SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#447622 - 02/28/18 10:11 PM What's missing in this video?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I love this video. Mike posted it a few weeks ago.

I like the song itself, the Genos cha-cha style, the sound quality, his "clean" playing, his "rhythmic" playing, his interpretation, etc.

But, there's something obvious that's missing in his performance. Any of you know what it is? HINT: it's OBVIOUS!

BTW...nice tune..... I looked it up (BTW again....he's playing as fast as her version)

same fast, strong cha cha beat

#447624 - 02/28/18 10:20 PM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I give up. It's too late to be having to think. No vocal maybe? It basically sounds like most arrangers to me.

#447629 - 03/01/18 12:58 AM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
He’s not playing it on a Korg PA4x grin

Bill

#447631 - 03/01/18 02:25 AM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Mark79100]
Ingres Offline

Loc: FWI
... le falta ... la salsa latina!

(it lacks ... latin sauce!)

Edited by Ingres (03/01/18 03:15 AM)

#447632 - 03/01/18 03:43 AM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Ingres]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Ingres
... le falta ... la salsa latina!

(it lacks ... latin sauce!)

I think you hit the point, I was thinking the same when listen, it's too 'flat' and I feel that right hand sounds is played "the same way" regardless of what instrument to emulate.
That said, it's only what I hear, I am not the one play any better, not at all. blush
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#447634 - 03/01/18 04:47 AM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Mark79100]
Crossover Offline

In the original, during the verse there is an off-beat piano chord pattern like „1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 AND“ only playing on AND. I don‘t know how to properly say that in English. That pattern is missing.

#447759 - 03/02/18 02:25 PM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Mark79100]
Crossover Offline

Are we getting a solution to the quiz?

#447765 - 03/02/18 02:45 PM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The only thing I saw that was missing was the sheet music - maybe he doesn't need it!

The style he used is the same as the one on my PSR-S950, same intro, etc. He was playing the keyboard in the Full Keyboard mode, which means he can trigger chords using just three fingers anywhere on the entire keyboard. Anything less than three fingers is just played as a note.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#447795 - 03/03/18 05:41 AM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Mark79100]
Crossover Offline

I still think the missing off-beat piano chord pattern (similar to a "Ska" pattern) during the verse is by far the most striking difference. So instead of having a fluctuation between Ska and Salsa, there is a Salsa backing all the time.

#447922 - 03/04/18 10:29 PM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Crossover]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Well, Gunnar Jonny came closest to what I thought was missing.

It's drum breaks and drum fills. That's a terrific cha-cha style but it's TOO dominant....takes over the whole show....it needs to be "worked." I enjoyed the video up to the half way point....then I fell asleep in my mashed potatoes from the boredom of the rhythm. 3:09 minutes of a strong beat like that, without breaking it up violates the Geneva Convention!

Now you can get away with no drum breaks at all on an easy bossa nova, but not a cha-cha with that power that Yamaha put into it. It's a really great style but it can't be left to run by itself.

I posted my Tea for Two a few weeks ago and it's filled with drum fills with me playing around the fills. You can even go 4 bars with no rhythm if you know what you're doing, meaning what you're playing in the 4th bar should lead the listener back to the rhythm section coming in again. Many artists do that, but I don't hear many OMB's do it.

And, yes, I like the way he played that tune, but he is too repetitive!. Gunnar said it nicely....."it's too 'flat' and I feel that right hand sounds is played "the same way" regardless of what instrument to emulate."

Five stars to the Genos if that cha-cha is the tip of the iceberg of what that machine can do!

I'm curious. How many of you feel the same way regards "fills and breaks?" They ARE part of the presentation of a song and they do enhance that presentation when used creatively.

#447930 - 03/05/18 12:35 AM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think I was basically saying that when I said it sounds like a typical arranger, or something to that nature.
If you listen to the Blues song I posted, you will know I use a lot of fills, breaks, variations, etc.

#447932 - 03/05/18 01:48 AM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Mark79100]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
It seems that there're enough "fills" in this video, most of which are triggered by registrations. Sometimes it has a point not to overuse "fills" and "breaks". Also, I'm listening it in the morning when I still thirsty for music and tend to like it more; when night will come my listening will be overfed and I'll be complaining how awful and cheap every instrument sounds! grin

#447935 - 03/05/18 03:06 AM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Mark79100]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Mark79100

Five stars to the Genos if that cha-cha is the tip of the iceberg of what that machine can do!

I'm curious. How many of you feel the same way regards "fills and breaks?" They ARE part of the presentation of a song and they do enhance that presentation when used creatively.

Regarding 'put stars to the Genos'.
I've never been any Yammie fan, and the years with T4 did not change that much.
Was going to add a PA4, but as it may be a new PA?X 'just around the corner', I went for a OK Genos deal.
Don't regret it a single second, this machine is the best Yammie arranger I ever heard or touched.
It's going to stay, no doubt, but I've desided to add a PA4X at the top just for my own pleasure later on. wink

Talking about fills, breaks, bridges etc.
Yes, I'm using those, and it's a natural and important part of many songs / performances to give it more live feeling.
(But, I've also heard it being used way too much, and if so, it does not make things any better at all.)
The Yamaha feature 'press 3 keys' and your drums runs solo, is also a nice feature.
Every time fills etc. is a topic, I think about the lovely 'Dynamic Accomp' by Technics, i.e. at KN3000.
But, now Yamaha have got the Revo drums, that in fact make the styles that use it more live and dynamic in a very smooth way.

I'll rate Genos to the top minus one and a half star.
Half star minus because of the high price level and a bit 'plastic fantastic body' that make it feel a sort of 'cheap',
and minus one star because it should always be a 'upper star' as a next goal to reach.
That make the score to 8,5 out of 10. Not bad, is it? smile cool
keys

"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#447937 - 03/05/18 05:30 AM Re: What's missing in this video? [Re: Mark79100]
Crossover Offline

Still, I think you didn't notice the change of the rhythm between verse and chorus in the original, as I mentioned above (ska versus salsa), IMO the lack of THAT contributes more to the uniform, tedious rhythm...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online