SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#447527 - 02/27/18 11:05 PM Why do YOU play music?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Just "food for thought."

I read both of these statements (by Aristotle Onassis) years ago and I modified it to relate to music.

If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning.

Without the presence of women in the world, there would be no reason for men to exist

......changed by myself to:

If "audiences" didn't exist, all the "music" in the world would have no meaning.

Without the presence of "audiences" in the world, there would be no reason for "musicians" to exist.

I think about these statements when I think about "why do I play music and beat myself over the head making sure I get maximum practice in every day?

Is it for the paycheck? Is it for recognition? Is it to bolster my self-importance? Is it for status or prestige? Is it to impress my peers? Is it for the adulation from others? Is it for my own listening pleasure? Is it an outlet for creative juices? Is it just something to do as a hobby same as someone might crochet or bowl? Is it to distract others and help them get their minds off their problems? Is it to try and make the world a better place through my music? Is it to please (my) God who gave me the music talent and asks that I use the gift as a conduit for Him?

This is "food for thought" for me because......would I myself find enjoyment in playing and would I continue to practice every day if there was no one to hear me play and no "audiences" to play to? I ask myself that question because audiences for live music are starting to dwindle and so if I can pinpoint the actual reason I'm still playing, then I can readjust my practice sessions accordingly! And maybe free up some time to have a beer and a pizza with friends more often.

#447528 - 02/27/18 11:11 PM Re: Do you practice everyday and why? [Re: Mark79100]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Ever since I got my Genos, I’ve put in at least two hours a day on it...just for me.

😊

#447530 - 02/28/18 02:28 AM Re: Why do YOU play music? [Re: Mark79100]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
I have to admit that I'm a much much better listener than player, so I do fit well in the 'audience' category. smile

Why I play?
Simply because I love to play, specially if I feel I manage to make it sound like music. whistle
Also because it make me relax and stress down from everything else around me.

Some years ago, when gig as duo or trio, I also learned that it gave a lot of joy (and some income) to entertain others.
But nowadays, it's mostly for my own pleasure. It's a lovely hobby.
keys
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#447531 - 02/28/18 02:56 AM Re: Why do YOU play music? [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

I play music because i enjoy it..
I even enjoy doing my piano lessons for half an hour a day..
After a long day at work sitting behind my keyboards works like the ultimate stress relieve valve..
It makes me relax, and i feel reborn after one or two hours playing..
No more then 2 hours tough, because after that my back starts to hurt..

I don't like playing for others..
Because i have learned that i get stressed by doing so..
And thats exactly the opposite from what i want to achieve..
So i decided long ago to only play in my home with a headset on..

I think its as many players as many reasons we will find..
And the good thing is, all reasons are okay as long as you like what you are doing.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#447555 - 02/28/18 08:11 AM Re: Why do YOU play music? [Re: Mark79100]
124 Offline

I 'do' because I 'am'. BTW, I'm not a navel-gazer. smile

#447621 - 02/28/18 09:50 PM Re: Why do YOU play music? [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

I've been tossing this around for a while now. Reason being I might have to move out of the big city which means, relatively speaking, no more audiences to play to. My state is becoming more uninhabitable by the day....pure chaos. My friend moved down to Myrtle Beach quite a while ago. Came back up to be near his kids. Lasted a year and he just went back down to buy another house to get away from it all again.

I'm listening to what it's like down there and I could really go for the peace and quiet. But....will I miss playing music "to an audience?" I think I figured it out today. YES......I would. THAT is the reason I play....not for myself. So if I move, I'll have the "peace and quiet," but......I will clearly miss the "entertaining audiences."

I'll sleep on it some more.

#447623 - 02/28/18 10:12 PM Re: Why do YOU play music? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can ALWAYS find an audience for good music, and you definitely make good music.

#447625 - 02/28/18 10:21 PM Re: Why do YOU play music? [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Thanks Don, but, truth be told, I've only ever known "big city life" and the massive amounts of audiences that go with it. My problem (?) is I've never played bars and restaurants. I've been lucky enough to do nothing but parties all my life. Just not sure I'd be any good for anything else.

But, I could go for a job like yours. Maybe I could move to Louisiana and have YOUR job? And pick up some extra money wrestling alligators during the week!

#447626 - 02/28/18 10:31 PM Re: Why do YOU play music? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
C'mon down! Everybody wants my job! smile

#447650 - 03/01/18 07:55 AM Re: Why do YOU play music? [Re: Mark79100]
zuki Offline

Like I say to my crowd: "my wife told me to go out and do something today"

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online