SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#440794 - 11/12/17 05:24 AM Re: Does the new Yamaha Genos have a “Live Sound” [Re: keybplayer]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Mike, we’ve discussed this point many times on this forum.Yamaha is probably the best (worst) case proving the point that manufacturing costs have no bearing on pricing. They know they have a market that will pay their high price for the Genos. My issue with it is they had an opportunity to level the playing field with the advent of new technology, a new name (Genos), a way to bring this technology to a younger audience, but they went with the same old high priced marketing approach.

Will they sell a boat load (a little pun for Gary😏), probably. But for those who want to tap into this technology without paying the Genos price, they’ll have to wait for the PSR-970 replacement.

#440808 - 11/12/17 10:44 AM Re: Does the new Yamaha Genos have a “Live Sound” [Re: jingleman]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Mike, we’ve discussed this point many times on this forum.Yamaha is probably the best (worst) case proving the point that manufacturing costs have no bearing on pricing. They know they have a market that will pay their high price for the Genos. My issue with it is they had an opportunity to level the playing field with the advent of new technology, a new name (Genos), a way to bring this technology to a younger audience, but they went with the same old high priced marketing approach.

Will they sell a boat load (a little pun for Gary😏), probably. But for those who want to tap into this technology without paying the Genos price, they’ll have to wait for the PSR-970 replacement.

I disagree on that..

A) the s970 allready has the same hardware inside as the Genos
B) the live knobs on the 970 have the same function as the live controlls on th Genos

Other high end features like the sa2 sounds, ensemble voices, huge dsp section, 76 keys, and possibly the new revo dums will not fimd their way into the psr series...

The psr s series have allways been an upgrade from their previous versions which stands sepperately from the Genos...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#440811 - 11/12/17 11:44 AM Re: Does the new Yamaha Genos have a “Live Sound” [Re: Bachus]
jingleman Offline

So Bachus...your saying that none of the new technology developed for the Genos will find its way into the PSR series arrangers?

Maybe you’ve got an insider at Yamaha...if not, I find that hard to believe.

I remember when I had a Tyros 1. Stopped into a local music store and saw the PSR 3000.
I felt pizzed off that this board sounded exactly the same as my T-1.

I agree that Yamaha won’t make a baby Genos like they basically did with T-1. But they’ll have to improve psr series somehow. Korg does a pretty good job of it with 4X and 1000.

Edited by jingleman (11/12/17 01:41 PM)

#440822 - 11/12/17 06:30 PM Re: Does the new Yamaha Genos have a “Live Sound” [Re: jingleman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I sincerely believe the new technology will find its way into the upcoming PSR-S series of arranger keyboards - it's just a matter of time and patience.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#440840 - 11/13/17 11:17 AM Re: Does the new Yamaha Genos have a “Live Sound” [Re: jingleman]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
So Bachus...your saying that none of the new technology developed for the Genos will find its way into the PSR series arrangers?

Maybe you’ve got an insider at Yamaha...if not, I find that hard to believe.

I remember when I had a Tyros 1. Stopped into a local music store and saw the PSR 3000.
I felt pizzed off that this board sounded exactly the same as my T-1.

I agree that Yamaha won’t make a baby Genos like they basically did with T-1. But they’ll have to improve psr series somehow. Korg does a pretty good job of it with 4X and 1000.

Actually, i am saying quite a lot of the new features of the Genos are allready in the psr s970...

Also i am saying other things will probably never come, or take at least a decade...

Like the sa2 voices, they are over a decade old, yet never made it to he psr s series...

Edited by Bachus (11/13/17 11:19 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#440842 - 11/13/17 01:11 PM Re: Does the new Yamaha Genos have a “Live Sound” [Re: Bachus]
jingleman Offline

Bachus: Other than the VH2 with vocoder and the arpeggiator...please enlighten me. There has to be $3500 worth of differences somewhere.

I know your knowledgeable of gear...so I’m not being condescending.

#440843 - 11/13/17 01:32 PM Re: Does the new Yamaha Genos have a “Live Sound” [Re: jingleman]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Why would they make another PSR-series keyboard? The PSR series existed because it was a "little brother" to the Tyros. Now that the Tyros no longer exists, why would they make it? They will probably make a "little brother" for the Genos. Make sense?

#440844 - 11/13/17 02:00 PM Re: Does the new Yamaha Genos have a “Live Sound” [Re: Mikem]
jingleman Offline

According to Bachus (again...not being condescending) the PSR-S970 is the Genos little brother. And since the 2 products are not related...the PSR series could continue to be developed and marketed on it’s own platform.

Since the PSR series has been so successful for Yamaha...whether they change the name or not, there will always be a PSR type product line from Yamaha. (IMHO)

#440848 - 11/13/17 02:10 PM Re: Does the new Yamaha Genos have a “Live Sound” [Re: jingleman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
PSRs were around long before Tyros came out.

#440849 - 11/13/17 02:40 PM Re: Does the new Yamaha Genos have a “Live Sound” [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By DonM
PSRs were around long before Tyros came out.

Fact is PortaSound goes back to 1980.. And the Tyros was the aftermath of a PortaSound history..

PortaSound will outlast any top line Yamaha makes including Genos..

Yamaha makes more money in sales on the lower lines.

There were many PortaSound models that were in fact Yamaha's top of the line... and not just the 9000 Pro..

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online