SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#446708 - 02/17/18 05:52 AM Thoughts on vocal processing
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Folks seem to have different impressions/opinions on TC Helicon/VH2 and others. Some will say one is superior to the other etc.

Honestly, I can’t tell huge differences one system over the other and for sure, my audiences of past days, didn’t have an opinion.

Thing is, vocal sound I think is more than just whatever software is built into whatever you use.

To my way of thinking, it’s the whole signal chain that affects vocal sound.

Mic..arranger..processor...mixer...amp etc. And, of course, voice quality. Most of the software/hardware I use now is vastly superior to what I used days gone by. Remember spending time on a mixer to get things to sound just right? 😊

Referencing just arrangers...in my short 6 or 7 years playing these wonderful instruments, I’ve owned 4 or 5 PSR’s, a Tyros, a Genos and a PA4X. The arrangers vocal processor was one of the least concerns I had when purchasing.

😊

#446724 - 02/17/18 08:53 AM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I too have owned many arranger keyboards with onboard vocal processors, and a half dozen stand alone vocal processors. There now seems to be so little difference between the processors that if the singer has a high quality voice, the audience would not be able to tell the difference.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#446726 - 02/17/18 09:08 AM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Gary I don't know what you're listening to but there is a major difference a major difference in quality and tracking that is all I'm going to say....

Edited by Dnj (02/17/18 09:09 AM)

#446729 - 02/17/18 09:33 AM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, when was the last time you sang through a Tyros5, PA4X or Genos. Now, I have now used the Genos, yet, but I will this spring. However, I have used the T5 and PA4X and they sounded and worked as well as any outboard vocal processor I have used. Of course, I don't use midi files, so I cannot attest to that aspect. I can hear quality, and the quality provided by today's arranger keyboard onboard vocal processors is top notch.

Gary cool

#446731 - 02/17/18 09:38 AM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Donny, when was the last time you sang through a Tyros5, PA4X or Genos. Now, I have now used the Genos, yet, but I will this spring. However, I have used the T5 and PA4X and they sounded and worked as well as any outboard vocal processor I have used. Of course, I don't use midi files, so I cannot attest to that aspect. I can hear quality, and the quality provided by today's arranger keyboard onboard vocal processors is top notch.

Gary cool

well lets see I just sold two Pa4x units (Tc helicon) and two S970 (VH2) sang with them all and if you cant hear the difference in the "tracking & quality of teh vocal " I don't know what to say...

have a nice day

#446737 - 02/17/18 09:46 AM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

By tracking, I assume you are talking about midi files. If you are referring to tracking using the harmonizer, well, there was a problem with the earlier PSR models, but not on any tyros since the T4.

As for the vocal quality, there wasn't a hill of beans difference when they were properly tuned, at least that was my experience. I Know you had an S970 and a PA4X, but from what you had posted in the past, I didn't think you ever sang through them and used your outboard vocal processors exclusively.

Gary cool

#446739 - 02/17/18 09:52 AM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

By tracking, I assume you are talking about midi files. If you are referring to tracking using the harmonizer, well, there was a problem with the earlier PSR models, but not on any tyros since the T4.

As for the vocal quality, there wasn't a hill of beans difference when they were properly tuned, at least that was my experience. I Know you had an S970 and a PA4X, but from what you had posted in the past, I didn't think you ever sang through them and used your outboard vocal processors exclusively.

Gary cool

No Gary by tracking I mean when you sing in to the mic at different angles OR DISTANCES TOO, using the so called improved? VH2 there are NO harmony drop offs like the major ones you always hear POWER SINGING with with VH2 in which you have to maintain a straight ON position to try to get a steady VH,....
this doesn't happen with TC helicon units and the quality is amazing..

Edited by Dnj (02/17/18 09:54 AM)

#446743 - 02/17/18 10:54 AM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Something I never experienced, Donny, but then again, I used a headset mic, which would preclude that from happening. Never tried it with the handheld, but I will later today using the S-950 and report back. I just took a morphine tablet for my intense back pain, so singing right now, and hearing properly, are out of the question. Hard to do when you are stoned.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#446746 - 02/17/18 11:03 AM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Something I never experienced, Donny, but then again, I used a headset mic, which would preclude that from happening. Never tried it with the handheld, but I will later today using the S-950 and report back. I just took a morphine tablet for my intense back pain, so singing right now, and hearing properly, are out of the question. Hard to do when you are stoned.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Gary take care of yourself first and foremost...
no need to go crazy testing appreciate it though,.....this is a "POWER SINGER" issue with the VH nothing more,.....at low singing volume it could be tolerated perhaps..like I said previously remember the good times on stage and let playing at home give you joy also. PS if the jam at the Diamond Compound ever materializes again I'll be there for some BBQ, Green Coconut Margaritas, and some great music buddy let's make it happen round up the gang! keys

Edited by Dnj (02/17/18 11:04 AM)

#446749 - 02/17/18 12:24 PM Re: Thoughts on vocal processing [Re: Dnj]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
I am with Donny on this one. Sort of wink
Even though the VH2 in my Genos is great it is not quit in the same league as my VoiceLive3.
Let me explain.
Like Donny I sing a little more with power at times.
Now all VH will distort if you sing with too much power.
However the main thing I noticed when I tried the two unites side by side was another tracking issue with the Genos.
Holding just a chord down and singing through the VH2 without any accompaniment the harmony of the VH2 was a bit all over the place. It did not stay with me. It kind of jumped a bit.
The sound was great. don't get me wrong.
The VoiceLive3 stays with me no matter what I do.
I surely can make the VH2 work and it is very usable, however I would have to adjust my singing a bit.
With the VoiceLive3 no adjustment needed.
Again the issue sounds bigger than it actually is.
I was impressed with the improvement of the Genos, but prefer my VL3.
Hope this clears it up a bit.
Eric

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online