SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#445919 - 02/05/18 01:23 AM Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
When I was at NAMM 2018 in Anaheim at the Yamaha stand they weren't pushing the Genos at all which surprised me. They still seemed to be mainly focused on the Montage.

#445934 - 02/05/18 06:40 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

Hi Nigel,......I have heard that more then once about genos at Namm on the back burner vs their Flagship synths like Montage..Most pro KB players are more interested in synths its always been like that ..

#445970 - 02/05/18 09:38 PM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Hi Nigel,......I have heard that more then once about genos at Namm on the back burner vs their Flagship synths like Montage..Most pro KB players are more interested in synths its always been like that ..

Thats mostly in the US...

The true reason is that Yamaha USA is heavilly involved in the Montage development ( Phil aka Bad Mister ) while Yamaha europe (Martin Herris) is heavilly involved in the Genos. And while they will not openly admit it, there is quite some competition between the two teams.

The true reason why Arrangers are not popular in the US, is Yamaha US not having an interest to sell the Genos and its predecessors at all.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#445974 - 02/06/18 02:14 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I think it is crazy that any brands separate workstations from arrangers. Supporting styles is simply an addition of a little more ROM space. There is no reason Yamaha couldn't introduce a Montage that is also an arranger. Then they could sell it to all markets. The first manufacturer that does that will win for sure.

#445975 - 02/06/18 02:43 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Nigel]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By Nigel
I think it is crazy that any brands separate workstations from arrangers. Supporting styles is simply an addition of a little more ROM space. There is no reason Yamaha couldn't introduce a Montage that is also an arranger. Then they could sell it to all markets. The first manufacturer that does that will win for sure.

Have to disagree there, arranger keyboards are classed as kids toys in the pro market and any manufacture that added these features would see their pro sales (Of this type of instrument) fall through the floor.
Technically it’s easy, but changing people’s perception is not.
Bill

#445976 - 02/06/18 03:22 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Nigel]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Korg and Yamaha has done a huge step forward with the modern arrangers, and I have to agree with Nigel.
Some years ago I would disagree, but arranger and workstations (just names) is getting very close related, and now Yamaha names both Tyros and Genos as 'Workstation'.

If the tool is buildt to do as you want it to do, it's 'Pro' enough.

.... "but changing people’s perception is not." Bill say.
Agree, but I think this is about to change for every new model coming.
I predict that future models will melt the features even more, but the high end models will be more fitted for the 'Pro' market.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#445980 - 02/06/18 06:26 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

The first manufacturer that does that will win for sure.

clap

#445981 - 02/06/18 06:31 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By abacus

Have to disagree there, arranger keyboards are classed as kids toys in the pro market and any manufacture that added these features would see their pro sales (Of this type of instrument) fall through the floor.
Technically it’s easy, but changing people’s perception is not.
Bill

all good points Bill spot on ....the fact that Yamaha is now changing the terminology with "GENOS Workstation" will not change or penetrate the " Arranger keyboard kids toy, home keyboard, wooden organ AURA mentality" with Pro Synth KB players. To them anything automatically created styles, sounds etc, etc, VS creating songs from scratch with a real synth workstation will never be seen in their arsenal....I hope that someday changes for both camps.....

#445993 - 02/06/18 07:43 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
A couple of days ago I was watching a travelogue from a guy traveling in Bangkok. He was at a nightclub and the keyboard player in the reggae band was playing a technics KN 1000... wink

#445999 - 02/06/18 08:23 AM Re: Yamaha Montage at NAMM 2018 [Re: tony mads usa]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
.....the keyboard player in the reggae band was playing a technics KN 1000... wink

bow
One of the real goodies from Technics, and the first with 'dynamic accomp'.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online