SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#436278 - 08/19/17 10:50 PM Re: Gypsy Jazzers in this group? [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Wow.....I didn't think I'd get ANY response! Been into Gypsy for quite a few years now. Have probably about 100 Django recordings.

I also have "strums" done by Stephane Wrembel if anyone wants to practice with them.

As for me....it's my Achilles Heel. Every time I play GJ it comes out like a poor man's C&W blues.

Now the best part.......there was a movie produced by Woodie Allen a while back called Sweet and Lowdown and starring Sean Penn. The whole soundtrack is Gypsy as he plays a guitarist called Emmet Ray who is so in love with himself he is intimidated by no one but the master himself.....Django

The film is hilarious and the music, though slightly cleaned up for the soundtrack and a tiny bit sterile, is incredible especially with Sean Penn's screen playing (he's "high" through the whole movie).....and funny as heck.

I've watched the movie 1/2 dozen times and listen to the soundtrack often (but you've got to see the movie to appreciate the soundtrack!).

Here's one of the tunes played by Howard Alden, who I believe does the playing in the whole film. Seriously....even if you don't like GJ, if you're a musician.......see the movie.

The action starts at 01:28 on this video

and......a typical back street garage band Gypsy group.....how could you NOT like this stuff?

Edited by Mark79100 (08/19/17 10:52 PM)

#436316 - 08/20/17 06:41 PM Re: Gypsy Jazzers in this group? [Re: Mark79100]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I have posted this before ... we saw this group on a side stage at the Newport Jazz Festival a few years ago - I was about 10 feet from where this guy asked the bass player to sign his guitar ... I spoke to one of George Wein's - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wein - assistant producers and said that these guys should be on the main stage, but they haven't been so far ... they were great !!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online