SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44218 - 06/16/05 03:34 PM Subwoofer???
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I feel that a subwoofer is needed in today?s music. Increasing the bass with an equalizer does not have the same effect, the bottom becomes stronger but the pushing sound is not there.
Since I do not own a subwoofer and the above is only my opinion, anyone's thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
I am playing a KN7000 and a Tyros.

John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 06-16-2005).]

#44219 - 06/17/05 02:06 AM Re: Subwoofer???
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Yes John, you need a Sub-Woofer, today's noises need all the help they can get. Walter.

#44220 - 06/17/05 02:07 AM Re: Subwoofer???
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi John,
I'm corious about other views too. As I don't have a subwoofer too, I experimented with an audio-mixer and used the sub-out feature in the KN7000. I made a connection: KN7000(subout l/r mono) -->audiomixer --> hifisystem. Throught my simple home-hifi-set it sounds tmo awesome.(my neightbours can confirm this statement ) I can separately justify the basses and drums (and/or AC1-5). Allthought I of course don't know how it works in larger rooms?
Cees

#44221 - 06/17/05 02:18 AM Re: Subwoofer???
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi John
I think it depends on the type of music you are playing,but for more modern dance music,it is desirable if not necessary.They want to feel that bass.It also depends on the cabs that you now use. I know when I used my old Peavy KB300's,I had plenty of bass,but it was more booming than my Z5500 and especially my Bose.

Bernie

#44222 - 06/17/05 03:05 AM Re: Subwoofer???
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Quote:
Originally posted by Walter McLaren:
Yes John, you need a Sub-Woofer, today's noises need all the help they can get. Walter.

Ha ha ha ha ha, You have a way with words Walter. At my Granddaughter?s wedding the DJ played the kind of music you are describing, very little melody, heavy bass and a lot of drums--NOISE to me. In my younger days when a new song came out we had a saying, if you can whistle the song and easily memorize it, it would become a Hit. What I heard at the wedding had no describable melody, mostly bass and drums.

On the positive side they needed to make changes in music as they have always done, my group did not sound like Guy lombardo (spelling??)
And today?s musicians do not sound like my group. But---- some of the music of today is good and I enjoy playing them.

So back to subwoofers ---- with a crossover unit you can control what goes into your speaker. In the case of wanting more of the low end, bass and drums, you can send just the lower range of sounds to your speaker. Subwoofers have built in crossovers, Bass speakers normally do not. The sound of a bass speaker with a crossover is different than a subwoofer. Why? What is it doing to the sound? Which is preferible? Any Opinions.

Music does satisfy, John C.

#44223 - 06/17/05 12:46 PM Re: Subwoofer???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi John C.
I added a KAS 200SM1 to my kn7000. This is available from Technote and at present on special price of £499.00(UK pounds).
This has made a terrific improvement in the sound of the KN and although it is expensive
can cope with a small/medium venue. It has the main bass booster plus two small monitors and is very light to carry. The main bass woofer is 120 watt and the two monitors can cope with up to 100 watt. Leads and cables are included. If you go on the technote site then you can read the info on them. With normal home use I have
set mine to a two thirds setting and then control the overall volume from the keyboard, which I have set at about one fifth.
Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Peter B

#44224 - 06/18/05 04:35 PM Re: Subwoofer???
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
There are four members of our Keyboard Club who own the KN7,we all have different 'sound assistance' - one has a small amplifier with separate speakers, one has medium sized speakers with built in amplification (and these can blow the roof off if needed), one has a sub woofer with two small speakers called an "EDifier" and I have the next model up called "The Clarifier" (both these last two items can be bought from BCK. All enhance the keyboards sounds and rhythms - itis a matter of preference.

However, my own opinion is whilst I'm pleased with my Clarifier, it isn't always necessary to take this extra 'gear' to a venue as I mostly play in small halls for Birthday parties, singalongs etc., and should the need arise I would first try the KN7's excellent Reverb settings as they also work well in medium sized venues.

Playing for dancing is a different matter. Here, I would use everything available to me, including the Clarifier, as dances tend to be noisier particularly towards the end of the evening and the sub woofer greatly enhances the KN7's performance.

Aud (U.K.)

#44225 - 06/19/05 06:02 AM Re: Subwoofer???
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
AUDREY.....Thank you.....your input is greatly appreciated.

There is a small subwoofer with a BIG sound range plugged into my 7K. Only rarely is the volume engaged beyond barely discernable to my ears...

The speakers in the 7K do a fine job where I play.... at least for my ears & those of my audiences.....

ELIZABETH

#44226 - 06/19/05 08:09 AM Re: Subwoofer???
Kenneth Gundersen Offline

Loc: Lyngdal in Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
I feel that a subwoofer is needed in today?s music. Increasing the bass with an equalizer does not have the same effect, the bottom becomes stronger but the pushing sound is not there.
Since I do not own a subwoofer and the above is only my opinion, anyone's thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
I am playing a KN7000 and a Tyros.

John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 06-16-2005).]

Can't you just connect your KN7000 to the Tyros (line out/aux in), and let it sound through the Tyros?

Ken www.kn7000.net

#44227 - 06/19/05 01:33 PM Re: Subwoofer???
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
I use the MJA 50 subwoofer with my KN7000 and would not consider using the keyboard without the added depth of sound the subwoofer gives. Compared to other keyboards especially Yamaha, the Technics instruments lack sheer power and presence because of the timid and thin bass and drums. This has always been one of the big dissapointments with the KN7000 for me, but the addition of a sub woofer makes a big difference, and worth every penny.

Kind regards to all

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online