SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#442538 - 12/15/17 10:39 AM Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can.......
Dnj Offline

Sound amazing like this with a Roland BK9 or EA7 or others for less....

this is my opinion only keys

#442539 - 12/15/17 11:02 AM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Post a video of you playing your new EA7!

#442540 - 12/15/17 11:31 AM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I just got me Ea7.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#442541 - 12/15/17 12:03 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with DonM - Where the Hell is the video of Donny performing this song on his Ea7?

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#442546 - 12/15/17 12:38 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
EA-7 is a great value for sure.

#442552 - 12/15/17 01:15 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Because it doesn't play Yamaha styles. I had a Korg PA2XPRO and the styles didn't work with the music I like.

#442553 - 12/15/17 01:15 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I wish I had half the talent of Ralf Schink,..... he is a master player and makes Roland keyboards shine every time, .......maybe after the holidays I can record something,....but videos I'm ill equipped for except for my cell phone. I'll only say this take it any way you like,....
The Roland EA7 is the most misunderstood arranger KB on the market, don't let the price fool you.
Out of the box not so much, But once you dig into it's core you will be surprised at what you find & how good YOU can make it sound, & how easy it is to achieve so many things in so many ways,.....it is definitely a well thought out piece of gear that I have been enjoying day by day as I learn it's ins & outs. Have a great Holiday season everyone.

#442554 - 12/15/17 01:20 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada

Just an aside: I remember trying out the Roland bk-7m years ago. More recently (a year ago), I tried the EA-7. I believe the bk-7m sounded better. To confirm, I've listened to both many times on videos. What do you guys who'd owned both think? Thanks.

#442556 - 12/15/17 01:25 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Mikem]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Mikem

Just an aside: I remember trying out the Roland bk-7m years ago. More recently (a year ago), I tried the EA-7. I believe the bk-7m sounded better. To confirm, I've listened to both many times on videos. What do you guys who'd owned both think? Thanks.

forget video demos, .....as I said you have to dig into the features, EQ, makeup tool, mastering tools, etc,.. and make it sound the way you want it's all inside both keyboards..if someone is lazy and wants to just play out of the box what the factory gives you buy a Yamaha.

#442558 - 12/15/17 02:00 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Donny so much has been said about so many keyboards. Please continue to give your thoughts as you get into your new keyboard; they are needed. It was never one opinion that matters but all opinions – then one can decide.

John C.
PS, don't knock Yamaha they are fantastic for some of us. (smile)

#442559 - 12/15/17 02:13 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
Donny so much has been said about so many keyboards. Please continue to give your thoughts as you get into your new keyboard; they are needed. It was never one opinion that matters but all opinions – then one can decide.

John C.
PS, don't knock Yamaha they are fantastic for some of us. (smile)

John not knocking Yamaha kbs,.... as you know I've owned almost every Yammy arranger thru the years,.....I just don't see, or hear,
the 2k difference in the latest offering vs the others,... now that is by just watching "DEMOS" etc, and reading a reviews, etc,....in all honesty I would have to play one to make an educated opinion of course. But at this stage of the game I don't see that happening. that said why hasn't Yamaha released their S970 replacement yet?makes you wonder eh? I'm sure it's ready and beyond, don't kid yourself, they know just how to strategize their marketing for maximum game after all making profit is what its all about.,.....could it be they want to see how many genos units can be sold first and the release of the MOTL would lessen that?
just sayin'.....ok let's get back to making music shall we?....
John Merry Christmas to you and yours buddy!!

Edited by Dnj (12/15/17 02:15 PM)

#442560 - 12/15/17 02:34 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: mirza]
Jaruga71 Offline

Loc: Atlanta USA
Originally Posted By mirza
I just got me Ea7.

Congratulations Mirza.

#442561 - 12/15/17 02:47 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: mirza]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By mirza
I just got me Ea7.

Congrats a wise choice....dig in and have fun..

#442563 - 12/15/17 03:04 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

forget video demos, .....as I said you have to dig into the features, EQ, makeup tool, mastering tools, etc,.. and make it sound the way you want it's all inside both keyboards..if someone is lazy and wants to just play out of the box what the factory gives you buy a Yamaha.

I was just wondering about the out-of-the-box sound quality, not the features or how good they can sound after tweaking.

#442565 - 12/15/17 04:13 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Mikem]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

I was just wondering about the out-of-the-box sound quality, not the features or how good they can sound after tweaking.

Who is just satisfied with factory sound out of the box? No tweaking? confused1

#442569 - 12/15/17 07:06 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Dnj

Who is just satisfied with factory sound out of the box? No tweaking? confused1

We all like to tweak, but that was not my point. I was just curious to know from people with first-hand experience, which of the two sounds better.

