SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#441762 - 12/01/17 03:59 PM Musician or entertainer...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
This subject comes up quite a lot on many music forums, mainly by folks that wish to become OMB entertainers. A significant number of them are very accomplished musicians, some highly trained as well as highly skilled.

The flip side of this coin is another group, who often are mediocre to good players, but they have other attributes when it comes to being an OMB entertainer. The best ones tend to be good to excellent vocalist, and have the ability to interact with their audiences while performing a song. My old friend, Don Mason has both attributes, in that he is an excellent player and entertainer, all in one package. I have seem him perform live and in person on a few occasions and can attest to this first hand.

The same holds true with Donny Pesce, Uncle Dave, Fran Carango, and a host of others that frequent this forum. More recently, I have met, over the PSR Tutorial Forum, another top-notch entertainer who has performed in several European nations, and currently performs and resides on the tiny island of Ibiza, Spain in the Mediterranean. He has an incredible background, primarily as a piano player, but also performs using a Tyros 3. He was thinking about upgrading to a Genos, and after watching him perform, I told him that he really should save his money, or spend it on his wife. He is an incredible entertainer. What do you think he should do?

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441767 - 12/01/17 08:25 PM Re: Musician or entertainer... [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Gary:

I watched earlier but did not have time to respond. The man obviously has playing talent but it is difficult to confirm on one song only. He certainly appears to be a showman with more appeal to the local crowd than an artist of recognizable stature worldwide.

Sometimes showmanship can overcome vocals that are a bit on the edge. Having the ability to keep the attention of the crowd is equally important in the business that many of you here at "The Synth Zone's Arranger Forum serve. (...and quite well, I might add.)

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it. I also wonder what a typical night's play-list for him might be? I suspect many of his songs are popular in Spain but not so well known by the rest of us?

Best regards, ----Dave Rice

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/DaveRice/

Edited by Riceroni9 (12/01/17 08:27 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#441773 - 12/02/17 12:30 AM Re: Musician or entertainer... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Both... both entertainer as well as musician...

The problem with his T3 is that due to heavy use its fallong into pieces..
And thats the reason he is looking to replace it.

I think he would even sound great on a Roland G70..

But if i where him, i would buy something light and sturdy

http://keyszone.boards.net

#441777 - 12/02/17 04:27 AM Re: Musician or entertainer... [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The performing part is received when we are born. The musician part we learn.
Gary this is a good video. The problem is when listening the mind compares with it the original performance. I could not stop thinking that he was playing a keyboard.

John C.

#441778 - 12/02/17 05:48 AM Re: Musician or entertainer... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
'Entertainer' is too broad a term for me. To me, an 'entertainer' could be anything from a kid's birthday party clown to a magician to an alligator wrestler; as long as he is entertaining people. A musician, on the other hand, is a musician. Technically, he is also an entertainer, in that he/she entertains with their musical performance. If by 'entertainer' you mean 'musical entertainer', then you run the gamut of entertainers with average to poor musical skills to musicians with average to poor entertaining skills (and everything in between). Vocals, of course, muddy the waters, so I am leaving them out of my distinctions. Of course there are some, like Victor Borge or Harry Connick, Jr. or Sammy Davis, Jr., who are both superb musicians AND entertainers.

I understand what John C. is saying above ('learn' vs 'born with') although I don't totally agree with it. I think both skills can be learned (or at least, enhanced) although ("born with" - aka 'talent') certainly helps.

BTW, this 'Entertainer vs Musician' subject is broached quite often but hardly ever by musicians - wonder why?

chas

#441782 - 12/02/17 07:26 AM Re: Musician or entertainer... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I definitely had to learn to be both to an extent. Still learning! Have to blame my mother, who was an accomplished concert pianist and church organist, and who NEVER kept her mouth shut! smile She couldn't sing though...sure miss her.

#441784 - 12/02/17 07:40 AM Re: Musician or entertainer... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, most of the music he performs is US rock songs and oldies. Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=abby+piano+man+

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441787 - 12/02/17 08:17 AM Re: Musician or entertainer... [Re: travlin'easy]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Very good entertainer and player who enjoys what he is doing. If he believes that the Genos will enhance his performances (and he can afford it) he should get one.

#441789 - 12/02/17 08:26 AM Re: Musician or entertainer... [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Musicianship can certainly be entertaining, on it's own, but I'm guessing the OP was referring to the OMB approach, where the audience benefits from a little "nudge" from an EmmCee. Most large scale concerts are all about hype - there's pyrotechnics, extensive lighting, smoke, and video .... all that adds to the entertainment value, but (once again) if you're talking more serious listening environments (jazz, classical), the audience probably doesn't expect too much of a "showman."

I pride myself on being a showman, who's constantly trying to improve my musicianship. They go hand in hand, for me. I have some people fooled into thinking I can even play jazz, although, I won't dare put myself in that category. I have a jazz "feel", but lack serious, trained chops. There are nights when I desperately need to showcase some technique, if only for a song or two. Last night, for example, I played my tenor for 1/2 of the first set, and interspersed it throughout the night, whenever I could. It gave me a more "legit" element to an otherwise sterile (digital) performance. Even with all the improvements that modern keyboards offer, there's still something special about adding an acoustic element to a digital performance. (guitar, sax, even a tambourine helps make it sound more believable) I'll be tantalizing my crowds all month with guitar, bass, uke, mandolin, clarinet, sax, flute, and creative Manhattan Transfer-ish harmonies behind our many guest singers. I see my stage as a mini showcase each night, and the balance between music and schmaltz is adjusted as needed. Every night is different.

There is a great quote from the movie "LaLaLand" that addresses jazz, but it really applies to my performance approach, as well.
"... it's conflict, and compromise, and it's different every time. It's VERY exciting"
Now, I realize "real" jazz musicians rate this movie up there with Kenny G, and Jimmy Buffett, but I see something in it that will shine, if they ever take it to the stage. Gosling and Stone are charming, but give those songs to Sutton Foster and Jeremy Jordan, and they'll come alive. I can't wait to see if they adapt it for the Broadway stage.
But, I digress ... aw, hell. I'm done. You get the point. You need fluff AND fiber.

#441792 - 12/02/17 08:31 AM Re: Musician or entertainer... [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I do agree with John in that inherent personality provides basis for the entertainer side(extrovert vs introvert). Entertaining has to be worked at for those who are not naturals at it, and can be more daunting than learning the musicianship; about stepping out of your comfort zone and such..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online