SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#441033 - 11/18/17 06:49 AM Starting to sound the same
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Watched this video. Thing is, the Genos sounds about like the T5 to me...could be what im using to listen.

https://youtu.be/QxeWRmhqyHA

If I were to go to a different keyboard, factors other than sound would have to come in to play...cause I just don’t think there is that big step up in sound...just variations on a theme.

For instance...

1. 76 Keys. Would I gain that much more of a playing experience from 61 Keys?

2. Keybed. I noticed a huge difference in the keybed going from my S970/Tyros4 to my PA4X. For me, my 4X keybed was a much higher quality and better playability. Genos keybed? Is the keybed/touch at least equal to my 4X..anywhere close to a hammered action feel?

3. Songbook/Music finder...my 4X has a good system. I arrange the songs on my Songbook and no matter what folder I copy them into, the arrangements are there. On my Yammies, I had to make sure my arrangements were the same on all my registrations...but then maybe I didn’t use that system correctly?

4. Controls for live play. Genos anywhere close to 4X?..which for me is the gold standard.

Thoughts?

Edited by guitpic1 (11/18/17 06:50 AM)

#441051 - 11/18/17 04:12 PM Re: Starting to sound the same [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By guitpic1
Watched this video. Thing is, the Genos sounds about like the T5 to me...could be what im using to listen.

https://youtu.be/QxeWRmhqyHA

If I were to go to a different keyboard, factors other than sound would have to come in to play...cause I just don’t think there is that big step up in sound...just variations on a theme.

For instance...

2. Keybed. I noticed a huge difference in the keybed going from my S970/Tyros4 to my PA4X. For me, my 4X keybed was a much higher quality and better playability. Genos keybed? Is the keybed/touch at least equal to my 4X..anywhere close to a hammered action feel?

3. Songbook/Music finder...my 4X has a good system. I arrange the songs on my Songbook and no matter what folder I copy them into, the arrangements are there. On my Yammies, I had to make sure my arrangements were the same on all my registrations...but then maybe I didn’t use that system correctly?

4. Controls for live play. Genos anywhere close to 4X?..which for me is the gold standard.

Thoughts?

My 2 cents, I don't own a Genos but played one for about 2 hours this past Tuesday at Frankieve's AudioWorksCt. 2 hours was better than not trying one, but I could have easily spent the entire day there. Frank is a knowledgeable guy as we all know, he uses the Genos with several bands he plays keyboard with. He gave me a run down of some of the features he uses. After the 2 hours I'm convinced it sounds better than the T5. Reminds me of the sonic differences I heard moving from the Pa3x to the Pa4x.

When I arrived at his store my first stop after greeting him was a pit stop. While I took care of business Frank fired up one of the new piano voices (CX7) on the Genos and played some piano solo. Whoa, playing it thru his in store sound system I thought that sounds better than any piano I remember on the Tyros 5 I once owned. To give a true comparison for demoing I took my Sennheiser 280 HD Pro headphones and A/B tested the 4x and Genos.

To answer your 2nd question the keybed is good but it's not the quality of the Pa4x. The keybed of the 4x is tough one to beat. In my opinion out of the arrangers I've owned it's the best, although from what I remember the G70 was pretty close to the 4x.

3. Songbook/Music Finder? Music finder is on longer available on Genos it's called Playlist and it's the "goose that laid the golden egg" since you can now use registrations and store them in a Playlist similar to Songbook on the Korg. Registrations were always powerful now with Playlist organization is more efficient.

4. Live play? Looks like Yamaha took a lesson from korg with the position and layout of the live controls. The veritical sliders on Genos are shaped like drawbars on the old Hammonds and the throw on them is outstanding. From what I've seen for live play Genos is equal to the 4x. In talking with Frank he certainly has it all under control and what he does with registrations work great for his band work.

Pa4x and Genos both outstanding boards both have their strengths tough to call one better than the other. I know I couldn't

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online