#442570 - 12/15/17 08:10 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Mikem]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mike I had the keyboard version BK5 and the EA7...The EA7 sounds better, it also has better drum kits , and has more effect units ..

#442572 - 12/15/17 08:33 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
...The EA7 sounds better ..

You mean, it sounds better at Donny's house, right?
smile

#442578 - 12/15/17 09:02 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Fran Carango]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Mike I had the keyboard version BK5 and the EA7...The EA7 sounds better, it also has better drum kits , and has more effect units ..

Fran, the BK-5 does not sound as good as the BK-7m. I've compared both at a store, plus, some here have said the same thing a while back. Thanks for your input. smile

#442603 - 12/16/17 08:57 AM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Well, I’ve listened to the following demos and I have to say that I’m surprised not in a good way.

Whereas it sounds decent, overall it reminds me where arranger keyboards were about 10 years ago.

Giving that PSR-S770 has a similar price-tag, and it has, well, simply very-very good acoustic and electric guitars, (I can say the same about the rest of the voices and styles), I just don’t see a point to consider this product of Roland. If it’s about tweaking… well, for that purpose there are computers, which are in fact much more affordable.

Sorry, but giving what I hear I find the price for E-A7 sort of offensive.

I’d love If I was proven wrong, but not with words – with demos. If fact, I have to say that going to a store and trying the keyboard itself is not always safer than relying on watching YouTube. Because after making the whole trip to a store, then being distracted by surroundings – usually it prevents me from seeing a “real” picture. So I started to give more credit to sitting home listening to the demos being relaxed and attentive. Frankly, I find it challenging as well.

Yet, the performance in the start of the topic is indeed a good one, I love the passion.

#442689 - 12/17/17 05:35 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
Mikem Offline

These are old videos, but the BK-7m sounds pretty good. It doesn't sound "toyish" like some other low-end keyboards. This YouTube channel has lots of videos on the BK-7m. These are just a couple to get you started:

LATIN STYLES - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSaSZa7M...t=TLswUh0LffxzU

JAZZ/BLUES STYLES - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnEjdWUPizQ

Years ago, Roland was working on the successor to the G-70, but it never saw the light of day. Its research and technology however, went into the BK-7m. I think you'll agree, that for its low price, it sounds very good....except for its acoustic guitars, of course. Roland, in my opinion, never had good acoustic guitars. Not even in the Integra-7 module, or the Jupiter-80. It does have a "live" sound, though, like many prefer.

#442851 - 12/19/17 09:23 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
I wish I had half the talent of Ralf Schink,..... he is a master player and makes Roland keyboards shine every time,

Donnie.....at the risk of bursting your bubble, I looked up a couple of his video's. He doesn't impress me that much. On this video, he needs to read Don's commandment #1 (embrace silence). I never heard a sax player hold his notes that long.

I actually don't think much of most demonstrators. Don't get me wrong, I see fine players, but I see almost no creativity, especially with the piano demos, of which I'm sick of hearing by now.

The art of demonstrating is sadly lacking in individuality. Each demo-er sounds like the next. With what modern keyboards can do nowadays, it's a sin they don't come up with clever ideas instead of just their playing skills.

I DO like listening to Jurgen Sartorius and this Tony from Bonners Music in the UK. Jurgen is exciting and Tony just plain does great demos with the different instruments on different keyboards. Mostly I like listening to Jurgen. He REALLY can play just about anything and make it all sound danceable. He either wrote those Ten Commandments of Music or he reads them every day!

#442852 - 12/19/17 09:42 PM Re: Why do I need a 5k Genos When I can....... [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
For the record, I've always been a Roland man. Like a lot of you, I was also around when the first arrangers came out. I stuck with Roland for years because of their fantastic and realistic styles. I think they spend just as much time developing great dance styles as they do on the architecture of their keyboards.

I've played (not owned) almost all of them as they came out one by one. I can't remember hardly any that didn't shine on the styles. For me, the style has to really "move" me in some way for me to want to use it. The stupidest style I've ever heard is on my PA3x......the one in 6/8 time. I like playing marches, Irish Jigs, tarantellas, etc.....that style sounds like an organ grinder in a carnival.

And that G70....I played it for hours in the store. They had to tear it away from me. I would have bought it on the spot if it wasn't so heavy.

Roland might or might not be on a level with the other TOTL keyboards but their styles are outstanding in my opinion if you want more than your standard dance music, 4/4 C&W. sluggish waltz's, etc

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online