SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#435455 - 08/02/17 10:18 AM Another one ---------
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
----of the many unknown, unseen, and un-bragged-about projects Russ (Capt. Russ) has made a substantial contribution to.

I have been involved with Habitat for Humanity for many years and when I heard about this little sub-group, I wanted to get involved. It's called 'Musician's Village', located in New Orleans and ----well, read the brochure at the link. Anyway, a while back, when Russ was looking for a suitable charity to make a donation to, I suggested HH with the donation directed to Musician's Village. In addition to his work with Nursing Home reform, underserved school music programs, down on their luck musicians, stray dogs smile , and anything else where he thinks he can be of help, he still finds time keep in touch with his friends. I'm probably embarrassing him, but I just think his friends here on the forum ought to know what kind of person this grumpy old man really is, the kind that will put his money where his mouth is. But then I'm sure some of the ol' timers like DonM and others already know that.

Anyhoo, I thought some of you might be interested in the story behind Musician's Village so I have included the following link.

http://habitat-nola.org/musicians-village/

chas

PS: Hey Russ, NOW can I have a organ smile.

#435468 - 08/02/17 02:21 PM Re: Another one --------- [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Well, Chas, since I believe that my net worth is probably less one year's interest on your motorcycle collection and motor home, buy your own DAMN organ.

Or, let's just trade stuff I don't need for stuff you don't need.

You need to know that, musically, politically, intellectually and in many other ways you are that rare friend a person feels real joy in knowing.

The world's a better place because of you.

Russ

PS. I'm looking into putting 1/3 of my net worth into a trust dedicated to our New Orleans friends. And, I'm re-shuffling some of my end of the year plans to send another check this year.

Be well.

R.

Edited by captain Russ (08/02/17 02:24 PM)

#435496 - 08/02/17 09:11 PM Re: Another one --------- [Re: cgiles]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Chas, it takes one to know one otherwise you wouldn't have posted this. smile You still are and always will be my two (the only two) favorite guys on SZ. You both put your money where your mouth is. And your being generous and caring has nothing to do with religion; it's all about being human in all the right places.

Respect!

T.

#435516 - 08/03/17 09:22 AM Re: Another one --------- [Re: Taike]

Rudy, spreading dollars around is easy. Dedicating your life to doing good the way you have is much harder, and, in the end, much more meaningful.you are very high on my list of people I admire.

I miss my little overseas family. Maybe some day....

Grandpa Russ

#435517 - 08/03/17 09:27 AM Re: Another one --------- [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By captain Russ
Rudy, spreading dollars around is easy. Dedicating your life to doing good the way you have is much harder.....

Russ, you beat me to it; I was thinking the same thing, honestly, and trying to think how to phrase it.

chas

#435518 - 08/03/17 09:35 AM Re: Another one --------- [Re: cgiles]

Damn, Chas. We'd have been real terrors if we had hung out in our younger days.

All that "mental epilepsy" you know?

Please send me a private PM to let me know how things are going.

R.

#435540 - 08/03/17 02:30 PM Re: Another one --------- [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Will do. Been really busy trying to get this motorhome prepped for sale. Can't use it anymore (you know why) and it's just sitting in storage deteriorating and depreciating. Just replaced all the batteries (coach and chassis). The perils of sitting in storage without a trickle charge... @950.00. Oh well.

chas

#435558 - 08/03/17 06:54 PM Re: Another one --------- [Re: cgiles]
Taike Offline

Russ, it's not that I'm "dedicating" my life to doing good deeds but rather that helping out whenever and wherever I can. Providing free education to monks just happens to be one of these deeds. These young men play a very important role in Lao society and it's a privilege helping them out. There are many ways one can help another. There's no price tag attached to helping out. Both you and Chas are fully aware of that. Too bad the majority thinks otherwise.

#435654 - 08/06/17 02:32 AM Re: Another one --------- [Re: Taike]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have believe that helping others is the way to happiness and contentment. My wife has cancer which has placed me in the category of being caregiver. It’s intense; but it has opened the door to a new way of living for me. I am reaching out to help people in need – being a senior it is easy to find those that are hurting. Sometimes just being a friend is all they need.

Life is good, John C.

#435776 - 08/09/17 09:35 AM Re: Another one --------- [Re: Taike]

"Dedicating" might be too strong a word, if the implication is exclusivity. The real issue is "core values".

Friend, you have that one covered in spades.

Give "da dude" and Nok a hug from me.

R.

#435815 - 08/09/17 06:20 PM Re: Another one --------- [Re: cgiles]
Taike Offline

You have their regards as well. 'Da Dude" is going to Thailand and hasn't stopped talking about it for the past six months. And once he found out he's flying on an Airbus A330 I had to put up with that as well. He sounds like a recording device set on REPEAT.

I'll be flying to Europe after Thailand for a 4-week stay. Have some things to take care of. Let's see what's changed after a 27-year absence. I already miss the Lao sunshine.

T.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online