SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#440919 - 11/16/17 07:56 AM cutest GOOD bass player I've seen.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
https://youtu.be/fg2BS7H_dAU

Just because she LOVES playing. Wish I knew what she was laughing at!

#440920 - 11/16/17 08:17 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Okay, calm down Roy Moore....I mean, Uncle Dave smile smile. Yeah, she's got that sense of rhythm that's missing in so many people. Dave, you've been involved in music education a long time; do you think that's an 'innate' thing or can it be learned? I lean towards the former (probably one component of so-called 'musical talent').

chas

#440921 - 11/16/17 08:53 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#440923 - 11/16/17 09:31 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tai is the BOMB! I've seen her at NAMM several times!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (11/16/17 09:32 AM)

#440924 - 11/16/17 11:40 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy

I've seen her - she's great ... but where's the cute factor??? Where's the smiles!!!!

#440925 - 11/16/17 11:48 AM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
do you think that's an 'innate' thing or can it be learned?

Chas, my experience in education has taught me that there are "lightbulb" moments in all areas of learning. Remember the drummer in "Mr Holland's Opus" who finally learned to FEEL the beat? People "get it" at different times. (or never) I think everyone can get to a point that's on a higher level, with proper training, and practice, but I agree with you ... the innate "feel" is hard, if not impossible to teach. Some untrained musicians just have it, and some well trained musicians will never have it. I think an audience reacts to the players energy, and as an audience member (in this case) I can feel her happy place when she plays, and I'm grateful for it. It doesn't hut that she's adorable, but the happy factor would show through even if she were not.

I've been blessed to have several dozen "lightbulb" moments with students over the years, and some have brought me to tears. I taught a 7th grader to play a guitar, who had never held one, and now he out plays me. He's a natural, and his hands are built to be wrapped around the neck of a guitar. He's one of my favorite graduates, and favorite humans, too.

Great question. Anyone else care to weigh in? Feel vs. technique ... does written music even HAVE any feel?
and ...... GO!

#440932 - 11/16/17 01:20 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, I agree 100 percent. She seems to be loving every moment of the performance. She has that wow factor going for her, and unlike many of the trained musicians I've seen, she feels the rhythm. Many of the trained musicians I've encountered play very accurate chords and notes, but their music tends to be quite stilted, IMO.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#440934 - 11/16/17 01:41 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]

Victor Wooten smiles a lot, and he's kind of cute...does that count? Tai was really concentrating on a far more difficult passage, with lots of improvisation. Believe me, in person, she's really cute, sweet and a monster on bass.

The other girl is very good, but not nearly as advanced. The Wooten cover she did was note for note. Nothing wrong with that, but I can play it, and do often.

R.

#440935 - 11/16/17 01:54 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: cgiles]

Dave, other than your questionable taste in women (just joking!), you nailed it on creativity, benchmark moments and the pure joy in being part of the moment a player "gets it".

I.too have known Masters and above level music graduates who just couldn't swing. I knew one who couldn't even count very well.

Look at Leonid and friends. Those Russian dudes can really swing, and all horn section players were reading charts.

I appreciate your dedication to good music and kids.

Oh, and all your Kentucky ladies say they put a little bit of their SS checks back each month to help pay that massive Starbucks bill you skipped out on.

Be well,

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (11/16/17 01:56 PM)

#440936 - 11/16/17 02:01 PM Re: cutest GOOD bass player I've seen. [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I was just checking this one out. She appears to be a little older????....but still kicking butt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTxeeDyk1A

chas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online