyboard. If you have a problem learning a new arranger keyboard, it's because you DIDN'T learn your PREVIOUS one thoroughly. It's all about understanding the CONCEPT behind all the functions (which happens to be essentially the same for all the major arranger keyboards). The guys like Don and Gary and Fran and Bachus, and others who know their instruments well, also knew their PREVIOUS instruments well, and the ones before that. But you have to start somewhere. Take that PA3x and get to know it better than Korg does smile , and I guarantee that learning the next arranger will be a piece of cake.

Full disclosure: I have never PERSONALLY followed this advice smile smile .

chas

#450352 - 04/13/18 08:12 AM Re: Why do I envy you guys? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Do what my wife does. Make a list. Tackle the most important first and move on. Don't try and learn everything at once about a computer, keyboard, whatever. Learn the basics you need now and delve into the rest later.
I'm retired and I seem to get myself in the same situations of not enough time because I have too much time, if that makes any sense. I put things off and then stress.
Still working on being as organized as possible in all things to avoid wasting time on a project.

#450356 - 04/13/18 08:48 AM Re: Why do I envy you guys? [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Mark, I constantly worry that, if learned what I really need to know about the equipment I use to make my living, I wouldn't have any time left to work.

We have multiple PC and Mack systems for data management and graphics, keyboards (of course), cameras, editing suites, recording devices, video equipment and lost more.

I have to be satisfied to learn only what I need to know to get my part of a project and leave the rest to my son or others to really dig in a learn operation.

That makes me feel a little stupid and vulnerable.

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online