SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#439081 - 10/14/17 06:39 PM I Love SynthZone -- What can we add?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I visit SynthZone at least once a day.

My Reasons:
1-Fellowship – I have made some precious friends through the years.
2-To see how and what other arranger players are doing.
3-To learn about the new keyboards.
4-To buy and sell my instruments. 80% of my buying and selling has been right here for the last 20 years. And almost all of it was done by trusting the buyer or seller. I bought my Pa900 from Don; If I remember correctly the check and keyboard went out about the same time.

What I would like to see posted is music knowledge that we all do not have. Knowledge like:
1-Chord structure.
2-Chord progressions.
3-Chord substitutions.
4-An easy way to transpose without using the button.
5-Memory lane – Greta musical times that we enjoyed

Plus whatever you have to offer besides the latest instrument discussions; which I feel are important.

Only M.H.O. John C.

#439092 - 10/15/17 02:54 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
Stilli Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123

What I would like to see posted is music knowledge that we all do not have. Knowledge like:
1-Chord structure.
2-Chord progressions.
3-Chord substitutions.

Plus whatever you have to offer besides the latest instrument discussions; which I feel are important.

+1

#439095 - 10/15/17 04:53 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: Stilli]
bruno123 Offline

Stili, one post and you selected #1, great.
Please ask whatever and it will be answered. Tell us a little about yourself and your instrument it will us in answering you questions.

John C.

#439097 - 10/15/17 05:49 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Uh John, +1 usually means an affirmation of your post. I don't think the responder was selecting #1 on your list. Just trying to clarify, nothing more.

chas

#439115 - 10/15/17 08:38 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
All of the above, plus at this stage I like to hear about new recipes for fried food. smile

#439117 - 10/15/17 09:01 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
zuki Offline

A "forgiveness" thread to all those I ever insulted smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#439122 - 10/15/17 09:55 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
DonM Offline

Great idea, I forgive them for being insulted as well! smile

#439139 - 10/15/17 01:44 PM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don, you gotta start watching "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" on the Food Channel - everything is deep fried! wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#439153 - 10/15/17 06:40 PM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Offline

Thanks Chas, it's easy to see I come from a different time, John C.

#439154 - 10/15/17 06:43 PM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: zuki]
bruno123 Offline

OK, Zuki you are forgiven. Now help get this thread off the ground.
John C.

#439161 - 10/15/17 09:51 PM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
All of the above, plus at this stage I like to hear about new recipes for fried food. smile

Did you ever hear of the typical dutch Frikandel, bitterbal and Kroket?
I am quite sure you will love them

http://keyszone.boards.net

#439162 - 10/15/17 09:53 PM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123

My Reasons:
1-Fellowship – I have made some precious friends through the years.
2-To see how and what other arranger players are doing.
3-To learn about the new keyboards.
4-To buy and sell my instruments. 80% of my buying and selling has been right here for the last 20 years. And almost all of it was done by trusting the buyer or seller. I bought my Pa900 from Don; If I remember correctly the check and keyboard went out about the same time.

1-Chord structure.
2-Chord progressions.
3-Chord substitutions.

Only M.H.O. John C.

Great ideas...

But if you want to discuss things, you will have to start posting about them, start with questions? Or challenges for others to answer them...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#439189 - 10/16/17 07:57 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I love Synthzone too and have made many good friends over the years.

The only thing I'd like to see added is a section for video or audio performances. There are many times that someone posts a video or audio of a performance, and I'd like to check it out but I'll be in situation were I can't.... After awhile the
performance post gets "buried" by all the other posts so sometimes I don't get around to watching it. Maybe having a performance section would help with that. I'm sure Nigel has plenty to do already, so I hate to even bring this up, but that really is the only thing that I feel could make SZ even better.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#439197 - 10/16/17 09:42 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: montunoman]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman

The only thing I'd like to see added is a section for video or audio performances.

Along those lines, how about reviving this thing where we picked a song (or two) and invited members to submit their version of it (along with a detailed account of how they did it and with what - ie. instruments/recording tools). We did it once before and it was fun.

chas

#439199 - 10/16/17 09:58 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

I agree, Chas - it was fun as long as there was some constructive criticism and helpful input from other members. I've posted several over the years and for the most part, I learned a lot of things that were very helpful. Of course, there are other forums that have this feature, and unfortunately, there is rarely anyone that says anything other than how wonderful the song sounds, whether or not it actually does sound good. I don't believe this would be the case here, though.

All the best,

Gary cool

#439202 - 10/16/17 10:14 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
cgiles Offline

Gary, we could ask that responders frame their responses as follows:
1. What I liked was ................
2. What I'd do differently is .............

That might work.

chas

#439205 - 10/16/17 10:30 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Offline

Chas, Gary it sounds like a great idea. I like the idea of using a framework for responses.
John C.

