SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#433057 - 06/18/17 07:18 AM Re: How many have played in front of a live audience? [Re: Dnj]
JimboKeys Offline

Likewise 50+ years singing and playing in all sorts of settings (rock band, solo guitar, weddings, light opera, radio, TV, etc.) I had settled into just doing a few seniors gigs, but last December i found a rock tribute band looking for a multi-instrumentalist, so now here i am at age 65 playing rock star smile
As to why, other than the experience of live performing --- i'm basically lazy and need motivation. If i didn't have gigs i'd never get around to practicing and learning new songs.

- Jimbo

#433063 - 06/18/17 07:34 AM Re: How many have played in front of a live audience? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Mark is the only one that gets what Im saying regarding the interaction between on stage experience and a home player posting on SZ in my original post although I appreciate all the historical summaries......
thank you all for sharing

Edited by Dnj (06/18/17 07:35 AM)

#433066 - 06/18/17 07:44 AM Re: How many have played in front of a live audience? [Re: Dnj]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
I'll use this thread to reintroduce myself. Been a while since I have posted, I lost my password and was too lazy to get another one. Nigel helped me get up and running again. I played in bands from the mid seventies up until the nineties. Played in nursing homes for 9 years until health problems cropped up. I may return some day if I get straightened out. I don't miss playing in bars at this point and don't think I could go back to that. Funny how your perspective changes. Anyway, I have enjoyed the posts here for years and will jump in form time to time. I am not really a keyboard player BTW, mostly a bass player that plays rhythm guitar and I just use keyboard for recording and my own amusement.

#433165 - 06/20/17 12:34 AM Re: How many have played in front of a live audience? [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
I am not really a keyboard player BTW, mostly a bass player that plays rhythm guitar and I just use keyboard for recording and my own amusement.

I know exactly what you mean. I am really a guitarist but over the years I have also played bass and keyboard. Just play what is needed I guess.

#433182 - 06/20/17 08:33 AM Re: How many have played in front of a live audience? [Re: Nigel]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Along with my other problems I injured my left wrist and can no longer play the bass for more than an hour at a time. On the bright side, perhaps I will spend more time on keyboard since the synth action is easy to play and doesn't seem to affect it.

#433187 - 06/20/17 10:57 AM Re: How many have played in front of a live audience? [Re: Dnj]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - Interesting topic ... I have been playing for audiences for a little over 40 years. For me, part-time, but for some of the years, fairly often. Since some have added estimates of # of gigs/events played, I thought about that ... probably about 1200-1500 gigs perhaps. More if I include the more informal parties, jam sessions and such. Yes, equipment, audiences, music tastes/requests, all have changed plenty over the years. A lot of my years were with a 6 piece band; in the recent ~20 years, I have done more and more solo, duo and trio gigs.

It might be fun (as a separate thread) to share photos of our rigs from 30-40 (or more, for some) years ago! :-) I have a few pics of my old rigs, that I took when I was in high school, then college, then after college-age, etc. etc. - and the rigs have changed a lot! :-)

Jim

#433190 - 06/20/17 12:38 PM Re: How many have played in front of a live audience? [Re: jimlaing]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Been playing in front of live audiences of all kinds since I was 14 - 15 years old ... played solo, and in duets, combos and bands in accordion competitions (that's right, chas grin), and started a RnR band in High School ... played dances, weddings, private parties, with the same 5 guys for 26 years - mostly Friday, Saturday, and Sunday ... many weekend days in the summer I left family members partying poolside at my house as I went off to play a gig - but it NEVER seemed like a second 'job' ...
when I moved to RI, I didn't play 'professionally' for 7 years, then finally got the 'courage' to go out and try to get solo work and have worked pretty steadily since -nowhere near like the days in NY, but it's been enough ... still also do about 6 gigs a year with the guitar player in New Jersey ...

#433208 - 06/20/17 04:57 PM Re: How many have played in front of a live audience? [Re: tony mads usa]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Taking you KB to the streets for a different audience ....

#435917 - 08/12/17 07:17 AM Re: How many have played in front of a live audience? [Re: Dnj]
midisqueeze Offline

Loc: New York
The common thread which I can relate to is just how many doors have been opened and how many opportunities were realized through playing music. Been playing accordion for over 55 years with starting performing as a father and son accordion duo when I was only 10 years old. What an opportunity that turned out to be. Put myself through college playing weekends first with a trio and then as a solo. After college, played full-time with a drummer covering top 40 (in the mid to late 70's). Packed bars (I'm talking 2-300 people a night) playing four nights a week plus private gigs on weekends.
After finally breaking into day-time field of study, continued playing weekends with a guitar player for over 20 years. Now, after retiring in 2014 I'm back playing solo two nights a week. Love playing in front of an audience especially seeing reaction of people who have never seen or heard an accordion player do the things I can do. Definitely have my niche in Italian/American/Latin familiar favorites easy listening and dance music. Thank God every day for this gift and love helping others make some great memories. Always say I'm not that good, but have been doing it a long time. Also, I'm not a musician, simply hang around with them... It's not perfection people are looking for, it's the beat and the "sound"!!! They want something they can feel.

Ketron SD40, Ketron MidJay Pro, MusicTech-50 Digital Accordion, G. Verdi Lite IV acoustic accordion+Limex Pro III Midi, Baldoni Midi (Psuedo)-Accord (Keytar), iPad-OnSong App, Shure Headset Digital Mic., Behringer X AIR XR12 Digital Mixer, Excelsior Symphony, Vintage C. Fidardo Professional Accordion, JBL Eon 615 powered speakers.

#435932 - 08/12/17 09:07 AM Re: How many have played in front of a live audience? [Re: midisqueeze]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By midisqueeze
The common thread which I can relate to is just how many doors have been opened and how many opportunities were realized through playing music. Been playing accordion for over 55 years with starting performing as a father and son accordion duo when I was only 10 years old. What an opportunity that turned out to be. Put myself through college playing weekends first with a trio and then as a solo. After college, played full-time with a drummer covering top 40 (in the mid to late 70's). Packed bars (I'm talking 2-300 people a night) playing four nights a week plus private gigs on weekends.
After finally breaking into day-time field of study, continued playing weekends with a guitar player for over 20 years. Now, after retiring in 2014 I'm back playing solo two nights a week. Love playing in front of an audience especially seeing reaction of people who have never seen or heard an accordion player do the things I can do. Definitely have my niche in Italian/American/Latin familiar favorites easy listening and dance music. Thank God every day for this gift and love helping others make some great memories. Always say I'm not that good, but have been doing it a long time. Also, I'm not a musician, simply hang around with them... It's not perfection people are looking for, it's the beat and the "sound"!!! They want something they can feel.

Ketron SD40, Ketron MidJay Pro, MusicTech-50 Digital Accordion, G. Verdi Lite IV acoustic accordion+Limex Pro III Midi, Baldoni Midi (Psuedo)-Accord (Keytar), iPad-OnSong App, Shure Headset Digital Mic., Behringer X AIR XR12 Digital Mixer, Excelsior Symphony, Vintage C. Fidardo Professional Accordion, JBL Eon 615 powered speakers.

Jerry great memories...there are many accordion affectionatos on the SZ also....
glad your having fun in the trenches good luck to you and your music..

Edited by Dnj (08/12/17 09:07 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online