SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#441173 - 11/20/17 10:11 PM my transition: musician to entertainer
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I thought I'd like to share this if you don't mind. It's a major change for me that I was in no way expecting. I've evolved again……I’ve just finished my transition from a musician to an entertainer.

It started six months ago. Been playing this one place for 15-20 years. I play grand piano and the residents sit all around me on couches and soft chairs listening for an hour. This one time, they were remodeling and they put the piano on the stage in the auditorium. I wasn't told about that....giving a performance on a stage with everyone in folding chairs sitting there waiting for the show to begin. In short, I walked into a very unusual, first-time situation!

Well, I amazed myself. I came through with flying colors...did an inpromtu show completely out of my head...no music sheets, no notes, no preparation at all. I didn't realize I had such a knowledge of music in the old cranium waiting to be tapped into…….vocals, jokes, trivia, stories, one-liners, comedy, and a good sense of humor in my traveling bag.

Coincidentally, the very next job turned out to be the same thing. Huge auditorium and now twice as many people. And me there at this beautiful Yamaha Grand feeling like a star. I came through again with the same kind of a show……talking, playing, singing, etc

Afterwards, I thought I would test myself and I just walked into any Senior place I was driving by, introduced myself, and asked (If they had a piano) if they wanted a free show. Of course, the answer was an immediate "yes!" I still can't believe, the entertaining just flowed out of me naturally. I did a half dozen like that. One of the places, the director was there and he told the AD to book me immediately. She gave me five 2018 gigs.

I also discovered what people really want by asking after each performance “how did you like it?” One person summed it all up. He said to me they really enjoyed it....that it was a perfect balance of music, singing, talking, and humor and because I took the time in between songs to tell them the title of the next song, the story behind the song (how it came to be written, etc), hit them with humor (the title of the song used to be “Let Me Call You Street smart, I’m in love with you,” but clever me changed it to what you hear now……”Let Me Call You Sweetheart.” Enough of those corny one-liners easily fills up 60-90 minutes.

I'm thinking I really like this. Being on stage or mixing with the people offstage and suddenly feeling like a star again. Also thinking it doesn't get better than this......not having to lug the equipment around if they have a piano, and if they don't, just bring the accordion and most times I do both...play the piano and then give them a remembrance of what they grew up with...the accordion. And best of all, I don’t have to decide whether I want to buy a Genos or not.

So this just might be the answer to the burn-out I've had these last four years. A new path for me that seems to be kick-starting me out of my lethargy and the industrial strength antidote to the AD problem I’m having lately. Now I feel complete and unique.....I can play, sing, AND entertain. That gives me the edge on many of the other acts, especially with the accordion playing. That kind of plays right into Donny’s “become so good they can’t ignore you!”

So, I started out as an accordionist, then a pianist, then a one-man-band, then a vocalist, then a disc jockey, then a Karaoke artist, back to being a musician, and now.....a Victor Borge type entertainer (though no one could match the Victor!).

My only regret is that this didn’t happen sooner…me knowing this other side of me even existed. But I’m glad I see it now. Just have to figure out what I should do with it. I’m seriously thinking about taking the ball and running with it. Maybe this AD garbage was a blessing in disguise. Like Zuki said…..focus on where you’re appreciated. And with this new talent of mine, I can find more places where “I’m appreciated” and get back into playing regularly again.

Mark

#441176 - 11/21/17 12:55 AM Re: my transition: musician to entertainer [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Mark

I think it is great that you have found a way to regain your impetus. Of coarse, you have had the experience and talent waiting for an outlet. Your trial by fire forced it out.

Bernie

#441183 - 11/21/17 06:56 AM Re: my transition: musician to entertainer [Re: Mark79100]
zuki Offline

Mark, you're a fortunate one that can play an acoustic too! Just stick with that - heck with lugging around $$ that will depreciate and even break down. Good news!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#441190 - 11/21/17 08:23 AM Re: my transition: musician to entertainer [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mark, I am so happy you found your niche. I've been on this forum for many, many years and I have always said that in order to make a living in the music business, you MUST be an entertainer. I absolutely loved being on stage and had my health not gone to Hell, I would still be there at age 77 and singing to the ladies.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441855 - 12/03/17 10:10 PM Re: my transition: musician to entertainer [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Thanks so much for the compliments and support from you guys. I could live a week on remarks like that.

