SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#438397 - 10/03/17 08:19 AM Re: Yamaha Genos Vocalizer? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
In reality, it is rare to see ANY keyboard demonstration where singing is involved - nothing unusual. However, I have seen Yamaha demos where Martin Harris was singing, and DNJ actually commented how good his voice sounded.

Realistically, during a live performance, VH is rarely used, if at all. The most common effects are reverb, echo and delay, providing depth and fullness to the vocals. The vast majority of our forum members DO NOT sing at all, and of those that do, vocal harmony is used quite sparingly.

The only reason I did not do a comparison recording last night is because I had a broncho-spasm attack, which made breathing very, very difficult. I'll try to do it later today.

Though some folks on this forum may think it is fun to degrade a product they have never seen, touched, felt or heard in person, I think this is foolish and in reality, they could be held criminally liable. However, they legally, could express their opinion if it were based on an actual hands-on experience with the device itself.

That said, I have never been a big fan of onboard vocal harmonizers, and for many years I have used an add on harmonizer. I have, however, used the other features of the vocal processor, all of which are very good, IMO from actual usage on stage. Over the years, Yamaha has come a long way with it's vocal processors and I would not speculate on how the new one will sound. No one here really knows. And, as the commercials for other products always say "Individual experiences may vary."

At this stage of life, no longer being on stage, it's unlikely that I will be buying a new keyboard of any brand. I am now relegated to the ranks of being a home player, which is not nearly as much fun as being on stage, but I still enjoy sitting down at the keyboard. I still am able to sing, and I record a song or two every week, just for fun. I post some on another forum, and on rare occasions, here. If I were still on stage, I would still likely not purchase the keyboard, but that would purely be a business decision.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#438402 - 10/03/17 08:33 AM Re: Yamaha Genos Vocalizer? [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
In reality, it is rare to see ANY keyboard demonstration where singing is involved - nothing unusual. However, I have seen Yamaha demos where Martin Harris was singing, and DNJ actually commented how good his voice sounded.

Realistically, during a live performance, VH is rarely used, if at all.

WOW. I couldn't disagree more, but that's just me, of course. I've perfected a style that emulates the vocal groups I admire, and I'm pretty sure that it's a major part of the draw to my shows. I look at harmony as more important than many other aspects of a show, but again, that's just me. It's part of my brand. I'm the harmony guy. I'm the Ace, the ONE Freshman, the Mills Brother, you get the idea ...
Anyway, maybe the reason so many are less than motivated to use VH is lack of inspiration from the instrument.
I would do a show with my old Korg i5s, as long as I bring a top notch TC harmonizer, and I'll wager that NO one would think it sounded dated, or substandard.
Face it - bass sounds have been awesome for decades, and electric pianos, too ... if the drums are not up to today's standards, no one will care, because, as I've stated many times, the drums are 4th on the pecking order of tones in my rig. If my vocals are right, the rest is gravy.

#438404 - 10/03/17 08:39 AM Re: Yamaha Genos Vocalizer? [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Yes we are spoiled ... and with lots of other stuff literally at our fingertips ...

#438416 - 10/03/17 10:08 AM Re: Yamaha Genos Vocalizer? [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By J. Larry
Notice how few of the Yamaha demonstrators sing? Yet, the vocalizer is a major feature, so to speak. Why do they add it to an arranger, if not important? Yamaha needs to employ some of the posters, here, to demo their products------i.e., those who sing well, while playing.

good post Larry.........something is fishy in Denmark here ....
Im thinking no change from the previous VH2 and thats not good ....
we'll see..

There was a report from our own Frank of CT on PSR Tutorial that the VH has been updated. I hope that is the case and if true, I would be looking at the 970 replacement in a couple years.

#438417 - 10/03/17 10:19 AM Re: Yamaha Genos Vocalizer? [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Gary even thou you are at home I like your recordings do more of it

you can be a you tube sensation .

#438419 - 10/03/17 10:20 AM Re: Yamaha Genos Vocalizer? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, read my post again - What I said was that I rarely see any keyboard demonstrations where singing is involved. The key word here is demonstrations. You are doing shows - not demonstrations and posting them on You Tube, though I would enjoy watching them if you did. I know that your vocals are top notch. Remember, I have heard you live on stage on a few occasions. However, unlike many players here, your vocals are essentially your right hand lead voice, and the same is true for me - I live and die by my vocals, but most players on this, and most other forums, are not singers, therefore vocal harmony is NOT their primary right hand voice. That was the point I was trying to make.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#438420 - 10/03/17 10:21 AM Re: Yamaha Genos Vocalizer? [Re: shueymusic]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Johnathan it not going to take you that long .

bring your check book like I am going to do.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online