#439223 - 10/16/17 12:52 PM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: cgiles]
Melodious Offline

Loc: Florida
lol!

#439229 - 10/16/17 04:40 PM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
DonM Offline

John, you can program the foot switch or the EC5 to transpose up and down.

#439231 - 10/16/17 06:01 PM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
A SENIORS PERSPECTIVE OF FACEBOOK.

For those of my generation who do not, and cannot, comprehend why Facebook exists: I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles.  Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passers-by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

And it works just like Facebook.

I already have four people following me: two police officers, a private investigator and a psychiatrist.

#439233 - 10/16/17 07:21 PM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

rotfl

#439234 - 10/16/17 08:28 PM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Oh ! Come on Fran. You are just a big cynic.............But I agree with you. No Facebook for me.
Sometimes I wonder how I get through the day without it, but I seem to manage !!

Ray dance clap

#439250 - 10/17/17 08:02 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Couldn't have said it better!

Always good to see you around Fran.

Russ
(The guy in the weird hat behind the policeman)

#439251 - 10/17/17 08:47 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Facebook has turned out to be the best business card I ever had ... and FREE!

#439254 - 10/17/17 10:11 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi
FB is too volatile for a long lasting conversation...
And it is filled with "noise"...
A distant friend of one of my distant friends has changed his cover photo... Do I need to know?
A distant friend of mine loves his local baker, florist, butcher... Do I need to know?

Jørgen

#439255 - 10/17/17 10:14 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
Uncle Dave Offline

That's why there's an "off" button. Check in when you want - see who you want.

#439258 - 10/17/17 10:43 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Never had an interest in Facebook. Instead, I would rather meet people face to face, shake their hand, hug and kiss the ladies, and have a two-way conversation without hiding behind a screen or touchpad. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but I've managed to make it through life without facebook, twitter, etc... and I intend to keep on keepin on as long as I can without those distractions.

I had some young folks on the boat with me a couple months ago. It was a beautiful day, we sailed down the upper reaches of Chesapeake Bay on moderate winds at speeds of 5 to 7 knots, passed through several small waterways where ospreys, great blue herons and American eagles were sighted constantly as they fed on small herring migrating down the rivers and bay. The sky was very clear, the weather was perfect, just a few, small, puffy, white clouds drifting overhead. Here and there, large striped bass were surfacing, probably feeding on the migrating herring as well. As we approached the main shipping channel, a myriad of mega-yachts could be seen exiting the C&D Canal and Elk River as they made their way south toward Florida, the Bahamas and points farther south. What beautiful boats they were. Unfortunately, the young people in the boat rarely saw any of this - they were glued to their Smartphones, texting their friends, checking Facebook, Email, Twitter, etc... It was so sad to watch.

I wonder how they will be able interact with other people when they grow older? Will they really be able to show affection? Will they really know how to comfort someone in their time of need or grief? For some reason, I seriously doubt they will be able to do these things because they tend to live and die by that tiny screen in their hands. It's so sad!

Gary cool

#439261 - 10/17/17 11:01 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Gary,

Truer words were never spoken. I have a flip phone because it's cheap but I am constantly threatening to go back to a land line because I hate it.

#439263 - 10/17/17 11:49 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: Uncle Dave]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
That's why there's an "off" button. Check in when you want - see who you want.

Right...
But why become friends if you turn off the communication...?
Jørgen

#439267 - 10/17/17 01:55 PM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: joso]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By joso
But why become friends if you turn off the communication...?

I turn off the auto communication. I choose to follow only whom I want, but I can stay connected to everyone, and check in when I want to, like when there's something pertinent. Like it, or not, social media is here to stay, and my audience uses it, so I need to keep an internet presence, or loose momentum to my competition.

#439271 - 10/17/17 02:06 PM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: bruno123]
DonM Offline

As Dave said, it is a valuable tool.
I block anyone I don't want to see. I block political posts. I choose the people from whom I want to see posts. The pictures and conversations with family, grandkids, old friends are great. As with anything, it can be abused. Aspirin is good, but you don't need the entire bottle at once.
I was starting to get upset about all the people using their phones while I was playing, but I discovered that a lot of them were "googleing" the songs I was playing and looking up songs to request. Some of them are trying to play "stump the band", but I have news for them--if they can look it up, I can too! smile
I'm still learning to not judge so quickly and keep an open mind.

#439331 - 10/18/17 09:52 AM Re: I Love SynthZone -- What can we add? [Re: Fran Carango]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Love your facebook post Fran..I had a page only so I could have a business page attached for my band with pics, video, and our schedule so people knew where to find us. I friended others in the business I knew. Then they posted where they were performing everyday, using my bands page to advertise themselves. Others contacted my clients, undercut my price, and stole them. I took the page down and don't go on except to search for people sometimes.
As far as additions, how about a place where we could add ONE photo of ourselves performing, either named or guess the guy/gal?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online