#445570 - 01/29/18 07:59 AM Genos on the way
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Got a deal(NIB) I couldn’t pass up.

😊

#445573 - 01/29/18 10:03 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Nice, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Genos vs. the PA4X since you'll own both. Congratulations!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#445574 - 01/29/18 10:07 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
You son of a gun!! You’re gonna love it.

#445575 - 01/29/18 10:17 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
OLDDEN Offline

Hi,
Mine comes tomorrow, yabba dabba do.
If any of my family who were expecting more when I pop off, well oops sorry but life's tuff.
Oldden

#445577 - 01/29/18 10:20 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: OLDDEN]
guitpic1 Offline

I’m not only spending my kids inheritance...I’m spending my retirement.

Should be here Wed.
😊

#445578 - 01/29/18 10:30 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
OLDDEN Offline

Hi,
I might leave them a book, something like keyboards for dummies, well at least it's something.
Oldden

#445579 - 01/29/18 10:42 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: OLDDEN]
guitpic1 Offline

My dealer understands that if I don’t like Genos, it’s going back...I’ve done that before...sent stuff back. If I keep the Genos, the Bose speaker will most likely go back.

My S970 may go up for sale...we’ll see. I would like to get down to two arrangers...maybe one.

I’m not gigging now but that might change. In any case, I need to stop buying stuff. 🤪

Tx for the comments.

Edited by guitpic1 (01/29/18 10:43 AM)

#445580 - 01/29/18 11:09 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Congratulations on your new toy... Hoping to hear some demos and reviews once you get confy...

#445583 - 01/29/18 12:48 PM Re: Genos on the way [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Maybe sanity will return and I’ll send it all back.

😊

#445584 - 01/29/18 01:47 PM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By guitpic1
Maybe sanity will return and I’ll send it all back.

😊

I tried sending something back once but luckily I was strong enough to overcome my own will power smile.

chas

Edited by cgiles (01/29/18 01:48 PM)

#445599 - 01/29/18 07:35 PM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I tried sending something back once but her father still had that shotgun..

#445601 - 01/29/18 09:58 PM Re: Genos on the way [Re: cgiles]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I tried sending something back, but the waiter told me the sushi is supposed to be raw. eek

Jerryghr

#445610 - 01/30/18 12:20 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
OLDDEN Offline

I was going to send some 'improve your memory' tablets back, but I can't remember where I left them.
Oldden

#445614 - 01/30/18 03:48 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Uh oh! smile smile

chas

#445617 - 01/30/18 04:08 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: cgiles]
guitpic1 Offline

I wish someone would send me some sanity pills...help me understand why I’d spend this kind of $$$ and I may not even gig anymore. 🤑

#445619 - 01/30/18 04:18 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

I wish someone would send me some sanity pills...help me understand why I’d spend this kind of $$$ and I may not even gig anymore. 🤑

I was wondering that myself when you bought the bose and genos but what the heck you only live once right?....enjoy.... look forward to your review..

#445620 - 01/30/18 04:29 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

I think we're all old enough to remember the old Schlitz Beer commercial. Maybe you remember it?

"You only go around once in life: Go for all the gusto you can."

#445621 - 01/30/18 04:33 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52

I think we're all old enough to remember the old Schlitz Beer commercial. Maybe you remember it?

"You only go around once in life: Go for all the gusto you can."

#445622 - 01/30/18 04:34 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Ha ha Donny! Love it!

#445623 - 01/30/18 05:40 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Got a deal......

I’ve got a Genos on the way as well, but I’m not comfortable that it’s worth the huge amount of $$$ regardless of a fairly good deal..
If the ♪♫♯♪♫♪ slow boat from Cina ♪♫♯♪♫♪ don't show up within reasonable time, I'll most probably get enough time to get back to common senses and cancel the order....... eek2
coffee
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#445625 - 01/30/18 06:03 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny
Got a deal......

I’ve got a Genos on the way as well, but I’m not comfortable that it’s worth the huge amount of $$$ regardless of a fairly good deal..
If the ♪♫♯♪♫♪ slow boat from Cina ♪♫♯♪♫♪ don't show up within reasonable time, I'll most probably get enough time to get back to common senses and cancel the order....... eek2
coffee

It's really amazing so many are buying genos but with reservations and second guessing themselves due to the big price point,..I know the feeling for sure,......anyway congrats and wish you success with your new genos. Look forward to your first thoughts and reviews...

#445627 - 01/30/18 07:09 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]

Donny, to me it's not the money itself, because if Genos are as good as some say, I'll keep it and have lots of fun for many many years. Cost divided to years will most likely be a cheep price for the fun. wink
What make me ask if it's really worth the price, is the huge pricegap between the TOTL competitors as i.e PA4X-76.
Is genos that much better that it defend the extra dollars?

