SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#438753 - 10/08/17 04:54 PM Same keyboard, same song, two different styles...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Not to be outdone by the infamous Don Mason, I recorded the same song on my PSR-S950 using two different styles. The reason I did this was in response to a post on another forum where a young lady thought she might want to perform the song using a jazz style instead of something more traditional. Please don't throw any rotted fruit and vegetables at me for my sloppy right hand guitar interlude on the jazzy rendition.

Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves2

For some strange reason, I think my voice has improved over what it was a year ago. The docs have me on a new lung medication, and I can often go most of the day without supplemental oxygen, which to me, is a wonderful thing. I believe my vocals are softer, but somewhat cleaner since I have lost much of my lung capacity. I recorded the second song two years ago, while I recorded the first one earlier today. What do you think? smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#438756 - 10/08/17 08:46 PM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Liked both but am partial to the first version

#438772 - 10/09/17 07:00 AM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I just found a great Fall medley suggestion on youtube - there are a number of versions, but try putting "Autumn Leaves" with "When October Goes" ... PERFECT combo!
BTW - I've noticed the changes in your voice over the years, as your health affected it, but there is always a kind of "home base" tone that you haven't lost. With that said ... I'm partial to #2. Good job.

#438776 - 10/09/17 07:48 AM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Um....let's see. Number 2....no, Number 1. Uh...I can't decide. Both good. Both Classic Gary.
Eddie

#438783 - 10/09/17 08:46 AM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

I agree with Number 2 - my favorite style for that particular song, and apparently, the audiences and dancers I performed it for. Thanks for listening and commenting, guys.

Gary cool

#438785 - 10/09/17 10:09 AM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

clap

Great classics thanx for sharing...shows that any song can be done in any style if your timing is right... keys

#438799 - 10/09/17 12:28 PM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
One of my all time favorites. I love playing it in a Latin style because a montuno pattern flows so nice but it's nice to solo over in the swing style. It's a hard call... Thanks for sharing Gary, you sound real good on both!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#438806 - 10/09/17 01:31 PM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Paul and Donny, I really appreciate both of you listening and commenting.

All the best,

Gary cool

#438809 - 10/09/17 02:13 PM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Can't go wrong either way ... nice Jazz style ...
I find myself changing the style for this song almost every time I play it ... depending on the audience/venue, I will even change from Latin to Swing and back again for solos ...
Here is a lyric parody I often use for Senior Groups:
AUTUMN LEAVES PARODY

The Autumn Leaves Drift by my window,
Those lousy leaves, Mess up the yard..
I need you here To help with raking,
So please come home, It's just too hard...

The Autumn Leaves They're getting thicker,
The Autumn air It's turning cold...
Don't need no lips, Don't need no kisses,
But your sweet hands, A rake could hold...

Since you went away, The dishes pile,
And I'll get to them, In a while...
But I need you most of all, For raking
When Autumn Leaves Start to fall.....

#438818 - 10/09/17 04:24 PM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Love it, Tony. smile

Gary cool

#438820 - 10/10/17 01:33 AM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary ya did good again. Your voice does sound stronger. Dave’s thought about home base that you have not lost is right on.

I listened to both songs a few times – my favorite is the second one. The style and tempo fit the song; and your voice and delivery was warmer and laid back – just what was needed for that song.

Keep going Gary, you are someone to follow it gives us old farts some incentive.

John C.

#438829 - 10/10/17 06:54 AM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks John, I really appreciate you listening and commenting. It made my morning a bit brighter.

Thanks again, everyone,

Gary cool

#438849 - 10/10/17 10:58 AM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
Melodious Offline

Loc: Florida
Both styles are extremely well done Travlin' easy! I favor #2 slightly due to that Bossa Nova rhythm feeling...

#438852 - 10/10/17 12:29 PM Re: Same keyboard, same song, two different styles... [Re: travlin'easy]
solomon8 Offline

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Fl USA
Both are very well done. It is really hard to choose. I guess I like #1 a little better, but then, maybe not, #2. It is really hard to pick from such well presented material. You do have a wonderful voice........ and you play great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online