SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#439692 - 10/23/17 06:27 PM Hands On Genos Report
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
My Genos arrived today. Here is what I know so far.

1. Every single one of my gig styles from previous yamaha keyboards play ok.
2. Some of my styles were replaced with Genos factory styles and sound good.
3. I tried some registrations from other yamaha owners and they also worked ok.
4. The touch screen works just fine and is easy to read and see.
5. The Touch screen menu is very intuitive.
6. I did not buy the speakers and am using good headphones.
7. Many of the onboard styles sound very familiar - same intros and voices etc..
8. I tried onboard styles from PSR3000, T1, T2, T3, T4, and T5. They all played ok.

The fact is, I could have taken the Genos out of the box, inserted my thumb drive with all my gig setups on it and played a gig right on the spot. So, if anyone was concerned about backward compatibility - don't worry about it.

There are some negatives:
1. The sliders and knobs jump in level when changed during live play - not a good
thing.
2. The RH sound is not as well balanced with the styles on the Genos as they were
on previous Yamaha keyboards and will probably need tweaking down the line.

I will post more on this thread tomorrow as I learn more about the Genos.

Deane

#439695 - 10/23/17 06:50 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Deane,

Thanks for the feedback, how about the Playlist feature let us know how it works especially with registrations.

Edited by Stephenm52 (10/23/17 07:00 PM)

#439696 - 10/23/17 06:55 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Deane,
The thing with the sliders is hard to avoid...unless the kbd has powered sliders that get set to the current location automatically when a sound etc is loaded...then when you move them you are moving them from their current value...without powered sliders when you first touch them the values will jump to the current value of the current location of the slider.
No way around it.

#439698 - 10/23/17 06:56 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
leeboy Offline

Deane,
How good are the sounds...especially all the orchestral stuff...but everything??
That's what I really care most about.

#439701 - 10/23/17 07:07 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

I will be going through the manual page by page tomorrow and doing performing all the steps it describes. That to me is the only way to provide a fair and honest answer to questions.

I do not use registrations and never have but I have many that I downloaded and will give them a go.

I have also never used the Yamaha Music Finder - I simply setup my gigs with songstyles located in folders such as 1940s etc..

I'll try tomorrow to get to these things and post my findings.

As for sound - so far I have not gotten far enough into it to comment.

Deane

#439706 - 10/23/17 09:23 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
On the Motif, the sliders were not motorized but the slider will not work until you get to the current value. For example... the slider is all the way up... 127. But the current value is 64. Between 65-127 nothing would happen. Once you hit 64, the slider would start working from there. I wonder if there is a user parameter you could change. I also wonder what their reasoning is if it does jump.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#439710 - 10/23/17 10:04 PM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By hammer
My Genos arrived today. Here is what I know so far.

1. Every single one of my gig styles from previous yamaha keyboards play ok.
2. Some of my styles were replaced with Genos factory styles and sound good.
3. I tried some registrations from other yamaha owners and they also worked ok.
4. The touch screen works just fine and is easy to read and see.
5. The Touch screen menu is very intuitive.
6. I did not buy the speakers and am using good headphones.
7. Many of the onboard styles sound very familiar - same intros and voices etc..
8. I tried onboard styles from PSR3000, T1, T2, T3, T4, and T5. They all played ok.

The fact is, I could have taken the Genos out of the box, inserted my thumb drive with all my gig setups on it and played a gig right on the spot. So, if anyone was concerned about backward compatibility - don't worry about it.

There are some negatives:
1. The sliders and knobs jump in level when changed during live play - not a good
thing.
2. The RH sound is not as well balanced with the styles on the Genos as they were
on previous Yamaha keyboards and will probably need tweaking down the line.

I will post more on this thread tomorrow as I learn more about the Genos.

Deane

1, the sliders and knobs should have been the same as on the cheepr montage, limitless encoders for the knobs and both with lights.. There should be a setting to change their behaviour .. On any pro keyboard, you can set them up in 3 ways..
a) as they are with your Genos now
b) where you have to move the slider or knob to the current vallue, and it picks up from there.. (which should work quite well with the small screen above them)
c) Dynamic.. example you slider is at 30% and the value is at 64... moving it upwards gives you 65 to 127 and moving down gives you 63 to 0.. it feels a little awkward as the operation is not linear anymore.. but when you get used to it it works quite well, i use this on the kronos.
Please tell me if you can find this setting somewhere, if not, i will add it to the wishlist on the psr forum...This one is very important.

2) part of this is personal prefference.

Glad you could so easilly switch, and everything works out perfectly, i think this will be a real assurance for many giggers.

But how is the sound quallity compared to the Tyros 5?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#439725 - 10/24/17 08:10 AM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Bachus,
I did not have the Tyros 5 long enough to answer that question. I am using headphones right now and the sound is very good. Is it better than the T5 - I don't know. I am upgrading from the Tyros 4 and there is a difference.

I did experiment last night with changing drum kits and that can make a big difference in the style. I installed the semi-perm thumb drive with all my gig setups on it and will report back later about it.

So far the Genos is a lot faster than the T4 and the screen works great. Startup time has been improved and styles load very fast.

I am looking for a way to establish volume settings for style parts for each style and then being able to save that setup within the style. I suspect I will have to do that within a registration.

Deane

#439729 - 10/24/17 08:40 AM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: hammer]
leeboy Offline

I really hope the sliders are like the pro instruments as said...I call it catchup mode where they dont do anything until current value id reached....I think that's best for me anyhow....
The question is...is that a option on Genos????

#439749 - 10/24/17 10:03 AM Re: Hands On Genos Report [Re: leeboy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By leeboy
I really hope the sliders are like the pro instruments as said...I call it catchup mode where they dont do anything until current value id reached....I think that's best for me anyhow....
The question is...is that a option on Genos????

Same question here, its not in the early version of the refference manual..

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online