SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#448597 - 03/14/18 10:58 AM Re: Another health update: :) [Re: DonM]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Good job Don! Keep up the healing and get those 970 guitars wailin’.

jingleman

#448600 - 03/14/18 11:36 AM Re: Another health update: :) [Re: jingleman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Been in session three days. GREAT NEWS!

R.

#448615 - 03/14/18 01:55 PM Re: Another health update: :) [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don, way back in the early 1970s, I helped set up the cardiac rehab program at the John's Hopkins Hospital and also the Pulmonary Rehab program. Both are pretty much the same, usually 12 to 16 weeks, two to three days a week, depending on your insurance company. Medicare will cover part of it, but not all.

The programs are all pretty similar, treadmill, exercycle, light weight lifting, arm cycling machine, and you will be on a cardiac monitor every minute of the hour you are exercising. Essentially, the program doesn't make your heart any stronger - that's not remotely possible. What it does is make you stronger, gives you more stamina, so when you do have to stress your mind and body, your heart doesn't have to work as hard to compensate for the increased metabolic demand. It is very, very effective for about 75 percent of those that go through the program. The other 25 percent usually go back to lazing around and doing nothing but eating fattening foods and getting no exercise whatsoever.

I have a lot of exercise equipment here at home, but not I'm too busted up to use the treadmill and I'm only good for about 10 minutes on the exercycle stationary bicycle. I still do the light weights, just 5 pounds, though, about 100 curling reps with each arm. My arms look great, but the rest of me looks like $hit! wink Hopefully, when the boat goes back in the water, the constant exercise from sailing will improve some of the other body parts, though some will likely never function like they did in the past.

Good luck, old friend,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#448617 - 03/14/18 02:03 PM Re: Another health update: :) [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
This is my 3rd time through rehab, so I'm familiar with it. I also have exercise gear at home, but haven't been using it. Thanks!

#448621 - 03/14/18 02:42 PM Re: Another health update: :) [Re: DonM]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Don, great to hear you're recovering quick. Praise our Almighty Father!

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#448641 - 03/14/18 04:49 PM Re: Another health update: :) [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By DonM
Wow, thanks everyone! I won't answer individually but please know I'm very grateful for all the nice comments.
My wife doesn't want me to die because I outlived most of my life insurance! It was 30 year term. We don't think about such a scenario when we are very young. There is still enough in place to stick me in the ground somewhere with a little left for a party.
I will start cardiac rehab next week.
I will share one other thing:
When you get a Pacemaker/Defib implant, they give you a unit that sets by your bed and automatically transmits data at 3:00 a.m. every morning via internet. The report is supposed to show if any incidents have occurred, if the unit needed to do anything, etc.
When I went to the doctor yesterday, I asked to see the reports. Guess what, they couldn't find any. They brought in a tech to read the device right then and it was transmitting just fine and everything looked great.
However, today I raised holy hell with the company, the cardiologist and anyone else within earshot. The home unit was not even working. It had been in place for more than two months and nobody noticed! There was supposed to be a USB stick in it to transmit and it wasn't even in there. Trust me, I did get their attention. I told them I could have been dead and they wouldn't have known until I started stinking!
Everybody has called me nearly all the way to Donald Trump today, assuring me that everything is now all right!
Ya gotta watch these doctors once they have collected the insurance money.

Don, without a doubt that is terrible work on the part of the medical staff ... So glad nothing went wrong while that unit wasn't working ...
A friend of mine who got a pacemaker a few months ago had quite the opposite situation ... he was given a monitor that he is supposed to activate on a certain date six months after the procedure and place it near his heart. The device will then send data to his cardiologist for them to review. One day he decided to make sure the unit worked and he turned it on ... in about a minute and a half he got a call from the doctor's office asking what was going on ... he told them he just wanted to test the unit, and they 'politely' asked him to stop messing with it and just follow directions ...

#448645 - 03/14/18 06:19 PM Re: Another health update: :) [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Don you are being challenger big time and you are wining. There are many who do not make it because of medical errors or their poor spirit. I still have no doubt that you will come through all this stuff; there are better days are coming for you my friend.

A thought: We all look at the physical part of suffering and healing; I am going to be very interested knowing what your challenges have taught you – What will Mr. Don’s new outlook on life be. What will you embrace and what will you throw out?

Fantastic health Don, John C.

#448662 - 03/14/18 10:01 PM Re: Another health update: :) [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My thoughts are a bit off kilter when it comes to medicine. I spent 15 years of my younger life working in medicine and I can assure you that 90 percent, if not higher, of the the physicians are inept at best. One of the reasons I am still alive is because of my medical background. I checked myself out of the hospital on three occasions over the past decade, which probably saved my life.

Don, spend more time fishing, playing golf - you will probably live a lot longer. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online