What made me pull the trigger:
1 - Got a OK deal, my T4 are a part of it.
2 - Desided not to add PA4 at this point, but rather try stay at one single keyboard/brand.
3 - All the Yamaha software already present in my archive.
4 - Genos is the Yamaha arranger that in my ears sounds best by now, the 76 keys and it looks just great.

But,
if the delivery are going to be dealyed much more than a couple of weeks, it's big chances we're heading for another pricedrop, and a new deal can be even better than this one. wink

EDIT:
Just got confirmed that Genos, speakers and some "in pack stuff" is ready to ship from the dealer, and will be picked up tomorrow.
Well, it's going to be a exciting weekend. smile

Edited by Gunnar Jonny (01/30/18 08:58 AM)

#445628 - 01/30/18 08:09 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If I had years left to live, I would have purchased the very first Genos that came in Frank's store. In reality, the price is not all that high and during the years I was still on stage, I spent far more than that on gasoline to and from the jobs alone.

Like nearly everyone on this forum, I have not had the opportunity to pass my aging fingers over the Genos. However, from everything I have heard in the way of demos, it appears to be the most amazing arranger keyboard ever.

That said, I know of three Genos owners that either sold theirs, or returned them for a refund. In all three instances, the chief complaint was that it was not set up for an onstage entertainer. However, in digging deeper into their reasons it turned out that none of the three used the very features that made it easier to perform on stage and transition from one song to another in a timely manner. They did not use registrations or the song list, but instead, selected each style from the listings at the top of their sheet music that they stored on their I-pads or tablets. None of them could play without having sheet music in front of them, and only one provided vocals. All. however, agreed it was the best sounding keyboard they have ever heard.

All the best,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#445629 - 01/30/18 08:18 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

A $1500.00 price drop would blow every Genos unit out of the warehouses & stores for sure...

#445631 - 01/30/18 08:31 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thanks Gary. Knowing the reasons for disapproval makes a whole lot of difference. as the reasons wouldn't affect us.

#445632 - 01/30/18 08:35 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

Does anyone know if the Genos does a good job of displaying scores on Midifiles like the Pa4X. My 970 does a half assed job, but nothing like the Korg.

#445633 - 01/30/18 09:23 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
A $1500.00 price drop would blow every Genos unit out of the warehouses & stores for sure...

Yep, a 40 percent price reduction would probably have the same effect on a new Maserati, too. wink

Gary cool

#445634 - 01/30/18 09:32 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Originally Posted By Dnj

Yep, a 40 percent price reduction would probably have the same effect on a new Maserati, too. wink

Gary cool

but in the long run you'd sell so many more in shorter time...
which = more profit. wink

#445636 - 01/30/18 10:04 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Having been in the retail business for many years, I can assure that it just doesn't work that way, Donny. You sell a few more, not lots more, the profit margin is very small, but the amount of work and overhead remains the same. It would be akin to lowering your price to $50 an hour for performances, and working twice as many jobs - whoops! What's wrong with this picture? wink

All the best,

Gary cool

#445637 - 01/30/18 10:56 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
You wil be pleased with the Genos , after 3 months i dont want to mis it ,
but it was a big "struggle"to get al my registrations and voices in the right way .
I wait hopefully fore the "Great" Update , to solve some issues ( register , voice saving, not working Compressor , freezing while editing ) but it is sounding so nice :-)

Impuls

#445639 - 01/30/18 11:12 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Having been in the retail business for many years, I can assure that it just doesn't work that way, Donny. You sell a few more, not lots more, the profit margin is very small, but the amount of work and overhead remains the same. It would be akin to lowering your price to $50 an hour for performances, and working twice as many jobs - whoops! What's wrong with this picture? wink

All the best,

Gary cool

or like many have told me "nice keyboard that genos" BUT, I'll just wait a year or two when it's half the price & buy one off ebay cheaper..

#445640 - 01/30/18 11:18 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

That said, I know of three Genos owners that either sold theirs, or returned them for a refund. In all three instances, the chief complaint was that it was not set up for an onstage entertainer. However, in digging deeper into their reasons it turned out that none of the three used the very features that made it easier to perform on stage and transition from one song to another in a timely manner. They did not use registrations or the song list, but instead, selected each style from the listings at the top of their sheet music that they stored on their I-pads or tablets. None of them could play without having sheet music in front of them, and only one provided vocals. All. however, agreed it was the best sounding keyboard they have ever heard.

All the best,

Gary

Regarding the comment it’s not set up for an onstage entertainer. That’s just not an accurate statement. In fact being able to use registrations with the new Playlist feature puts it right with Korg’s Songbook feature. Add the live slider controls it’s great for the live entertainer. I call the Playlist feature “the goose that laid the golden egg.”

#445642 - 01/30/18 11:22 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: Bernie9]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Does anyone know if the Genos does a good job of displaying scores on Midifiles like the Pa4X. My 970 does a half assed job, but nothing like the Korg.

Bernie, in my opinion and also as a Korg owner the Genos is definitely on par with the Korg.

