Very small showing at NAMM

I was very surprised as well

It a nice unit Genos. It will be a great one when the new update is ready

Soon hopefully

I have reported some issues with it fixes coming soon

#446048 - 02/06/18 09:31 PM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Nigel]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Nigel
I think it is crazy that any brands separate workstations from arrangers. Supporting styles is simply an addition of a little more ROM space. There is no reason Yamaha couldn't introduce a Montage that is also an arranger. Then they could sell it to all markets. The first manufacturer that does that will win for sure.

Yamaha has all the tools to make the perfect instrument.

Yet as long as their are seperate development teams for the seperate instrument types, such will never happen.

From my point of view... the Korg PA4x is allready a powerfull workstation and a top knotch arranger. Much more workstation then the Genos (or the Montage) So if a company will break with this tradition it will be Korg. Altough i wonder if Korg Italy realises this..

from a workstation point of view, i would say that something like the ketron launchpads would be welcomed much much more then the traditional arranger. From an arranger point of view, we are ready to accept all the high end workstation features.

Edited by Bachus (02/06/18 09:45 PM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#446050 - 02/07/18 01:01 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By Bachus
I think it is crazy that any brands separate workstations from arrangers. Supporting styles is simply an addition of a little more ROM space. There is no reason Yamaha couldn't introduce a Montage that is also an arranger. Then they could sell it to all markets. The first manufacturer that does that will win for sure.

Yamaha has all the tools to make the perfect instrument.

Yet as long as their are seperate development teams for the seperate instrument types, such will never happen.

From my point of view... the Korg PA4x is allready a powerfull workstation and a top knotch arranger. Much more workstation then the Genos (or the Montage) So if a company will break with this tradition it will be Korg. Altough i wonder if Korg Italy realises this..

from a workstation point of view, i would say that something like the ketron launchpads would be welcomed much much more then the traditional arranger. From an arranger point of view, we are ready to accept all the high end workstation features.

Most arranger players steer clear of Workstations like the plague, and can’t see the point of them, let alone have the features added to arrangers, (Didn’t you get thrown off the PSR Forum for suggesting this very thing) and it will take a long time to change this. (Yamaha has started with the Genos in a way that most arranger players haven’t noticed, but you’re talking at least 2 generations before they will be able to complete the transition to an all in one)
Bill

#446053 - 02/07/18 02:51 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Nigel]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri

When it comes to truly understanding keyboards I’m a rookie. Can someone give a simple explanation of what is missing on an arranger like the Genos, that keeps it from being a workstation?

Tx

#446063 - 02/07/18 06:02 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Nigel]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
it does not have as deeply detailed sequencer or a fully featured sampler or detailed sound editing features as a true workstation would have .

you would probably need additional hardware such as a computer to create really personalised tracks from scratch on a Geno or typical Yamaha arranger.

that's the main difference where as for example the Korg PA4x has pretty much all those features covered which make it a true arranger /workstation hybrid.

#446066 - 02/07/18 06:18 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Nigel]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Using Korg as an example, here is there TOTL Arranger http://www.korg.com/uk/products/synthesizers/pa4x/ and here is there TOTL Workstation http://www.korg.com/uk/products/synthesizers/kronos2/ if you compare them you will find significant differences.
I hope the above and the post by Spalding helps you to understand the differences better, however feel free to ask any questions if you are still confused about something.
Bill

#446067 - 02/07/18 06:35 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

but how many arranger players need or even ever use "in depth" synth workstation features, editing, etc, etc,..? why pay for all that if your never ever going to use those features or easily do it on your DAW programs?

Edited by Dnj (02/07/18 06:35 AM)

#446072 - 02/07/18 07:47 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
but how many arranger players need or even ever use "in depth" synth workstation features, editing, etc, etc,..? why pay for all that if your never ever going to use those features or easily do it on your DAW programs?

DITTO!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#446075 - 02/07/18 08:48 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

But the reverse is also true. Since the hardware costs are probably comparable, the increased cost of the Arranger keyboard must be attributed to software (ie. style development) development. So why pay for (expensive) auto-accompaniment features that most dedicated workstation users are "never ever" going to use?

Another never-ending debate? I think yes.

chas

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online