SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#443619 - 12/31/17 10:07 AM Re: Who is using Band in a Box or vArranger & Why? [Re: Bachus]
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By Bachus

Another thing that comes to mind, is the huge difference between BiaB for PC and BiAB for MAc.

You are spot on here.... There is a huge difference..... It almost makes sense to purchase an economy Windows Laptop and dedicate it to BIAB......

Edited by rphillipchuk (12/31/17 10:09 AM)

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#443620 - 12/31/17 10:17 AM Re: Who is using Band in a Box or vArranger & Why? [Re: jingleman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Donny: I purchased BIAB 2017 thinking I’d really dig into it this time. I previously bought 2008 and 2013.

It’s still sitting as an icon on my laptop untouched. I’ve tried to get into it on a number of occasions, but the program has become quite daunting through its annual upgrades.

I know it’s capable of doing some pretty incredible things, but unless your willing to put in the time to master it...I’d think twice.

Happy New Year...jingleman

Thanx Jingleman...these are the things I want to hear about, it really helps...

#443621 - 12/31/17 10:22 AM Re: Who is using Band in a Box or vArranger & Why? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

and no matter how you cut it your always a slave to the track with BIAB,SMF Mp3 tracks etc,....nothing gives you the spontaneous freedom of playing live "BY YOURSELF" then with an arranger KB.
Thanx for the feedback everyone..

Edited by Dnj (12/31/17 11:13 AM)

#443623 - 12/31/17 10:45 AM Re: Who is using Band in a Box or vArranger & Why? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
....nothing gives you the spontaneous freedom of live playing with an arranger KB

Respectfully disagree. I would describe 'playing with an arranger KB' as LIMITED freedom. I think the more accurate statement would be "nothing gives you the spontaneous freedom of live playing'.....like PLAYING LIVE. No restrictions.

chas

#443627 - 12/31/17 10:56 AM Re: Who is using Band in a Box or vArranger & Why? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj
....nothing gives you the spontaneous freedom of live playing with an arranger KB

Respectfully disagree. I would describe 'playing with an arranger KB' as LIMITED freedom. I think the more accurate statement would be "nothing gives you the spontaneous freedom of live playing'.....like PLAYING LIVE. No restrictions.

chas

reread my edits ..

#443632 - 12/31/17 12:53 PM Re: Who is using Band in a Box or vArranger & Why? [Re: Dnj]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
I've experimented with software arrangers (real and non-real time) and concluded for myself that it requires too much settings and preparations to be useful in live situations. I also preferred simple, minimum setups in gigs, less cables, built-in vocal processing/harmonizer, etc which the software arranger hardly provides. Currently I owned the latest vArranger (Dan, the developer doing a great job in perfecting this S.A.) in my opinion, the one of the most versatile software arranger available yet I still preferred the hardware arranger especially for spontaneous arrangements, recordings and simply playing for fun. Maybe I need to take another look on software arrangers and spend some more time working on it. Just my 2 cents.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#443635 - 12/31/17 01:45 PM Re: Who is using Band in a Box or vArranger & Why? [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Donny,
I have no experience with BIAB or software synths but I do own and have gigged with vArranger. I use it with a Ketron SD2 module. Later versions of vArranger include built-in sounds and make the SD2 module unnecessary. One drawback to vArranger is the need for a very high end PC Laptop. A big plus for vArranger is it does indeed play styles from Ketron, Yamaha, Roland, and Korg. Another plus is the high level support provided by Dan the creator of vArranger. I use vArranger with a Roland A-800 Pro midi keyboard and have it programmed so that I never have to even touch the computer once the program is running - pretty neat.

FYI, by the time you get setup with vArranger. a proper PC laptop, and a midi controller you will have $1000.00 plus or more pending the price of your laptop.

I don't use vArranger much now because I am deep into my Ketron keyboards.

Deane

#443637 - 12/31/17 02:10 PM Re: Who is using Band in a Box or vArranger & Why? [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By hammer
Donny,
I have no experience with BIAB or software synths but I do own and have gigged with vArranger. I use it with a Ketron SD2 module. Later versions of vArranger include built-in sounds and make the SD2 module unnecessary. One drawback to vArranger is the need for a very high end PC Laptop. A big plus for vArranger is it does indeed play styles from Ketron, Yamaha, Roland, and Korg. Another plus is the high level support provided by Dan the creator of vArranger. I use vArranger with a Roland A-800 Pro midi keyboard and have it programmed so that I never have to even touch the computer once the program is running - pretty neat.

FYI, by the time you get setup with vArranger. a proper PC laptop, and a midi controller you will have $1000.00 plus or more pending the price of your laptop.

I don't use vArranger much now because I am deep into my Ketron keyboards.

Deane

Great advice Deane thank you, ..glad to hear your back with ketron SD7 after the holidays,...I know you found a perfect fit for Your needs with it, ...Happy New Year to you & Yours!

#443640 - 12/31/17 02:25 PM Re: Who is using Band in a Box or vArranger & Why? [Re: rphillipchuk]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By rphillipchuk
Originally Posted By Bachus

Another thing that comes to mind, is the huge difference between BiaB for PC and BiAB for MAc.

You are spot on here.... There is a huge difference..... It almost makes sense to purchase an economy Windows Laptop and dedicate it to BIAB......
I agree to both though different meanings can be assigned to the phrase "the huge difference between BIAB for PC or Mac." The PC version seems to be ahead in terms of features and operation just because BIAB started as a DOS program. Though Mac is a more music friendly OS than Windows, a low priced PC laptop will have no problem running BIAB. I have a 15.6 touchscreen hybrid Windows tablet 16GB RAM and a 2 TB SSD. It cost me just a little over $1,000. Try to do the same with Mac and it will cost a fortune. I don't even know Apple has a notebook with touchscreen yet. With a Mac, it will be over $4,000.

Bachus's past posts almost "persuaded" me to get a Mac when my daughter gave me her Mackbook Pro. The first thing that I did was buy Mainstage for $30. Mainstage wasn't as flexible as I thought it would be. I put it away. I didn't want to deal with two different OSes. I use a VST host called Gig Performer and I noticed that a lot of Mainstage users prefer GP to MS. There is no question that Mac has a superior OS for DAW/MIDI, but Windows isn't bad at all.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#443654 - 12/31/17 06:59 PM Re: Who is using Band in a Box or vArranger & Why? [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Donny,
I have both, and as others have said , you can’t really compare the 2 programs.
Biab is for creating backing tracks or songs by typing in chord progressions, or even getting it to create it’s own progressions ( I think) , haven’t used it in quite a while, though I did upgrade yesterday.
I used to have it midied to my pa800, ie type in chords biab, the pa800 would then follow the chord progression, I found it a good way of auditioning styles for a song. Used to get some interesting results mixing biab and korg tracks together ie replace a korg guitar track with a biab guitar real track. I like experimenting.

V arranger is a real-time software arranger .
It also has a mode where you can type in chord progressions and create a backing track.
I didn’t actually buy it for its real-time functions , I wanted access to the
ketron and Roland styles it can play and be able to create the midifiles I needed for my style conversions hobby ,for my Korg.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online