#445643 - 01/30/18 11:36 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Originally Posted By Bernie9

Bernie, in my opinion and also as a Korg owner the Genos is definitely on par with the Korg.

Hey Bernie.....you chomping on the genos bit yet? lol

#445645 - 01/30/18 12:17 PM Re: Genos on the way [Re: travlin'easy]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
If I had years left to live, I would have purchased the very first Genos that came in Frank's store. In reality, the price is not all that high and during the years I was still on stage, I spent far more than that on gasoline to and from the jobs alone.

Like nearly everyone on this forum, I have not had the opportunity to pass my aging fingers over the Genos. However, from everything I have heard in the way of demos, it appears to be the most amazing arranger keyboard ever.

All the best,

Gary

Spot on Gary,
I see 2 main problems about complaints on the net:

1. People want to make their Genos sound like their old KB.
The Genos has a new sound engine and sounds different. If people load their old setups it will not sound to its full potential.
I started from scratch knowing this. And WOW what a difference in sound to my old KB.

2. People want the Genos to behave like their old one. Again big mistake.
The Genos has a new OS with lots and lots of cool features.
To me it is an Entertainers dream machine.
As Gary said: use registrations and playlists and you are set.
Now there are 10 instead of 8 buttons. Yay!
Plus with the assignable sliders adjusting parameters on the fly is a breeze.
Since Genos is a new concept it will take time to take advantage of all the features.
As Donny always says: "dig in"
Very true.
There are some that don't want to spend the time and then they are disappointed.

Another complaint is the price. LOL
Who pays the advertised price?
I got an Amazing deal from Frank at Audioworks.
Well worth it.
Plus I got a good deal on my T4. Upgrading didn't cost that much.

Is Genos for everyone? Of course not. Thank God.
That's why we have Korg and Roland.
They produce amazing gear.
I auditioned The PA4X on my last trip to Europe.
It is an amazing TOTL KB with lots of goodies.
Just not for my needs.
Is my Genos better than the PA4X? Of course not.
It is different. Both have amazing sound and style engines and amazing features.
Just a matter of priorities ...
Or if you have money and a good wife like guitpic you get both LOL

I for one are very happy with my Genos. It inspires me to make music every day.
But I am also happy to see others post their tunes with their KB.
Isn't this what this forum is about?
We live in great times with great gear at our disposal.
We should be happy about it and less complaining about it wink

Just my 2 cents.
Eric

#445650 - 01/30/18 12:53 PM Re: Genos on the way [Re: Eric, B]

Originally Posted By Eric, B

Just my 2 cents.
Eric

Thumbs up for your post Eric.

Yes sure we live in great times, and probably have lived the best times ever so far if look at future predictions.
But we have a saying around here:
We're not healthy and fresh if we don't complaint about something. wink laugh

Btw,
got a message that Genos is on the way to my adress.
Going to be a exciting weekend.....

#445651 - 01/30/18 12:57 PM Re: Genos on the way [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny
Originally Posted By Eric, B

Just my 2 cents.
Eric

Thumbs up for your post Eric.

Yes sure we live in great times, and probably have lived the best times ever so far if look at future predictions.
But we have a saying around here:
We're not healthy and fresh if we don't complaint about something. wink laugh

Btw,
got a message that Genos is on the way to my adress.
Going to be a exciting weekend.....

LOL Great saying.
Congrats on your Genos.
Hope you'll like it as much as I do mine.
If you do, you'll be in for a wild ride. keys
Eric

#445652 - 01/30/18 01:04 PM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

GJ, Congrats on the Genos, lots to explore and you having fun. Plan on not sleeping much, I saw 1 or 2 AM many nights the first couple of weeks to get up to speed. Like Eric did I started from scratch getting the Genos set up.

#445671 - 01/31/18 12:14 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: Stephenm52]
guitpic1 Offline

My Genos should be here Thurs. Going to hit it hard for a week or so...then decide if I’m going to keep it.

One thing I wonder about is playing live regarding volume balance between styles and voices at gigs.

Both my S970 and 4X have a knob that I can use to do a quick adjustment of volume balance between the two when gigging.

I understand that the only way to control volume balance(style vs. voice) on the Genos is using sliders?

#445672 - 01/31/18 02:00 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

I can't speak of the Genos, but I prefer using the sliders on my Audya when I want to inc/decr one without involving the other. It is very fast and easy.

#445675 - 01/31/18 04:49 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

You have lots of flexibility with the Genos there are designated sliders, one of them is to adjust the volume of the style. That should take care of any concern you may have. Just a little bit different way of accomplish the same outcome.

#445690 - 01/31/18 12:34 PM Re: Genos on the way [Re: Stephenm52]
guitpic1 Offline

Tx Stephen and others. Sounds like the sliders thing works for you all for balancing style/voice..??

#445724 - 02/01/18 02:18 AM Re: Genos on the way [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

I view it as a definite plus.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online