SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#446710 - 02/17/18 06:14 AM Thoughts on Yamaha/Genos/$$$
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Regarding Yamaha products and $$$...Yamaha is pricey....doesn’t seem to matter if it’s an instrument, an outboard engine(I have one..new over $10,000) motorcycle or what have you.

Yamaha seems to get away with charging more than the competition and folks still buy. Looking for a bargain? To my way of thinking, don’t buy Yamaha.

Genos price vs. Korg, Roland, Ketron and others? To my way of thinking Yamaha is by far the priciest for what you get.

So(for what it’s worth) why have I owned 6 or 7 Yamaha arrangers vs. others?

Support, community, quality, sound and availability. There are two music dealers within 50 miles of me that specialize in Yamaha instruments...no Korg or Roland in the area.

One example

Last night, I was arranging the song Jumbalaya on my Genos. I like a Cajun style(good one on 4X) and really couldn’t find a good one on Genos. Thing is, I know that either Yamaha Musicsoft will produce a Cajun style or one will eventually come from somewhere in the Genos community.

😊

By the way, there is great help on this forum, no matter what brand you own.

Edited by guitpic1 (02/17/18 06:17 AM)

#446748 - 02/17/18 11:33 AM Re: Thoughts on Yamaha/Genos/$$$ [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The best style I have for Cajun songs, and I performed a half dozen at most, is a bluegrass style that I modified just for Jambalaya. You can slow it down and use if for a number of other Cajun songs as well. You can use this same style for some Mardis Gras songs as well, which I have done in the past. Keep in mind, though, that Fats Domino wrote many of the more popular Mardis Gras songs, so that fats style works fairly well on those particular songs. I slowed the style down to 88 in order to perform Adilida and used the "D" Variation, while for Jambalaya I I ran the style at 113 BPM, which is much faster than the old Hank Williams rendition, but I was always able to get a bunch of cloggers up on the dance floor at that speed. I used the same settings for Good Hearted Woman. You will find some great OTS settings on the attached style file as well, but you can easily change them to anything you wish.

All the best,

Gary cool

Attachments
Bluegrass2.S728.STY (119 downloads)

Edited by travlin'easy (02/17/18 11:36 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#446761 - 02/17/18 02:24 PM Re: Thoughts on Yamaha/Genos/$$$ [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I HAVE to jump in here. First of all saying a "Cajun" style is like saying a Rock style. There are many different kinds of Cajun songs; Waltzes are very popular, two-steps, marches, swing . . .
What mostly differentiates them is the instrumentation. Generally accordions, fiddles, guitars, steel guitar, in addition to the regular pianos, basses and drums. I've never seen a banjo in a Cajun band.
Jambalaya as done originally is not a Cajun song. It was a country song, and Hank used a lot of wrong words that he mispronounced. There have been some good more modern versions done in a Cajun style though.
Cajun music is more about the feel, the various beats, and the lyrics. Some of them translate well from the French, some don't. Anyway, lesson over. smile
My favorite Cajun songs are Louisiana Man, Diggy Liggy Lo, Jole Blon, Big Mamou, and Bon Ton Roulette. All of them have different beats!

#446763 - 02/17/18 02:34 PM Re: Thoughts on Yamaha/Genos/$$$ [Re: guitpic1]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Found this file in a folder named 'Tyros3 Superstyles'.
I have no idea of where it originally came from, but with a little work it's possible to make sound fairly good at Genos..
It's a 'banjo pickin' & fiddle bluegrass' sort of style. Should probably be more accordeon to make it more 'cajun'?
Adding it here, you'll never know if it's something to work on. confused

F.zip is some cajun named files came up from an old T2 folder when do a quick search.
Put to the bin if not usable for any further rework.

Attachments
JAMBALAYA.S648.prs.zip (26 downloads)
F.zip (26 downloads)

"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#446764 - 02/17/18 03:02 PM Re: Thoughts on Yamaha/Genos/$$$ [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
guitpic1 Offline

Tx all.

First for the styles...we’ll see if we can get them to work on Genos.

Don, understood about the Cajun thing...good point. Around here &olds pay attention to the Scandinavian and German styles.

Tx again

#446786 - 02/17/18 10:08 PM Re: Thoughts on Yamaha/Genos/$$$ [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Don, so guess a bit of a work around might be to change the instrumentation on an existing style, to give it a bit more of the correct sound?

Had to do that for some of the styles for Xmas, add a few tinkly bells , and you have a xmas style.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#446787 - 02/17/18 11:42 PM Re: Thoughts on Yamaha/Genos/$$$ [Re: rikkisbears]
guitpic1 Offline

Don, one other thing re: Cajun music...

Got a friend from New Orleans that came home(several years back)to the north country. He brought along some of his favorite Cajun CD’s. He tried to teach us ‘on the offbeat’ northern folks how to dance Cajun style.

Everybody thought they had two left feet.

😊

Edited by guitpic1 (02/17/18 11:43 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online