SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#443882 - 01/03/18 09:41 AM Any advantage to Midiing 2 arrangers together?
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
The tiltle says it all. I have a PSR740 and a PSR3000. Would there be any advantage to running a MIDI cable between the two

Would there be any advantage to running a MIDI cable from PSR70 to PSR 3000 and back?

/

Edited by ekurburski (01/03/18 09:42 AM)

#443885 - 01/03/18 09:50 AM Re: Any advantage to Midiing 2 arrangers together? [Re: ekurburski]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You could have both set up to be able to have access to more keys while playing, but not necessary to midi them for that, unless you wanted to access the 3000 sounds from the 740. I wouldn't think you want to use too many of the 740 sounds since they are probably all better in the 3000. Same with styles.
In my opinion it's probably more trouble than it's worth if you are moving your gear around any.

#443887 - 01/03/18 11:18 AM Re: Any advantage to Midiing 2 arrangers together? [Re: ekurburski]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Agree with Don, especially the part about moving them around.

I did this for a while using an A-frame stand. Firstly, it was hard to get the spacing and angle of the boards just right to be able to reach the keys and access all of the controls. It was fun but because I didn't want my living room to look like a music studio, I regressed to a Tyros + BK-7m beside it.

Some reasons to do this might be:
(1) to have a 3rd RH melody voice readily accessible for occasional use. These are both 61 key boards; a 76 would solve this problem.
(2) You could configure one keyboard to play chords in any inversion, and the other with an "on bass" chord recognition. This might conserve hand movement when playing consecutive non-slash chords. Of course you'll have to move your hand back-and-forth between the keyboards when it's time to play a slash chord. Also it's tricky to send the output of one arranger to the other's style engine. You might need a special user style consisting of a sustained CM7 with root bass to do this reliably. You'll also have to designate which channels receive chord and bass data in the MIDI setup.
(3) Faux "chord sequencer" or "riff mode": You can have MIDI sequences staged on one board which contain common chord progressions. You can even assign them to multipads. When you trigger them, they send the appropriate notes to the chord recognition engine on the other arranger so you can jam away with both hands while the board goes through the progression. You'll still have access to variations, fills, and it's transposable to any style or key.

Note that you can also do this with only one arranger by looping the multipad MIDI out back into the MIDI in. It's tricky but I've done it. This feature was native to the PSR-8000. I wonder why Yamaha dropped it?
Have fun! These are amazing machines and we all use them differently- maybe even differently than their designers imagined!!

#443888 - 01/03/18 12:01 PM Re: Any advantage to Midiing 2 arrangers together? [Re: TedS]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Thanks Don and Ted. IK will take your advice and leave well enough alone and just use the two keyboards seperately. I haven't played them back to back yet so have not been able to hear the difference in sound quality yet. Once I do that, I may forget the ideal of using both kb's at once totally.

Earl

#443903 - 01/03/18 03:48 PM Re: Any advantage to Midiing 2 arrangers together? [Re: ekurburski]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Earl, at one time I lugged two keyboards around to every job, and placed them on a stand that Don Mason uses all the time. Great, sturdy stand. At the time, I had a PSR-7500, which weighed just over 52 pounds and sat on the bottom tier, and a PSR-500 that was on the second tier, and the top tier had the vocal processor and some other racked gear. It was a monster. One day, I came to the stark reality that the PSR-7500 sounded better than the 760, and I began the process of trying to lighten the load while retaining the sound quality. Eventually, I achieved that goal, cut my setup time to 7 minutes, and never looked back.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#443917 - 01/03/18 06:54 PM Re: Any advantage to Midiing 2 arrangers together? [Re: ekurburski]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I often use the SD1Plus with a Midjay Plus - it expands my style choices and the Midjay can hold far more midi and mp3 files than the SD1Plus. The SD1Plus has a limited memory so I can use the SD1Plus as a controller as well as the styles that I particularly like in the SD1.
Ciao

Attachments
26197409_10208399013133226_511438298_n.jpg

#443933 - 01/04/18 01:48 AM Re: Any advantage to Midiing 2 arrangers together? [Re: ekurburski]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I midi my Hammond SK1 to my Ketron SD40 to gain arranger ability and great non Hammond sounds. It works really well as I can go from LH Hammond and RH SD40 to full Hammond by touching one button, and all with great live accmp.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online