SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#441072 - 11/19/17 07:49 AM To get a Genos or not to get a Genos..
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
That is the question. My heart is torn. I like what the Genos offers but then there are the shortcomings I mentioned in a previous post. To be honest there are workarounds that can be implemented such as the vocal harmony. The Genos has VH2 as we all know and it's supposed to be an improvement over VH1 which came on the Tyros 1/2/3. I think one of the limitations of the Genos VH2 is the mic that a person uses plus the quality of mic cable and also when recording to make sure the sound is isolated from the music itself so there's no interference. I did a song years ago on my Tyros 1 using the Vocal harmony function and the harmony actually sounded pretty decent. I used a Shure 87A mic and I had a quality cable and also I isolated the sound so as not to provide interference with the actual sound source. I posted the song below so you can hear for yourself. So I might be able to get the Genos VH2 to sound better than the demonstrations we've heard thus far on the web. eek

The second shortcoming in my estimation is that the polyphony is not allocated across the entire range of the keyboard. A solution to this is to tread lightly when layering preset voices and diligently use the expansion voices when a lot of layering is needed for a more robust sound.

The third shortcoming is the Genos still uses USB 2.0 instead of the current USB 3.1 standard. For recording purposes USB 2.0 is fine. But when transferring data files to and from the Genos to a computer there of course lies the bottleneck. The nice thing about the Genos is the internal flash memory is pretty quick and once the data in on the Genos it stays there even when the power is turned off. So once the data is on the Genos you're basically good to go.

What else... Oh yeah. No balanced outputs but since the DAC has been improved it's less of a concern albeit you lose a little in the way of signal strength and that can be corrected by simply adjusting the volume.

I would probably keep my Tyros 3 if I bought a Genos and maybe sell it later on. Or I could trade it in if they gave me a decent offer but that is highly unlikely. Bottom line? Since there are workarounds the shortcomings are less of a concern. Especially if I can get the Genos VH2 to sound relatively decent. I know I know. But strangers things have happened. That's what they we're saying about the original Tyros 1/2/3 VH1 until I cracked the code. laugh

What can I say? It's Thanksgiving in a few days. I'm "thankful" Yammie produced a stellar arranger keyboard (76 keys no less) and if I buy a Genos I will be "giving" Yammie a ton of money (figuratively speaking of course) and that will make them extremely happy I would think. So therefore it's a win win situation. laugh Decisions decisions..

All the best,

Mike

Attachments
On_The_Road_Again.mp3 (56 downloads)

Edited by keybplayer (11/19/17 08:05 AM)

#441075 - 11/19/17 09:08 AM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By keybplayer
"To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. "
... and if I buy a Genos I will be "giving" Yammie a ton of money ... laugh Decisions decisions..

I've been in the thinking box about buying a PA4X-76 for a long time. Then Genos appeared on the market.
Although Genos is the arranger that, in my opinion, both looks and sounds best in Yammie series, I'm far from convinced that switching T4 is the right decision.
The price gap between G and PA is quite big, so I strongly consider keep T4 and add a PA4X-76.
That way, I might have the best of two top arrangers, and still get use of the large number of Tyros styles already in the archive.

As you say: Decisions decisions..
juggle
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#441077 - 11/19/17 09:28 AM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
Bachus Offline

Decisions...

If it only had 88 keys... i would have jumped in...

I never buy a new keyboard in its first 6 months for 3 reasons
- Bugs
- Price
- Support

Especially the price. Now there is not much room for negotiations.
As there is a shortage of Genos.

Ask me again in May, and i will tell you if the Genos is worth adding $3000 on top of my lovely pa4x.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#441081 - 11/19/17 10:18 AM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I’m at a bit of a crossroads on purchasing a Genos too. Got a pretty terrific set up now with the Pa4x and S970. I could sell both the Pa and S970 and buying a Genos wouldn’t be a lot of out of pocket cash. As much as I like the Genos, I’m not totally convinced I want to give up the Pa4x, yes on the S970. Gotta say once I played the Genos at Frankieve’s store I was sold. On the other side of the coin I’m 65 turning 66 in about 2 months, my late dad died at 64 and never really got to enjoy his retirement he developed cancer and died 2 months before his retirement date. Male mortality rate on my father’s side of the family is not that great. My point is got to enjoy as much as I can.

I guess Genos being backordered at present is a good thing, I’ll have more time to make the decisions. Life is short, but nevertheless Mike wrote “decisions, decisions.”

Edited by Stephenm52 (11/19/17 11:29 AM)

#441082 - 11/19/17 10:35 AM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Prices have already started to drop in the UK (Even though the Genos is going down like a house on fire) and is now about £3000 cheaper than when first launched, so best to hang on till the new year (Sales are always quiet in January so dealers look for ways to get their quota’s in) when you should get a really top notch deal.

New instruments always sound great, but best to wait until things calm down before making a decision, as otherwise you may regret it long term. (Although Yamaha seems to have landed a winner with the Genos)

Bill

#441089 - 11/19/17 01:33 PM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mike, my wife has shortcomings. I just learned to work around them and do exactly what she commands. wink (Hope she doesn't read this!) wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441092 - 11/19/17 02:02 PM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
124 Offline

smile You mean you didn't okay it with her before publication? smile

#441093 - 11/19/17 02:10 PM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
124, I'm the boss of my family and I have my wife's permission to say so! wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#441099 - 11/19/17 04:15 PM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
124 Offline

smile

#441103 - 11/19/17 04:56 PM Re: To get a Genos or not to get a Genos.. [Re: keybplayer]
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I am the The Boss in my Family..... I run the Dishwasher, Vacuum Cleaner, Floor Polisher, etc.....

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online