SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#433307 - 06/23/17 11:01 AM Setting up recording studio.
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Would like some advice.

I'm thinking of setting up a home recording studio that I can also use to generate a little income.

I still own a Roland VS2480, several Rode condenser mics as well as the recording capabilities of my arrangers. My den would be an ideal small studio plus has a beautiful view of the river out back. There are no others, that I know of, providing this service in this area.

My target clients would be small groups and solo performers. I have done this in the past on a small scale.

Thing is, it's been 15 years since I've produced a commercially viable product. Back then it was all CD's...

Now? I'm not sure what clients would be looking for in a final product.

I'm not looking to do this full time as I have other sources of income.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Tx

Rog Lee

#433309 - 06/23/17 11:03 AM Re: Setting up recording studio. [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

This will become a money pit for you I would really rethink what your trying to do in a home environment,....here's some tips...

Edited by Dnj (06/23/17 01:42 PM)

#433314 - 06/23/17 11:35 AM Re: Setting up recording studio. [Re: guitpic1]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
lot to do here got to have good mastering unit too

i use a tascam dp 32 love the unit have done many tracks for me and others with this unit and has some mastering on board as well

depends how far you you want to take it

demo qlty or Radio qlt big difference my Friend .

#433348 - 06/23/17 09:25 PM Re: Setting up recording studio. [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Start with a Good DAW...

for recording i prefer my macbook and Logic X (which is only $200 and makes the Mac a whole lot afforable)
It does not only come with a good set of instruments but also with all the necesarilly and high quality effects for mastering the mix

add a mixing panel that also functions as audio unit, or just a good audio unit and stick to mixing with the software and a dedicated midi controller

http://keyszone.boards.net

#433351 - 06/24/17 12:10 AM Re: Setting up recording studio. [Re: guitpic1]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you have a PC then get yourself a good external MIDI/Audio interface, (Steinberg models are good value) as they come with good software controllers.
Get something like Cubase Elements (Which is quite cheap and will suit a lot of users) to get you going, than as you learn more you can decide how you wish to expand. (Cubase Elements can also be upgraded for reasonable price)
If you’re doing a lot of audio, then Steinberg’s Wavlab elements is a good place to start, and you an usually get both Cubase and Wavlab as a package even cheaper.
If you are going to use your DAW in a live environment, then Ableton Live is a good DAW to go for.
There are also free DAWs out there if you just want to try to see what it’s all about.
If you have a MAC then you are pretty much limited to Steinberg and Logic DAWs (Ableton Live should also now work with the latest MAC OS, but check first)
Have fun
Bill

#433353 - 06/24/17 03:30 AM Re: Setting up recording studio. [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Donny is correct about it being a money pit, and the chances of your ever 'generating income' from it are about 1000/1. The reason is because 98% of musicians already have some kind of home recording capability and the ones that want a quality level above that want a PROFESSIONAL studio way beyond what can be provided in a converted den. They would also want professional level engineering/producer services which you probably can not provide.

Depending on the gear you already have, a home studio for recording your own stuff can range from $500-2000. A 'pro' studio (drum room, acoustic treatment, 'pro' mic drawer, etc.) would probably start at 10-15k and go up to the value of your house (and beyond). The MOST difficult part though, is mastering all the skills necessary to provide professional quality recordings. I hate to sound so negative but, like riding motorcycles on into old age, some things sould a lot better in our imagination than they do in reality. JMO, though. YMMV.

chas

#433354 - 06/24/17 05:24 AM Re: Setting up recording studio. [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Donny is correct about it being a money pit, and the chances of your ever 'generating income' from it are about 1000/1. The reason is because 98% of musicians already have some kind of home recording capability and the ones that want a quality level above that want a PROFESSIONAL studio way beyond what can be provided in a converted den. They would also want professional level engineering/producer services which you probably can not provide.

Depending on the gear you already have, a home studio for recording your own stuff can range from $500-2000. A 'pro' studio (drum room, acoustic treatment, 'pro' mic drawer, etc.) would probably start at 10-15k and go up to the value of your house (and beyond). The MOST difficult part though, is mastering all the skills necessary to provide professional quality recordings. I hate to sound so negative but, like riding motorcycles on into old age, some things sould a lot better in our imagination than they do in reality. JMO, though. YMMV.

chas

DITTO wink

#433381 - 06/25/17 07:19 AM Re: Setting up recording studio. [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Tx again all for taking your time to reply.

If I fired up my VS2480 recording studio, my goal would be to not stick another dime into it as I already have all the equipment I need. By the way, the Roland VS2480 is still used in for profit recording studios today. It was a piece of equipment way ahead of its time.

Don't know if there would be much or any business. Nearest recording studio is 50 miles away and they charge a flat rate of $75 hour. And again, I'd only do this part time.

I do believe a lot of folks do have their own recording capabilities.

My biggest concern was what format the final product should be in since CD's seem to be on their way out.

Tx again.

Edited by guitpic1 (06/25/17 07:25 AM)

#433382 - 06/25/17 07:27 AM Re: Setting up recording studio. [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

By the way, this is the DAW I own....long since paid for.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/vs-2480/

#433383 - 06/25/17 07:30 AM Re: Setting up recording studio. [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
If I fired up my VS2480 recording studio, my goal would be to not stick another dime into it as I already have all the equipment I need. By the way, the Roland VS2480 is still used in for profit recording studios today. It was a piece of equipment way ahead of its time.

http://proaudiodvds.com/store/multitrack-recorders/roland-vs-2480-dvd-tutorial/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online