Unfortunately....I think it's too late for me to enjoy my new profession. I'm still burned out (four years now) and still can't figure out why?

I caught Donnie's sudden retreat from the music scene a few months back and I remember thinking something like "I'll bet he's experiencing what I am"..........50 years of doing the same thing over and over again no matter how much you like it!

But I think the real reason I burned out is what I'm always complaining about....the rude people and the red tape you have to deal with nowadays. And there's no way around it. Thank goodness those 50 years were a joy ride!

#441877 - 12/04/17 06:33 AM Re: my transition: musician to entertainer [Re: Mark79100]
zuki Offline

Burnout is in everything repetitive. It's a struggle to play quite a lot and work on new music after hours. I have to force myself to unload my keyboard, set it up and find 'selfish' time to bury myself under the headphones (now I love my Adam 5s better than phones) and ignore the family once again. But once I get going, I find inspiration in new material and a great challenge trying to pull off live, by memory...when it comes together, it's always worth the effort and the music continues..........

Besides, what better gig is there than playing live music for folks? - we are in the minority and I am blessed to be.

Edited by zuki (12/04/17 06:36 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#441883 - 12/04/17 08:35 AM Re: my transition: musician to entertainer [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I sincerely believe the reason I never experienced burnout was that I was constant introducing new songs into my performances, which provided me with a new challenge on a weekly basis. I had a goal of learning at least one new song every week during the past 30 years, and even though I am now retired, I still do this. My friend, Don Mason, added to this by providing me with more songs to learn, which I managed to do. Don introduced me to many, many new songs over the years, and for that I am very grateful. Just last week, a friend, fellow sailor, and musician in Germany, Udo, asked for a style suggestion for a song called "Galway Girl." I listened to the song on You Tube and couldn't get it out of my heard. I quickly found a style file, posted it for my friend Udo, then went about downloading the chords and lyrics and recorded the song for my own enjoyment. That was last week. This week, I'm working on a ZZ Top song. It's hard to burn out when you are constantly faced with a challenge.

Click here to hear my rendiion of Galway Girl

Good Luck,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (12/04/17 08:39 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441958 - 12/05/17 09:38 PM Re: my transition: musician to entertainer [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Well, you members came through again. Someone said the same thing to me many years ago. Are you learning new songs?

So I took your advice here but modified it a bit. The last 2-3 days, instead of new songs, I'm back to practicing Jerry Lee Lewis left hand piano patterns. And.....taking any song and instead of just playing the chords....."voice" the chord in as many different ways as I can. Both projects are challenging enough to renew my interest somewhat.

But, again, I think that's it for me. The difference between Donnie and me is I've been playing full time for 50 years now. That's maybe 5-7 gigs a week, a lot of doubles, and a few triples even. I mean, I loved every minute of it, but I think it finally caught up with me. My life is now "off-balance" from playing so many gigs over the years.

But, again, it was a good run and if I had to do it all over again, I would take the same route. Zuki is correct when he says: "what better gig is there than playing live music for folks? - we are in the minority and I am blessed to be"

Bills still have to be paid though so I'll keep playing whatever nursing homes I'm able to pick up and hope I can still keep my membership in the Synthzone and maybe even be in the Synthzone Hall of Fame for most gigs worked!

#441980 - 12/06/17 07:43 AM Re: my transition: musician to entertainer [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Mark79100
maybe even be in the Synthzone Hall of Fame for most gigs worked!

LOL - There are a number of us that will give you a run for your money on THAT category. I've got 50 years on stage, as well, and too many jobs to count.

#441988 - 12/06/17 08:41 AM Re: my transition: musician to entertainer [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
And the congregation said, "AMEN".

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online