SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#449242 - 03/23/18 06:32 AM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Bernie9
I told her about the proper scope of learning it and she wanted to argue about it. She didn't get the keyboard.

Kudos to you, Bernie. Hard as it is not to give in to the grandkids, there are times when you need to 'stand your ground' smile.

chas

#449243 - 03/23/18 06:33 AM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
OT taking the thread in another direction but I wanted to mention I watched a special last night about Marion McPartland, jazz pianist and 30 year host of a jazz piano radio show. Her guest was Dave Brubeck. WOW ! A friend stopped by to wait for his wife who had gone out with mine. He's not a musician but we both sat there for 40 minutes hardly speaking. All I said was I wish had devoted myself to serious jazz piano study instead of pursuing the gigs in rock / pop or my years of Classical training.
There are some fantastic musicians out there but unfortunately they just don't get the exposure the singing stars get.

Edited by Bill Lewis (03/23/18 06:34 AM)

#449249 - 03/23/18 07:44 AM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Good ridence Guitar Center they are really Kmart for music eqpt Poor qlty nobody no anything

ever since Ban Capitol purchased them they have gone down hill

i will not buy anything from them again.

#449265 - 03/23/18 01:25 PM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (03/23/18 01:26 PM)

#449268 - 03/23/18 02:07 PM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mars Music had a huge store here, remained in business for about 3 years, then the building was taken over by EJ Korvette, which went out of business in 1980. I purchased one of my first guitar amps at Mars Music in Parkville, MD and later used it for my first arranger keyboard. Sure was a long time ago. Ironically, I purchased that arranger from Musicland Bel Air, MD in 1978 and it was made by the same folks that made our microwave oven back then - Samsung. I had it for a few years, then upgraded to a PSR-500 and paired it up with a Korg M1. I have never purchased an arranger keyboard from GC.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#449317 - 03/25/18 05:39 AM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
OT taking the thread in another direction but I wanted to mention I watched a special last night about Marion McPartland, jazz pianist and 30 year host of a jazz piano radio show. Her guest was Dave Brubeck. WOW ! A friend stopped by to wait for his wife who had gone out with mine. He's not a musician but we both sat there for 40 minutes hardly speaking. All I said was I wish had devoted myself to serious jazz piano study instead of pursuing the gigs in rock / pop or my years of Classical training.
There are some fantastic musicians out there but unfortunately they just don't get the exposure the singing stars get.

Bill, In 2005 we got to see McPartland and Linda Rondstat at Mechanics hall in Worcester, Pianist Alan Broadbent was also there for the show. The event was the taping of the show piano jazz that was broadcast at a later date.

https://www.npr.org/2013/03/15/174433739/linda-ronstadt-on-piano-jazz

#449322 - 03/25/18 08:02 AM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bernie9]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
It is all about instant gratification. My granddaughter said she wanted a keyboard at about 16 yrs old, and I said I had one I would give her only if she was serious about learning music. She said "Oh no, I have a friend in school that can teach me in a week everything I need to know". I told her about the proper scope of learning it and she wanted to argue about it. She didn't get the keyboard.

Oh, no, Bernie, what a sad report! Honestly, I wonder where this world is headed. Technology could bring on the end. Or, at least, a reset after total collapse!

#449355 - 03/25/18 10:13 PM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I'm keeping my eyes and ears open and saving my pennies for the big liquidation sale. I think the article mentioned 18 months, but sometimes a store goes belly-up overnight. Sam Ash should buy a voodoo doll and put a pic of GC on it and hang it up maybe in the men's room with a sign that requests you stick a pin it every time you flush.

#449356 - 03/25/18 10:17 PM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Guitar Center owns Musicians Friend, so they will probably liquidate through them if the time comes. It has been rumored for years that they are going under.

#449371 - 03/26/18 05:20 AM Re: Guitar Center in trouble [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
It is all about instant gratification. My granddaughter said she wanted a keyboard at about 16 yrs old, and I said I had one I would give her only if she was serious about learning music. She said "Oh no, I have a friend in school that can teach me in a week everything I need to know". I told her about the proper scope of learning it and she wanted to argue about it. She didn't get the keyboard.

Bernie
Should of called her bluff and told her "I'll lend you the keyboard for TWO WEEKS, then come back and show me all you learned from your friend " Great life lesson.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online